Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:03 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Power Creep

I did a search first, but this term is in so many posts that I couldn't find what I was looking for.

The term Power Creep is coming up a lot in the WotC thread in the news section. This may be blasphemous but I have to ask... what is Power Creep?

<ducks>
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Power Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys
I did a search first, but this term is in so many posts that I couldn't find what I was looking for.

The term Power Creep is coming up a lot in the WotC thread in the news section. This may be blasphemous but I have to ask... what is Power Creep?

<ducks>
Some companies release figures that are slightly more powerful than previous releases. This encourages (forces) competitive players to purchase them. Over time the older figures (or cards or whatever) are no longer viable competitive choices and are therefor obsolete.

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:10 AM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
yes, If you would like a perfect example of this marketing tactic pick up Games Workshop products. They are all about it.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Power Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Some companies release figures that are slightly more powerful than previous releases. This encourages (forces) competitive players to purchase them. Over time the older figures (or cards or whatever) are no longer viable competitive choices and are therefor obsolete.
Ah yes, something I've definitely experienced just didn't know the term. Thanks GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_calvin
yes, If you would like a perfect example of this marketing tactic pick up Games Workshop products. They are all about it.
Yeah, 40K is the other miniature game I play. I've been fortunate to not experience it yet as I'm still fairly new to the game and they haven't messed with my Ultramarines too much, but I have seen them send some other players in my group batty by doing just that to Chaos and Orks.

Question answered, feel free to lock this one up.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I would say most collectible games are susceptible to power creep as it forces players to purchase new product to compete. Newer cards/figures are more powerful or more efficient than older cards/figures. This causes older items to fall out of favor for the newer items. Power creep can also cause the game to become unbalanced and limit the number of competitive deck/army builds available to players. 40k has a small amount of power creep but GW suffers more from redoing rules and army books every few years to sell army books and newer sculpts. They also will make less used figures more powerful and repackage them to be more expensive per figure.

Newb.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM

dragonfire has disabled reputation
Will it happen in scape?

My Signature
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:35 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire
Will it happen in scape?
No way man. People would get way to ticked off.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_calvin
Quote:
Will it happen in scape?
No way man. People would get way to ticked off.
That and the game was not intentionally designed for officially ranked competitive play (which can breed unbalanced units by its very nature) and does not have blind purchase (which can lead to disparity in available units--rare, uncommon and common as an example). The major tournies for HS have been fan run and the designers/playtesters have done a great job of keeping all the available units balanced so far.

Newb.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:55 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Will it happen in scape?
The first Master Set came out in late 2004. Seven waves and two large hero packs later and the original RotV figures can still hold their own against the newcomers. That speaks well to the lack of power creep so far. Hopefully that will continue to be the case after the transition from hasbro.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Hopefully Q9 will continue to be the most feared unit in tournament play. If the KMA, Nilfheim or the AE become no-shows in a tournament, then power creep is probably setting in.

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old January 27th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Harbinger of Aquilla

teekay has disabled reputation
This would be my one biggest fear with HeroScape;

WotC + tournaments = power creep

bad_calvin is absolutely right. If WotC start holding sanctioned tournaments and declare, for example, Waves 1 and Waves 2 are banned or that we see bigger and bigger units come down the pipe that make RotV obsolete--that would be the end of the game for me.
Old January 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death!
The original set had point ranges from 50-150. This was probably a necessarily conservative range, since the game was untested.

Seven waves later (including several unreleased point costs we know from later expansions), we have point costs from 10-225 in classic Heroscape. The increase has not been that much (150% that of Mimring), and the figures in that range (Charos, Braxas, Jotun, etc.) are not at all undefeatable. Tor-Kul-Na is a better bargain than the others in most cases, but even he can be taken out by 220 points of enemies. The lowest point figures are even among the most recent.

I don't think we have seen any power creep at all. Marvelscape raises the bar a lot, but even there, the costs are fair. Hulk, for example, can be taken out by less than his own point cost even without instant destroy powers. Outside of Marvel, points are not likely to exceed 225 by much, and even if they include Thor, the most they will likely cost is 400.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games