Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Notices

Old December 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
I thought about why I feel it's a bad game, and came up with a better reason. I think it's bad because parents will let their children play. The childrens' minds are still developing, and if they see the "coolness" of shooting, that could affect their brain's development. It could get in their head that shooting is "cool."
As Dignan said, that can be posited about any fps. The age rating on a game you have mentioned liking, Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadrons is T on the PSP and 10+ on the DS. In it, you kill people with force powers and guns, and shoot down their spaceships. This game is actually made for children, but it's not bad as well? Modern Warfare 2 may have a difference in degree of violence, but they are both violent. Where does the line get drawn? Do you feel it is different because the killing is not only virtual, but the subject matter is also completely fictional, while MW2 is slightly more realistic?
I have to admit, playing through the airport level was hard. In fact, I couldn't even bring myself to shoot the civilians, instead firing into the glass ceiling. When it came to the SWAT team who could shoot back though, by the mechanics of the game I had to shoot at them or lose.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old December 20th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Bad game, IMO. A video game that teaches you how to kill people is horrible, it should be outlawed really. That's all I'm gonna say.
Should we ban shooting ranges too?

Also, if you don't like it, don't play it. Freedom of Expression, brah.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old December 20th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Bad game, IMO. A video game that teaches you how to kill people is horrible, it should be outlawed really. That's all I'm gonna say.
It depends on who's playing it. I'm twelve. I play it occasionally. I understand that killing is wrong, and would never dream of killing anyone. I even feel bad when I kill a spider.

If someone is that immature, then by all means, they shouldn't play it. It's a question of maturity.

Here was my post on the matter in one A_Train's threads a while back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Train View Post
as well as opinions of any members who weren't 12 that long ago
How bout members who are 12 right now?

I only play mature games at my cousin's house, and the games I play there, really aren't too gorey, either. We play Call of Duty World at War (usually just Nazi Zombies, it's one thing shooting people, shooting is cool).

Anyways, I think it really depends on the game. I've never played Halo before, but you've got to make a call as a parent on whether or not it's too violent (or anything else). Think to yourself, "Would I let him see a movie that violent?" Also, if you do decide to let him play a shooting game, be sure to remind him that death is not funny (unless it's the death of ).

Personally, I've never felt bad about shooting games. If you replaced the people you're shooting at with targets, or deer, or something else like that, I would still play it. Most people who play violent games don't play them because they like killing people, but because they like testing their reflexes, trying to improve, and playing with their friends.

Honestly, it's your call. I'm sure you'll do the right thing.

~Rednax, who would never let his parents be that un-cool at his house, mainly because I don't have idiot friends who bring M-rated games to my house without my parent's permission
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:32 AM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
I thought about why I feel it's a bad game, and came up with a better reason. I think it's bad because parents will let their children play. The childrens' minds are still developing, and if they see the "coolness" of shooting, that could affect their brain's development. It could get in their head that shooting is "cool."

I agree with you on that point to an extent. I don't think that little kids should be playing this game. But that really falls onto the parents on this one. They have the means to keep the game out of the house and keep their kid from playing it. If they choose to ignore the ratings on the box and let their kids play it, is that the game's fault?

More to the point though, is it simply your opinion that all media with "adult themes" is bad? The arguement you are making against MW2 can be leveled at any R-rated movie, mature video game, explicit music, or graphic novel. Kids can get their hands on Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 and basically read what happens in games like MW2. So is it a bad book because kids might read it and think that shooting people on a plane is cool?

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old December 21st, 2009, 01:14 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Quote:
I agree with you on that point to an extent. I don't think that little kids should be playing this game. But that really falls onto the parents on this one. They have the means to keep the game out of the house and keep their kid from playing it. If they choose to ignore the ratings on the box and let their kids play it, is that the game's fault?
As long as a child can realize that shooting is wrong there's no problem with them playing it. Very few people play shooting games, because they like to shoot people. Most of them play those games, because they look testing their aim, discovering what the next level is like, and playing with their buddies.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM

karl with a k knows what's in an order marker karl with a k knows what's in an order marker

Anyone have anything to actual say about the game instead of fighting about little kids?

Old February 26th, 2010, 11:16 PM

Hsskor is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

The multi-player is good, played it alot with my bros. It's not as bloody as world at war (which I like) but overall it's a good game. W.A.W. campaign is better but I think they focused more on the multi-player. anyone else got anything to say about it besides how it's bad for little kids? Also little kids don't need to be playing shooting games till they are at least nine, my little bro plays it with me and he can tell the difference between games and a real gun, the gun kills, the games don't.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:47 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I enjoyed the game, the multiplayer is awesome and frenetic and the level progression is pretty good. I haven't even been playing for months though because of Dragon Age.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old February 27th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I love MW2, I've been playing it a bunch. Just got my 4th Nuke today

It is a well-designed game, though. I just hate those occasional bugs that pop up (care package glitch and javelin glitch, anyone?). But still, all those challenges and such are such an excellent source of reward, playing feels rewarding, no matter what it always feels like you are accomplishing something.

Only thing I really, really don't like is how much that game caters to noobs/newbs. That game is just so easy to get good at. As an avid fan of Halo 3, it certainly seems like Halo takes quite a bit more skill and practice to be good at it.

Anyways, before I start a debate about Halo vs. CoD (which is pointless by the way, those games are as different as night and day), what are you guys' K/Ds and Prestiges and such?

I'm about to get to Second Prestige and my K/D is about 1.07 (and has been going up a bit lately).

M4A1, Scar, M16, and ACR FTW. (and sometimes a thermal .50 Cal if I feel like sniping)
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:14 AM

karl with a k knows what's in an order marker karl with a k knows what's in an order marker

I still think its a good game but I am getting Bad Company 2 this week when it comes out. I played the demo and semi-liked the first game. Change will be good for a little while.

Old February 28th, 2010, 06:27 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I actually enjoyed the campaign so much that I'm making a scape version (link below). I enjoy the multiplayer mode, though I've never gotten a higher killstreak than 5. It's the special ops that give me trouble. I'm stuck at 11 stars.

Old March 1st, 2010, 08:09 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

I didn't have a problem mowing down the civilians in the airport. What I did have a problem with though were the flamethrower missions in World at War. Those were rather off putting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Anyways, before I start a debate about Halo vs. CoD (which is pointless by the way, those games are as different as night and day), what are you guys' K/Ds and Prestiges and such?

I'm about to get to Second Prestige and my K/D is about 1.07 (and has been going up a bit lately).

M4A1, Scar, M16, and ACR FTW. (and sometimes a thermal .50 Cal if I feel like sniping)
My MW2 and MW1 K/D's are about 1.48. My World at War K/D is 1.84.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games