Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old February 28th, 2022, 10:55 AM
The Silent Cartographer

GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Map symmetry: rotation vs reflection

I have always felt mirror (bilateral/reflection) symmetry had more to offer than rotational (radial) symmetry in map design. I was surprised recently to hear others express a preference for rotational symmetry. Here are some of the advantages I see of mirror symmetry.

Distinct map sections

Most maps have start zones on opposite ends, coveted areas (“battlezones”) centered between the start zones, and a few routes (“approaches”) from the start zones to the battlezones. Typically, maps have 2-3 approaches and 3-5 battlezones. In this graphic, the approaches are numbered and the battlezones are lettered.

Mirror symmetry allows for a greater number of distinct battlezones; rotational symmetry requires that the battlezones on opposite sides of the centerpoint match. Less repetition means a visually more interesting map. Battlezones can offer a wide range of advantages: height, glyphs, speed, protection, control, sight lines. Each distinct section introduces additional strategic options.

Map footprint options

The graphic above presents a matching basic footprint for both types of symmetry, but mirror symmetry offers an option that rotational symmetry cannot replicate: a bulge on one side of the map. A bulge can be used to tack on an extra battlezone, or simply to move a battlezone farther away from the start zones (or other map sections). Example:

Two hills

Many rotationally symmetrical maps have run into the two hills issue. There must be two identical copies of any hill that is not centered, allowing players to set up on opposite hills. If attacking one hill from the other is too difficult, players may settle in defensively, leading to less dynamic gameplay.

A map with mirror symmetry can showcase a single uncentered hill, or - if the design calls for two hills - differentiate the hills to incentivize movement.

Directional pull

On a map with rotational symmetry, the left and right approaches lead to identical battlezones. If one approach is better than the other, players will be pulled that direction. This pull can reduce or delay conflict (as players move toward opposite sides of the map), and can feed into the two hill problem (on a map with two hills). Trying to eliminate pull by balancing the two directions can result in less distinguishable approaches.

A map with mirror symmetry can actually embrace pull, by providing a challenging approach to an important battlezone on one side, and an easy approach to a less significant battlezone on the other.

Summary

All of these items can be boiled down to one simple notion: less repetition = more creativity. Most maps - and most highly rated maps - use rotational symmetry. Mirror symmetry maps are not automatically better; I just think the ceiling is higher. They are, unfortunately, much harder to design (due to the 24-hex tiles and some other terrain pieces). Even so, I encourage other mapmakers to explore the expansive possibilities offered by mirror symmetry. This thread is worth a look when getting started.

Here is a markup of Judgment Free to illustrate the basic concept.

Judgment Free offers three approaches (indicated by arrows), leading to three distinct battlezones (red, green, yellow). Two different express lanes (blue) provide quick access to the opponent’s start zone. The upper road (blue/purple) serves as a potential fourth battlezone, depending on the flow of the game.

This map is a one hill design. Space is tight; the roads and walls are intended to open up flanking opportunities. I try to encourage fluid play by creating a rock-paper-scissors dynamic between the battlezones. Yellow is the weakest, and should succumb to a player that controls Green. That area is somewhat vulnerable to a force on the upper road (purple). That road is dominated by Red, clearly the strongest position on the map. Red’s weakness: no clear sight to either glyph. A player set up in Red must move if the opponent settles on the Glyph of Wannok in Yellow.

Whether I succeeded or not, the goal was to leverage the flexibility of mirror symmetry to differentiate each section of the map from the others, so that players are presented with multiple strategic options from the start.

Please share any thoughts or perspectives on the symmetry types or any of the points I’ve covered here - I’m very interested in hearing other viewpoints! (And of course, map critiques are always welcome, here or in my map thread.)
Old February 28th, 2022, 01:21 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: Map symmetry: rotation vs reflection

^ Amazing! I've actually been "feeling this" lately as well...that is Mirror Symmetry = better. I've been doing a lot more of it lately in my mapmaking and I do feel 1) it takes a lot more thought and care to make the pieces all "work", and 2) you can be a lot more creative and dynamic. 100% Agree...just never had a good way to "put it".

This is very concise and very well written/argued. This definitely deserves to be tagged somewhere.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old February 28th, 2022, 02:50 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for the well thought-out explanation on this, gives more depth to the theory of mapbuilding
Old February 28th, 2022, 03:02 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

This is an excellent observation. More people should read this when designing maps.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old March 1st, 2022, 10:18 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

I can definitely get behind this as my last couple maps have been Mirrored and I have enjoyed them much more so.

Playing a rotationally symmetrical map where one side of the map is more effective than the other and your opponent forces you to use your weaker side is a tough way to play the game.
Old March 1st, 2022, 10:18 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Nice write-up. Definitely would love to see more reflected maps.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 3rd, 2022, 10:24 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I definitely appreciate mirrored maps, and I think you make a good point about having separate battlezones. I think some mirrored symmetry maps will create a large hill at A effectively making that the major point of contention. Having LOS blockers to separate out paths or positioning a glyph can balance out the different approaches. Int he thread you linked, there was one observation that I liked as well, namely that it makes it so that there can just be one glyph. Rotational maps have to balance the left/right pull to avoid being glyph dependent (I would almost always want Valda if I could get it).
Old September 4th, 2022, 02:38 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Great post GameBear. I've designed maps in both styles, but I don't remember specifically weighing the style of symetry for any of them. I usually just have a general vision that I wanted to develop. But once I pull my stuff back out of the wall I'm definitely going to try some side-by-side experimentation with similarly styled/themed maps in each symetrical style.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old September 28th, 2022, 03:59 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I really like this thread for giving me terminology to describe a feature of some of my favorite maps (Embattled Fen and Grutsbane Pass both leap to mind).

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios