Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old August 18th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Strategy against Krug/Arrow Gruts/Swog Army

I know there is another thread for strategy with Krug/Arrow Grut/Swog army, but I wondered if anyone had a specific strategy against that army.

I haven't tried it yet but how about this?

2 squads Warriors of Ashra 100
Nakita 120
KMA 100
Raelin 80

Nakitas and KMA out range the Gruts, Krug comes out to do his thing and Warriors of Ashra base him w/Raelin close enough to offer def. +. Nakitas could get adjacent to WAO's and add protecion from gruts with smokescreen, while safely blasting away at Krug. KMA can harrass gruts and have good chance agaist gruts ranged attack. I like the WOA against Krug because even when he's wounded and gets killer attack dice, they only need to roll one shield to block all wounds, better chances w/Raelin nearby.

Just my amatuer thought, hammer me if you like.

Admin may choose to merge this with other thread, but I didn't want to highjack it on my own.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:10 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
That army should work well. What you mainly have to figure out is a way to combat krug. DW work real well against this type of army. Rapid fire DW works the best, although grenade attacks are always great against tightly packed armies. Range is always awesome as well.
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:15 PM

feekonea has disabled reputation
Dude, that army is pathetic.
haha jk it actually sounds really good. I like the strategy.

great traders:

Hilo-scaper and NEMT
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Rodriquez has disabled reputation
go Talk to Rychaen:
in 3 games with him playing that army(with mimring thrown in)
and me playing 1xVenoc Warlord, 2xarmoc, 2xaubrians

the Venoc's won 2 outta 3.

one game was a massacre of orcs.
one game was a massacre of Venoc's
last game was merely a beatdown on the orcs.

but as always this is an army that relies heavily on the d20 to be werking...

cheers
Rod

another one to consider..if a Orc army with swogs and Grimnak...
chompie chompie on all the lil orcs...
and Krug's def is low enough that if ye can get yer orcs into position with swog support they can take him down in a few rounds....

cheers
Rod

good trades:Caravaggio, Gabbi, Drfeelgood,aljovin,vydar,rrhino,boom, Pallindromemaster, spidysox, Eckels, wytefang, Rym, Armegeddon, Fatboy Chubby, Forgehammer, Grison
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:15 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker
I realize that this will be a little over simplified, but the strength of the Arrow Grut army lies in it's bonding ability. Without the bonding, they are cannon fodder. By removing the bonded units (Mimring, Krug, Swogs) you greatly dimminish the effectiveness of that particular army.

Depending on whom you are playing, it is often easier said than done. You can generally get the biggest bang for your buck by focusing your attacks on any Swogs first. You not only remove a bonding choice, you also remove their boost for the Arrow Gruts.

If you find them leading with Krug, then slow him down with fodder units (read, any common melee units). You might even delay attacking him if you are to get some attacks in on any Swogs. Krug is fairly ineffective when swinging his purse of 2 X 2 attack dice before receiving any damage.

Mimring can provide some difficulties when played correctly by the opponent. However, if they over extend Mimring hoping for a big kill with his Fire Line attack, then swarm, swarm, swarm. He dies quickly when swarmed. Other than that, you are pretty much stuck with Ranged attacks against him, remembering to spread out as to cut down on his chances for a ranged flambe.

You should only waste attacks on the Arrow Gruts themselves if you cannot reach any of the other bonded units.

At least that's the way I have always played them...

UPC's Heroscape Strategy Blog (and whatever else the Muse sends my way...)

Old August 18th, 2006, 05:39 PM
has been BANNED

Jason is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I agree with Uranus. I've always had great success against Orcs by taking out the units that boost them 1st. 1 Taking out the Swogs 1st should be #'s 1, 2, and 3 on your objective list. Once the Swogs are gone the opponent is left with crappy 1/1's. Krug is good as we know but starting at 2/2 you can almost ignore him until the swogs are gone. Once they are killed then you can choose to either focus on the remaining weak gruts or on taking down Krug
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:47 PM

willwall54022 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven
That army should work well. What you mainly have to figure out is a way to combat krug. DW work real well against this type of army. Rapid fire DW works the best, although grenade attacks are always great against tightly packed armies. Range is always awesome as well.
??? Wo@ in my experience have worked against krug well. no need for DW

Some people say sexy and some people say willwall54022
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Gladiatrons and Blastatrons work well against gruts because they take away their disengage ability. They work well against Krug too because once you set up those 6-7 die attacks, he's toast.

A well played Arrow Grut army can work surprisingly well against 4th. Mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:12 PM

SoulfulKillingMachine has disabled reputation
Use lots and lots of explosive attacks. The swog rider rolls defense first, so if it dies, the archers might as well be made of cardboard.

-DW9K 140
-James Murphy 75
-Johnny Sullivan 65
-old Drake 110
-airbornes 110
TOTAL 500

I'm sorry, I don't speak emoticon.
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:54 PM

ares834 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Your startegy sounds great but fails because of Krug. Sure you try to hold him down with WOA but he could just diengage and take all th wounds to boost his power then he comes in and kills the KMA.
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:07 PM

SPECTER has disabled reputation
Please delete this post. (Forgot to quote and reposted on accident)

"That which is above is as that which is below"
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:09 PM

SPECTER has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares834
Your startegy sounds great but fails because of Krug. Sure you try to hold him down with WOA but he could just diengage and take all th wounds to boost his power then he comes in and kills the KMA.
I honestly think the original idea sounds pretty good. But like Ares points out, there is always the chance of not getting that shield. And then, its bad news. The WOA are a lot less valuable as each one drops.

The Deathwalker concept - I prefer. Just by personal taste I suppose. Id love to bang up the arrow gruts with Cyprien. Hes a new favorite of mine.

"That which is above is as that which is below"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles