Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: 3 Player Games - Ethics?

If you want to do a 2v1, I recommend doubling the points (or a bit more, maybe 10-20% additional if everyone is equal skill) for the single player and letting him use the X marker as a 4th turn only he gets to take.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schulzy View Post
That said, all is fair in 3-player games. If you don't enjoy the potential for one guy to get ganged up on and obliterated, try playing that a player wins if the player to his left is killed.
We've done a lot like this over the years. A lot of fun. Tricky metagame, but good times.

We've also done a lot of castle maps. 2 v 1. We used the official scenarios to help give us a rough sense of balance.

We also found, generally, that if we had the Castle player have to start on the ground level behind his castle and with roughly even total points the game played fairly well. (So, I have 500 points on the ground level behind my castle. My opponents have 500 each, but are off at the far end of the map. They have more OMs than me, but, well, I have a castle.)

However, it's really all about balancing out the players you have. For us, we usually played my daughter and wife against me, so we found a balance that worked for us, but probably wouldn't work for everyone.

That's why I recommend playing a few of the official 3 player scenarios and using them to gauge your group and what works as a balance. (We really loved the Aarglynn map, fwiw.)

---

As for ethics, my feeling is to build your issues into the game. If you don't want players to be eliminated early, don't just ask people to be nice, when it's not in their interest to within the game.

Have rules for reinforcements, so that is Player X gets knocked out, he gets to roll for reinforcements and rejoin at the next Turn. Or have the goal be controlling a central Brandar glyph for 2 consecutive rounds (or just two consecutive turns). "Control" means, without any adjacent enemy units at the end of each turn. Or, as we've already said here, have the elimination of the player to your left end the game. So no one is out earlier than anyone else.

The game's objectives should match your desired outcomes for the game and the way you would like the players to play. Match the playstyle you want to a game style that matches it.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 02:01 PM

habs1009 knows what's in an order marker habs1009 knows what's in an order marker

I pretty much everygame get teamed up on and win about 60% of the time even out numbered

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Ah, 3 player games. I have only done this a few times. Therefor, my experience is limited. However, I find that I ALWAYS. GET. GANGED. UP. ON. Sorry, had to blow that steam off.
Anyway, Alliances are tricky. In a 2 vs. 1, extra OM's, advantageous terrain, or first dibs in a draft can be useful.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:09 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

3 Player maps/scenarios from the All Official Maps & Scenarios compilation:
Deadly Waters at Durgeth Swamps (3 players).
A Desperate Rescue Attempt at Trollsford Swamps.
The Stand at the Wellspring of Obsession
The Fall of the Dumutef Bridge at The Forgotten Forest
The Deadly Frozen Wellspring at Thaelenk Tundra
Ambush at the West Barbican & The Siege of West Barbican
The Battle for Aaryglynn & Total Destruction at Aaryglynn
The Return of the Exiled Defenders at The Outpost of Malodorr Swamp.

Other scenarios and maps are for 3-4 player games but are where everyone drafts the same amount and are kill-them all. the above have special scenarios where one team usually has more points than another.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:56 PM

rommel1369 is surprisingly tart

My group usually plays alot of 3 way. I have found that isometrical maps, glyphs in the center, and building terrain in such a way that helps funnel everyone to the center work best. However their are still instances where 2 gang up on 1. Now it should be that way if someone controls the center glyphs but people often bypassed them, instead going straight for an opponents start zone. Ultimately (and as others have stated) in order to make it as fair as possible it is best to simply give 1 player 2 armies (2v2).

A few maps http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=30190
Good Trades-KTZ-XXleprecaunXX, Vydar, generalgina, chaoserver
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:45 AM
This is genius...

The Disciplined Soldier knows what's in an order marker The Disciplined Soldier knows what's in an order marker

I've played in a few three player games, and it starts out as team up but then devolves into a an all out brawl, sometimes physically and verbally between the players themselves. But I still enjoy 'em.

Einar is the best general... End of argument...
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

One of my favorite tournament formats is the multiplayer FFA the way Clancampbell runs them.

It's what Lamaclown suggested right at the start of the thread:

Keep track of the point value of what you kill/wound. A single Krav Maga Agent is 33 points, for instance.

At the end of the game, the guy who's done the most damage is the winner.

The *great* thing about this format is that it discourages turtling in a way that traditional 2 player games do not.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
One of my favorite tournament formats is the multiplayer FFA the way Clancampbell runs them.

It's what Lamaclown suggested right at the start of the thread:

Keep track of the point value of what you kill/wound. A single Krav Maga Agent is 33 points, for instance.

At the end of the game, the guy who's done the most damage is the winner.

The *great* thing about this format is that it discourages turtling in a way that traditional 2 player games do not.
I really wanted to attend the last one! I may have to institute it for The Rapture of Raelin! if the Gang of Four turns out to be only Three this week.
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:02 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've always found that three player FFA's are concerned the best idea is to beat the unknown quantity first and then attack the person whose tactics you understand better. Probably why I'm attacked first more often than not (even I don't understand my tactics).

It can be completely unfair (but still a lot of fun).

Once we wrote several objectives down and put them in a hat and each of us chose one making sure no one knew who picked which objective. It was an absolute gigglefest.

Possible Objectives (I don't actually remember the ones we had):
Capture the flag
Protect highest (or lowest) point value of player on right (or left) until player on left (or right) is destroyed.
Destroy player on right (or left)
Capture Three (four) Glyphs

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; September 1st, 2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: As long as its fun - who cares!
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:20 AM

hobosock is surprisingly tart

I've played a lot of 3 FFAs in my Heroscape Career because it is apparently really difficult to get four people to meet at one time. There is no way to make a FFA fair, although if you are playing with newer players you could be more ethical and not double team that person.

The best way to ensure a fair game is to use a castle siege scenario. In my experience, it usually takes double the army to have a good chance of taking the castle anyways.

Or you could continue to do FFAs as long as every player is understands that they may get attacked from both fronts.
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobosock View Post
I've played a lot of 3 FFAs in my Heroscape Career because it is apparently really difficult to get four people to meet at one time. There is no way to make a FFA fair, although if you are playing with newer players you could be more ethical and not double team that person.

The best way to ensure a fair game is to use a castle siege scenario. In my experience, it usually takes double the army to have a good chance of taking the castle anyways.

Or you could continue to do FFAs as long as every player is understands that they may get attacked from both fronts.
Not to be mean, but I really do think there are ways to make it fair. In fact, I think this thread offers a lot of excellent ways to make a 3-player FFA fair.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles