Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 4th, 2018, 01:01 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Heroscape Power Rankings: Complete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Hatomato Toro's not too bad at all in 2,000 point single general army builds.
Ah, yes, I play them all the time!
We had a 2v2 game where teams had a combined total of 2015 points to ring in the 2015 year. I used Acorlah and a ton of Aubriens plus frenzy boosters. Surpringingly effective, but more because of Frenzy.

Maybe we’ll do a mega game for 2020.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old April 4th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
You should! 2,000 points is really where Heroscape starts to come into its own.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 4th, 2018, 03:42 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have to admit, sometimes (i.e. on a special occasion), 2,000 super or mixedscape is a lot of fun.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 4th, 2018, 05:11 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have to admit, sometimes (i.e. on a special occasion), 2,000 super or mixedscape is a lot of fun.
Let's just change all tournament formats to be 2,000 points from now on. Problem solved!
Old April 4th, 2018, 07:27 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I think doing "all" anything one way would be a problem rather than a solution.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 4th, 2018, 08:07 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I don't know what you're talking about. Doing "all" of something is the only way to ever do it! What, should we exercise caution or something?
Old April 4th, 2018, 08:56 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Lower figures doesn't do much for Kyrie because 3x Heavies/Grim, 3x Dwarves/Mogrimm, 3x Knights/Gilbert, 3x Romans/Marcus/MBS, 3x Blades/Grim/Tornak, 3x Nagrubs/ TKN, etc. are still better. 3 attacks per turn is real weak.

I agree that Sentinels don't die to Q9... but Q9 also doesn't die to Sentinels. 3 attacks of 3 vs 7 (most likely 9)? Not too great. Minions are certainly better in this regard.

While B+ are still competitive to a certain extent, you don't tech your army to handle B+ units. Kyrie are niche enough now that it doesn't really give Braxas an advantage over Nilf for having a better matchup against them. Again, the better matchup over KMA is absolutely huge. This is why I never got why people ran Braxas with PKs: both struggle vs bonding melee but do great vs KMA/range. They help with 4th/10th/Stingers, but it still lacks a consistent melee answer.

Last point is on Hounds: they have several key advantages over Kyrie, from greater speed (despite sometimes inconsistent and no flying), an excellent ability in Plague, similar stats, resistance to auto-kills that are devastating for higher-costed squads, and yet are cheaper. They are also a B+ and seen equal to or more than in the meta than Kyrie. FWIW, Nilf handles the Hounds matchup much better.
Lower figures means less swarms and high numbers, and more expensive beefier figures, which is absolutely better for them. Those melee combinations are nice but they aren't abusing higher numbers that would be more a problem for the kyrie, instead the figure limitation means the rest of their army would have something more expensive which the kyrie want in a head to head.

I also just think we're going to disagree on the kyrie's power, regardless of any meta or matchup analysis. 6 minions vs. 12 knights in a vacuum I dont think is that bad for them.

Sentinels aren't amazing at killing Q9 (not much is) but i think Q9 is in the same predicament. 3 3 dice attacks or 5-9 low dice attacks into sentinel's defense is just okay. Also kyrie are single spaced flyers against a 5 move double spaced figure, there's a good chance some will have height. Kyrie are 3 attacks per turn, which is significant in high level play, 4's what you mostly see, but kyrie have real survivability, it helps how many attacks they will ultimately get. Unless Braxas is on the field , and also Cyprien and BWs.

I think I started out my original post wrong, I thought Nilf was already A, and I was arguing Braxas should be A as well. But because Nilf is A- it made it look like I was saying Braxas is better than Nilf. I'm not. I think Nilfheim should be A and Braxas as well. Which is better? I think Nilf is better, but Braxas is still very good, it's close.

And it's worth mentioning just because something's the same letter grade doesnt mean they're exactly even, it means it's almost equal or close, or that it's not a significant enough difference to be a different letter grade. Like 10th i think should be A, but still think 4th are better, just not significant enough to push a different letter grade.

Hounds we'll disagree on. I think their weakness to soulborgs (which are abundant in competitive play) and potential movement stunt are pretty big problems. Also being a double spaced squad has its number of problems on a lot of maps. I think it would've been a lot cooler if they made the Hounds have absurdly high movement on very high rolls. Like on 16-19 they have 10 move and on a 20 they have like 12+ or something, that would've been dope. Would've made their low rolls more acceptable.

We have disagreements, but good discussion nonetheless.
Yeah, good talk! You going to GenCon this year? Hope to see you there!

I guess I disagree that 4 is the normal amount of attacks per turn. Most competitive melee is at 5, so having only 3 (and mediocre ones at that in the case of Sentinels) is pretty rough.

Disagree on Sentinels getting height; would have to be a pretty poor player to leave Q9 in a position where there is higher terrain adjacent. If they do, they don't deserve to win haha.

Agreed on differences within ranks.

Disagree on soulborgs. In the last 5 years, GC has seen a decline in Trons, Q9, and Rats. As such, Q10 is really the only one you are going to consistently see, and even then, Kaemon is the better choice (not trying to spark yet another debate but it had to be said haha. Probably the difference of Kaemon at High A- and Q10 at Low A-.)
Old April 4th, 2018, 09:21 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Pshaw

That's right OEAO. No one made day 2 running straight blasts and then a bunch of stalkers the year before. :P

That said I totally watched a sentinel kill Q9 in two hits while Q was in Raelin's aura. Totally a regular occurrence.

Okay now seriously. The thing with kyrie is they last longer so even with fewer attacks, they tend to hold their position better. I'm not sure I'd bring them to an event where I can't control the matchup because both have matchups where they are really good and ones where they are awful and I tend to not like those for the current set of Gencon formats.

~Dysole, who had to throw some jabs and should be at Gencon barring meteor strikes hitting her or something

Last edited by Dysole; April 4th, 2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old April 4th, 2018, 10:00 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Pshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
That's right OEAO. No one made day 2 running straight blasts and then a bunch of stalkers the year before. :P

That said I totally watched a sentinel kill Q9 in two hits while Q was in Raelin's aura. Totally a regular occurrence.

Okay now seriously. The thing with kyrie is they last longer so even with fewer attacks, they tend to hold their position better. I'm not sure I'd bring them to an event where I can't control the matchup because both have matchups where they are really good and ones where they are awful and I tend to not like those for the current set of Gencon formats.

~Dysole, who had to throw some jabs and should be at Gencon barring meteor strikes hitting her or something
Fair enough. Definitely an outlier, and the trend I noted stands: soulborgs are played less now than they were 5+ years ago.

Honestly? I'd never bring either, which is a good indication that Kyrie shouldn't be A-. I've probably run just about every true A- figure and up in at least 1 event, even if it was just in a 4x4 event. Never Kyrie, and never Hounds.
Old April 5th, 2018, 01:28 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Shrug

I'd think about bringing minions and like heirloom to a 4x400 or something just because I could see that army being stupid good against some of the usual cheese. It runs the matchup risk but I'd feel decently confident in rolling those dice. Of course, I'd have to want to play in a 4x400 first.

~Dysole, who prefers formats that allow her to bring more bizarre army combinations
Old April 5th, 2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. Doing "all" of something is the only way to ever do it! What, should we exercise caution or something?
What I'm saying is that different units shine in different contexts, so playing in one context only all the time (which I think, btw, the tourney scene has done a great job of avoiding) is generally something I'd try not to do.

Old April 5th, 2018, 08:44 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Sentinels on height thing was not necessarily when they're adjacent to Q9 but also when they're traversing the board being shot at by him.

I still think Sentinels x2 + 4th x4 and Minions x2 + 10th x4 are pretty damn good armies, and aren't the only two armies sentinels/minions are good in. But it's okay to disagree.

I remember when Q10 came out, there was debate which was better between him and Kaemon Awa, and a lot of people said KA. At this point I think Q10 is better, I'd actually probably put Q10 at A and leave KA at A-, I think the 2-4 attack with the 4-2 attack on the same figure (and also a 8 range single shot of 4) just makes him so versitle and always strong.

Speaking of KA, I was going to bring this up actually, but does anyone else feel like the Hydra replaced KA? Both fill the same 120pt. killer multi attack hero spot, but the hydra is stronger (I think it's one of the best figures in the game personally, maybe A+ imo). KA has his long range and perks of his own, but the hydra's hard to beat in comparison. I've noticed I don't see KA very often at tournaments anymore, in fact he's almost become rare, and I feel like it's because he's in the hydra's shadow. And hydras are all over the place at tournaments of course.

Kaemon Awa's still a great figure, obviously. Deserves his A-. But it's just something I've noticed / been thinking about.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion