Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Notices

Old September 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM

Rhydderch has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkadinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhydderch
If he does not I'll just have Rasputin enter/leave engagement until he dies.
Disengage swipes are not mandatory to make.
True but the essential point is that no one will want to come near Rasputin except maybe Ne-Gok-Sa. He would have free range on the map and free disengage too since no one would touch him =P

In addition to glyph capture and healing, Rasputin could help shield other figures from cluster attacks such as Mimring's Fireline or the AE's Grenades. He would also be a the worst nightmare of anyone who plays with the Marrden Hounds! =P

I just think any figure with the ability to destroy an entire army in one shot will have balance issues especially if the ability is activated when the figure is destroyed, since it means you either have an instant win or a figure which no one will touch... unless of course Rasputin is the last figure you have on the board. Even then players might avoid him if it is a 3+ player game.

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett, Discworld
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:29 PM

toddrew has disabled reputation
Quote:
I do agree with the essential point of your post, though. He'd be extremely unfair on a glyph or at a chokepoint, for instance.
I'm gonna leave him as is for now - will be playtesting him (hopefully) this weekend. But, this is one of the dynamics that will be considered, if it's "fair" to allow this figure to hold a glyph or choke point.

I hadn't fully considered those implications when designing him (we hardly use glyphs), but kinda like the idea of him being able to do so, since offensively he is a liability. The main focus of this figure was his healing ability (as that is the folklore that I was familiar with), but when I read about his prophecy against the Romanov's, I thought it a juicy bit to incorporate. Originally, I was just going to make him tough to kill, in a nine-lives sorta way, as that was also the folklore I was familiar with.

As currently designed, I don't see his untouchability as of much use other than being able to stick around and heal wounded heroes (Kings and Queens more adeptly so) unless "victory points" or CTF scenario (then in the effort of fair play he'd be ruled out, unless part of the victory conditions were to hold the point for a length of time) - but I very much appreciate everyone pointing out possible "brokeness", as I'd like to develop him into a playable character. I added the karma marker in response to concern that he'd be able to attack without reprecussion (though I don't think that in practice that would be much of a threat, unless his 1 attack was boosted by glyphs, Taelord, etc., or facing an all venoc viper army ).

Also, don't want to completely threadjack this contest - the link to our customs thread is in my signature, please post comments there. I really do appreciate anyone's views of any of our customs

And you can see her
Before it cracks and goes out
She throws rocks at streetlights
Keeps the streetlight changer busy

Floundering Customs Thread
Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:38 AM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
7 days to deadline

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old September 23rd, 2006, 01:49 AM

My Contribution: THE SOULS OF GRISHAR

Oliver von Stiehl was a good man and a successful one. At the age of 29 he had made a name for himself in the elite circles of Austria as one of Europe's richest. He was also known for his generosity and kindness. He was a good man. Or so everyone thought. Deep beneath the gentle charm however, lay a dark secret. For unknown to his many friends and socialites in Hamsburg, Oliver was addicted to magic. It was through his magic that he had accumulated his vast wealth and enjoyed the freedom to be as wicked as he pleased. No one ever questioned how or why Oliver's enemies always turned up dead: there was no evidence, no clue, not even a whisper of the truth. His magic always saved him. Always.

But even dark magic could not save Oliver from his own obsession. In his final days Oliver received an unlettered package containing a single, mysterious tome. Oliver read the entire volume in one night and by dawn he had set out to find the keys of Sel Goth. With his vast resources he soon learned the cursed chalice and dagger had been locked away in the dusty vaults of a museum in Innsbruck. He quickly procured both and barely 2 weeks after he received the mysterious tome Oliver performed the ritual to unlock the Souls of Grishar. For hours he labored, filling the air with mad words and his own arcane magic. Too late did he feel the sharp point of his own knife at his chest. Too late did he realize a third key was required to unlock the Souls of Grishar: his own life. Pain wracked his body as the three souls of Grishar sprang forth from his open wound... and consumed him. The good man was gone.

One hand grasped the chalice tightly. It drew the cup forward and upward as if to drink: they prepared to complete the ritual. The magic-laced water never passed the lips of Oliver however for at the very last moment Vydar pulled the broken body to Valhalla.

Now across the battle-worn land of Valhalla, a hollow husk makes its eerie way across the battlefield, carried by the Souls of Grishar. Their translucent forms encircle the broken body and cry out in wrath and agony. Still half-bound in their immortal prison they lash out with their deadly attack that bypasses both iron and steel to wreak havoc upon the soul. Only those strong in body can resist their touch, while they themselves cannot be harmed by any sword or spell: their only weakness lies in the earthly vessel that anchors them to Valhalla, a vessel impervious to bloodloss and pain. Cunning and relentless the Souls of Grishar advance in the name of Vydar, the one who holds the magic-laced water created by Oliver that night so long ago... the only one who can free them now.

A strange footnote must be made of Oliver's story. In Austria his body was never found. The only clue was a single tome. It had no cover and but a single byline which read: Friedrich von Junzt. Even this single clue vanished shortly after its discovery, lost in a mysterious fire that engulfed the von Stiehl estate. The name and reputation of Oliver von Stiehl was thereafter forgotten.

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Old September 23rd, 2006, 02:59 AM
Master Custom Creator

Karkadinn has disabled reputation
Souls of Grishar = bane of all Deathwalkers...

Professional fiction
Fanfiction
To Ne-Gok-Sa
Like dating women
Statistics doom your players
Till they get lucky
Old September 23rd, 2006, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah I know. Thematically I think it makes sense. I personally believe there is more to the word SOULborg than a cool name and what better way to kill one than to use an ability which bypasses armor to strike at whatever lies beneath? I'm sure Reaper would tell me I have to take into account the Deathwalker glass jaw, and while I did not make the Deathwalkers immune to Spirit Touch, I did allow them to have a good chance to shoot the Souls down before they can do any damage. The Souls also have a fairly high cost which will hopefully help balance them out.

Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Web Wader

wow nice card Rhyd

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old September 24th, 2006, 04:27 AM
52nd runner up - Miss UK Pageant

robaula has disabled reputation
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I know. Thematically I think it makes sense. I personally believe there is more to the word SOULborg than a cool name and what better way to kill one than to use an ability which bypasses armor to strike at whatever lies beneath? I'm sure Reaper would tell me I have to take into account the Deathwalker glass jaw, and while I did not make the Deathwalkers immune to Spirit Touch, I did allow them to have a good chance to shoot the Souls down before they can do any damage. The Souls also have a fairly high cost which will hopefully help balance them out.
I see potential for an amazing piece of fan fiction in the contents of that last paragraph you wrote, Rhydderch...
Nice specials for your Rasputin - seems it would be an interesting figure to field.
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaula
I see potential for an amazing piece of fan fiction in the contents of that last paragraph you wrote, Rhydderch...
LOL! Maybe I should have entered the HS fiction contest then! Only it would have taken too much time. Hehe. Anyway which paragraph are you referring to? If you mean the one about the SOULborgs then thats a story I expect/hope Hasbro will develop in their comics one day. At the very least they have set up the story for it. Just take a look at the bio for DW8000: Deadly. That is how one would describe this sentient machine. It is not clear how intelligent it is, but one thing is certain: it is a deadly adversary. The Soulborgs are a strange mixture of metal and reason. Whether that reason is an artificial intelligence or an actual biological one, no one from Valhalla seems to know.

Now if you mean the last paragraph of the bio I wrote then thats a whole other story. I will say this though: von Juntz was not a name chosen at random. In fact there are several "goodies" in the bio as far as the names go. I think Fallen Templar should have recognized at least one of them...

Quote:
Nice specials for your Rasputin - seems it would be an interesting figure to field.
Thanks! I wanted to create an offensive ability which was not so clean cut. I compared him a lot to Deadeye Dan when I designed him since they both have a low attack and an ability to bypass regular defenses. The biggest balance factor is probably the fact that Spirit Touch affects large and huge figures, whereas most other abilities which bypass defense only work against small and medium figures. For most figures its not a big deal, especially since many of the large and huge figures actually start the game with either more life than defense or similar life and defense. The Deathwalkers are the one major exception, as noted before.

Anyway feedback is welcome if you can find my customs thread. Its lost somewhere on page 4 or 5 I think Fallen Templar can, of course, comment or ask for changes within his own contest thread. :P

Old September 24th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Web Wader

Hmmm Selgoth seems quite familiar

Old September 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM
52nd runner up - Miss UK Pageant

robaula has disabled reputation
Quote:
Quote:
Now if you mean the last paragraph of the bio I wrote then thats a whole other story. I will say this though: von Juntz was not a name chosen at random. In fact there are several "goodies" in the bio as far as the names go. I think Fallen Templar should have recognized at least one of them...
Hey Rhydderch, I hadnt read the bio you had written until just now. (before, I just skipped straight to the actual card - me being kinda lazy )
Just read it now, and its really quite cool Very Lovecraftian, in my opinion. Great stuff!
Old September 24th, 2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Templar
Hmmm Selgoth seems quite familiar

Quote:
Just read it now, and its really quite cool Very Lovecraftian, in my opinion. Great stuff!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games