Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs
Dungeons & Dragons Customs Hey the title says it all

Old September 16th, 2010, 01:41 AM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Good Pig's D&D Custom Heroes - New! Dwarf Sniper for Aquilla

The main goal with these customs is to fill in gaps in already existing Heroscape themes and mechanics. I've created all heroes and no squads for three reasons. One, heroes are what give Heroscape flavor in my opinion. Two, they are much easier to do from the good D&D sculpts that are available. Three, it is much more cost effective. Common squads generally need between 2-5 sets of them with 2-4 figures each to make effective use in the game ($$$). No thanks, I'll wait for the officially released squads. Most of theses figures are readily available on Auggie's at the best prices you'll find on the interwebs.

Thanks for looking. Please leave some feedback, especially if you've taken the time to play test a unit.

New! Rhom Coppershot - Dwarf Sniper for Aquilla

I haven't updated this thread in awhile so I thought I'd preview one of the 4-5 units I'm working on.

Utgar Heroes - 8

Spoiler Alert!

Jandar Heroes - 4

Spoiler Alert!

Ullar Heroes - 2

Spoiler Alert!

Einar Heroes - 3

Spoiler Alert!

Vydar Heroes - 1

Spoiler Alert!

Aquilla Heroes - 2

Spoiler Alert!

Destructible Objects - 1

Spoiler Alert!

Pictures of units (click to enlarge)

Last edited by Good Pig; November 7th, 2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added: Rhom Coppershot - Dwarf Sniper for Aquilla
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Good Pig's D&D Customs

Just commenting on the one that brought me to the thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Pig View Post

The Zombie Hulk looks pretty freaky. I gave my 2 zombie squads I had to my brother, so I made this guy for him to try out.
"Abomination" is a freaking stroke of genius - just the perfect power to help the zombies out in the currently evolving metagame. My only complaint is that I think it makes more sense if we make the zombie hulk an uncommon figure.

I worry that paralyzing fear is actually too strong. ZRA is a pretty awesome power, and anything that boosts the attack potential of zombies needs to be very carefully balanced to account for that. A similar idea would be making an aura bonus that only applies when attacking/defending against undead, but that's probably too metagamey.

I like Horde Shriek. Alternatively, you could set up some sort of interaction along the lines of the MRT's war cry, or maybe the reverse of the war cry (if the zombie hulk does not attack and ends the turn unengaged, you get a turn with the zombies). I'm just spitballing here, though - what you have is fine.

I think I might make my own blatant ripoff of what you've done here, if you don't mind. You've got my creative juices going. Nice work!
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Just commenting on the one that brought me to the thread...

Quote:

The Zombie Hulk looks pretty freaky. I gave my 2 zombie squads I had to my brother, so I made this guy for him to try out.
"Abomination" is a freaking stroke of genius - just the perfect power to help the zombies out in the currently evolving metagame. My only complaint is that I think it makes more sense if we make the zombie hulk an uncommon figure.
Thanks! That was my original idea for creating the custom.

Quote:
I worry that paralyzing fear is actually too strong. ZRA is a pretty awesome power, and anything that boosts the attack potential of zombies needs to be very carefully balanced to account for that.
I chose -1 defense because it isn't as good of a buff as +1 attack and it fits thematically. The aura is cool because it would draw a lot of fire from the zombies to the hero and then work well with Abomination to give him the opportunity to come back again once killed.

Do you think his cost is accurate? Should it change if he was made uncommon instead of unique?

Quote:
I think I might make my own blatant ripoff of what you've done here, if you don't mind. You've got my creative juices going. Nice work!
Right on. If you want to buy the figure he's on Auggie's for $2.79.
http://store02.prostores.com/servlet...Detail?no=5972
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:30 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
I've been looking at some cool/cheap D&D figures on Auggie's recently and I finally bit the bullet and purchased them to make customs out of. A lot of ideas have already been sketched out, but here is my first official looking completed custom. The Iron Dragon Prowler now fights for Vydar.

Didn't give him any breath attacks, although they are supposed to have lighting breath and shields, but rather focused on his solid iron defense and attack. Thought he'd make a great counter against other dragons and Vydar range (Q9 & Q10's nemesis) with his Ricochet ability.

There is supposed to be a blue dragon coming for Aquilla eventually, but this brown dragon looked like it would fit pretty well also. I'll have to test out his special to see if it's too good. Was going to make it affect all figures, but then he'd never see any play with the Greenscales.

I think the Drow are really cool figures and have fun abilities. They just need a good hero to rally around. Why not a dragon?

When speculating over the D3 figures the name 'Evar Scarcarver' made me think of a dwarf. Then when I read the D&D card for the Frost Dwarf I thought it could make a good counter draft to fight against Lava Resistant heroes and while bonding with one of my favorite squads, the Axegrinders.
Wonderful customs, every one!
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Wonderful customs, every one!
Thanks a lot! If you play test any of these and find the points way off please let me know.

Last edited by Good Pig; September 21st, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old September 17th, 2010, 06:05 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! That was my original idea for creating the custom.

Quote:
I worry that paralyzing fear is actually too strong. ZRA is a pretty awesome power, and anything that boosts the attack potential of zombies needs to be very carefully balanced to account for that.
I chose -1 defense because it isn't as good of a buff as +1 attack and it fits thematically. The aura is cool because it would draw a lot of fire from the zombies to the hero and then work well with Abomination to give him the opportunity to come back again once killed.
I like the drawing attention thing, and I agree that it's great thematically. I just worry that it's too powerful. I'd have to test it before I'd be comfortable with that power.

Quote:
Do you think his cost is accurate? Should it change if he was made uncommon instead of unique?
Uncommon definitely adds to the utility of the "Abomination" power - I think the figure needs to be more expensive to make that work.

I think I'm going to make a weaker (but very similar, overall) uncommon version. I'll let you know when I post it.

ETA: how big is the base on this figure? Can it fit on a hex, or would it have to get rebased onto a double-hex base? How does the length from toe to toe on this figure compare to DW9k?

Last edited by dok; September 17th, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I think I'm going to make a weaker (but very similar, overall) uncommon version. I'll let you know when I post it.
Yeah, I was thinking about this one today and I think I'll change it up to an uncommon as well and rework his power to get him in the mix in the early game. Also I'll make him more flexible to work with more undead units and multiples of his uncommon. I'll rework the photoshop file once I'm home.

Zombie Hulk of Morindan
Uncommon Hero

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 3
70 pts

Paralyzing Fear (get rid of? keep?)

Horde Leader's Shriek
After revealing an order marker on this Zombie Hulk of Morindan, and before taking a turn with him you may take a turn with another Zombie Hulk of Morindan you control or any undead squad you control within 6 clear sight spaces.

Abomination
When a Zombie Hulk of Morindan or a Zombie of Morindan destroys an opponents large or huge figure...(same)

I upped his points to 70. Can't say for sure what it should be without testing him. Basically I think there are two ways I could go with this guy.

Option A
Movement Bonding with zombies + keep fear aura

Option B
Lose fear aura, but give him full turn bonding with either another Zombie Hulk or zombies (or any undead squad).

Only thing I'm worried about with him is turning him into another Khosumet.

Nice thing about being uncommon is he could help bring back another one of his uncommon brothers.

Quote:
ETA: how big is the base on this figure? Can it fit on a hex, or would it have to get rebased onto a double-hex base? How does the length from toe to toe on this figure compare to DW9k?
I'm actually not sure I don't have him and haven't seen a picture online with any sort of scale comparison. I put together this custom for my brother (Cyberclaw16). I may order one or two though.
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking about this one today and I think I'll change it up to an uncommon as well and rework his power to get him in the mix in the early game. Also I'll make him more flexible to work with more undead units and multiples of his uncommon. I'll rework the photoshop file once I'm home.

Zombie Hulk of Morindan
Uncommon Hero

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 3
70 pts

Paralyzing Fear (get rid of? keep?)

Horde Leader's Shriek
After revealing an order marker on this Zombie Hulk of Morindan, and before taking a turn with him you may take a turn with another Zombie Hulk of Morindan you control or any undead squad you control within 6 clear sight spaces.

Abomination
When a Zombie Hulk of Morindan or a Zombie of Morindan destroys an opponents large or huge figure...(same)

I upped his points to 70. Can't say for sure what it should be without testing him. Basically I think there are two ways I could go with this guy.

Option A

Option B
Lose fear aura, but give him full turn bonding with either another Zombie Hulk or zombies (or any undead squad).
Here's my version. I was thinking along very similar lines to you, obviously. I kept the points at 60 but dropped it to 3 wounds (same points/wound as the zombies themselves). It's quite close to your option B, although it's not quite full bonding. I wanted to avoid chain bonding via Ornak, and I also wanted to make it hard to consistently get 4 attacks in a turn.

I like the idea of allowing him to activate another Zombie Hulk in stead. Thematically, I sort of like just staying with zombies, though, as opposed to opening it up to undead squads in general. Plus, if you allow Death Knight bonding, it's chain bonding again (although you could restrict it to Utgar, I suppose).

Yeah, I've talked myself into it - I'm going to edit it now to allow the Zombie Hulk to activate another Zombie Hulk with that power.

Quote:
Yeah, it definitely needs testing. The way I have it worded, there's room on the card for a third power of some sort if it's needed. There's tons and tons of good options - some sort of zombie slam special attack, fear aura, adjacency-only fear aura, bonus to adjacent zombies... I could keep going.

Quote:
Nice thing about being uncommon is he could help bring back another one of his uncommon brothers.
Yep, that part is nice. You also have the chance against an opponent with lots of large figures to send your ZHs forward and then just let them soak up wounds, and then the Zombies of Morindan can bring them back later. A horde of ZHs would be cool in a hero-only format, too.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm actually not sure I don't have him and haven't seen a picture online with any sort of scale comparison. I put together this custom for my brother (Cyberclaw16). I may order one or two though.
Ah, OK. I've played your brother at a tournament in Boulder, by the way.
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:32 AM

Added a new custom: Sevvicus for Utgar.

Probably organize these by general once there are enough of them.
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:44 AM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:

Servicus would have good Synergy with Ornak and/or Hydrae. Cool custom.

-Kaiser "The Sleepy" Cat

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Cat View Post
Quote:

Servicus would have good Synergy with Ornak and/or Hydrae. Cool custom.

-Kaiser "The Sleepy" Cat
Thanks. I figured that he'd force your opponent to kill him first, much like how Raelin is used in the game.

Besides Hydra/Ornak, another great use for him could be camping behind Krug. Wait til Krug has soaked up 7 wounds then use the A Sacrifice To Utgar power to keep him alive while getting his 2 attacks of 9.

I just opened up my shipment from Auggie's this morning and he looks even better in person.
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Option A

Option B
Here's my version. I was thinking along very similar lines to you, obviously. I kept the points at 60 but dropped it to 3 wounds (same points/wound as the zombies themselves). It's quite close to your option B, although it's not quite full bonding. I wanted to avoid chain bonding via Ornak, and I also wanted to make it hard to consistently get 4 attacks in a turn.

Quote:
Yeah, it definitely needs testing. The way I have it worded, there's room on the card for a third power of some sort if it's needed. There's tons and tons of good options - some sort of zombie slam special attack, fear aura, adjacency-only fear aura, bonus to adjacent zombies... I could keep going.
Are you ready for a screeching U-Turn?

After playtesting my version, I found that the zombie shriek, as I worded it, gives very little value once the hulks are all in position. You really want your turns on the zombies themselves, so once the Hulks are engaged you don't want OMs on them any more. That was sort of the point, because I think a consistent 4 attacks per turn would be too powerful for the zombies, but the way I wrote it it's too easy to just engage the hulks and ignore them. I didn't want consistent 4 attacks/turn, but I didn't want the hulks to get completely shut down, either.

So... given the way my pseudo-bonding power draws opposing figures into adjacency, I think the zombie hulk does need to have some passive power to hurt adjacent figures. So... I'm going to run a test with the powers exactly as I had them on my version, plus paralyzing fear that only works on figures engaged to the hulks. I think this could work pretty well.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs