Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old September 6th, 2022, 09:29 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Elite 5 View Post
This is an interesting concept. I wonder if you will be able to shift its form in the middle if the game?
Ooh, I bet it is. I only saw the "Unique Squad" bit of the image and didn't notice the "Unique Hero" bit.
And now I wonder, would the change from Hero to Squad be at-will and both-ways? Based on the lore for the faction so far, I would guess so. The alternative would probably be "starts game as Hero, fractures into Squad on death," which could be a dynamic for a different hive-mind hero. Perhaps a new Marro Hivelord that's just two dozen Nagrubs in a trenchcoat?
Awesome imagery!
My guess is that you start the game with the Unique Hero and Unique Squad. The Unique Hero can take wounds to spawn more of the Unique Squad (to the max of the unique squad), and/or the Unique Squad can merge with the Unique Hero to recover it's health and/or re-create the Unique Hero if it dies.
Old September 7th, 2022, 04:35 AM

Swarm knows what's in an order marker Swarm knows what's in an order marker Swarm knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarm View Post
Hope it's not a Marro ripoff! Hives, Hiveminds and castes.. That's a Tyranid/Marro theme already
And these ones look just like gnids. Marro Hivelords are suing for copycatting their troops

So far, the craven court is the first release that left me dubious... Guess I'll see what comes next before making up my mind.
Old September 7th, 2022, 05:53 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Elite 5 View Post
This is an interesting concept. I wonder if you will be able to shift its form in the middle if the game?
Ooh, I bet it is. I only saw the "Unique Squad" bit of the image and didn't notice the "Unique Hero" bit.
And now I wonder, would the change from Hero to Squad be at-will and both-ways? Based on the lore for the faction so far, I would guess so. The alternative would probably be "starts game as Hero, fractures into Squad on death," which could be a dynamic for a different hive-mind hero. Perhaps a new Marro Hivelord that's just two dozen Nagrubs in a trenchcoat?
Awesome imagery!
My guess is that you start the game with the Unique Hero and Unique Squad. The Unique Hero can take wounds to spawn more of the Unique Squad (to the max of the unique squad), and/or the Unique Squad can merge with the Unique Hero to recover it's health and/or re-create the Unique Hero if it dies.
Could be you start with a squad and the last one left becomes the hero...increased powers, etc. Two cards to play - the hero comes into effect when only one squad member is left.

I have a custom units like that. The squad costs 120 points but the hero is a 0 point card. Based on a curse last one of the squad surviving transforms by supernatural forces and is taken over by the curse but that's just backstory. He must attack every round or take a hit.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; September 7th, 2022 at 05:55 AM. Reason: If you can remember he's the last one standing...it's a great effect.
Old September 7th, 2022, 06:31 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Sir Heroscape was hypothesizing that it would be too clumsy to physically have individual bugs that can be put onto and removed from a sculpt. So I'm thinking, if this is so, that there will be only two sculpt types--the Hero and the Squad, as others have noted above. Keeping track of their strengths with wound markers, one can transform into the other under certain circumstances; you just replaced one with the other.

A set would come with one Squad, and one Hero, as MegaSilver says above. I would have thought multiples for bugs, but it does say "Unique Hero" and Unique Squad."

The sketches show two sizes of bug, and the Hero is made up of fewer but larger size sculpts with different features, where the ones that make up the Squad are smaller (because more are in the group). So they change features during metamorphosis, as well as abilities. There will be a formula for how many littles may turn big, and vice versa. Would there be limitations on making the change? Do you lose any leftover numbers? Does a "reduced" weaker unit have the same powers, or any? They would be easier to defeat--possibly taking 1 wound per little bug, whereas the Hero takes no loss until it is defeated. I can see trying to retreat the reduced units, as you do in a wargame, perhaps to reassemble them to full strength!

It will be interesting to find out how they work...Designer Skynight says they've already been playtested!

Last edited by chas; September 7th, 2022 at 06:52 AM.
Old September 7th, 2022, 07:23 AM

SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby!

I think this is a squad that can gather together to form a peanut-base hero. And I don't think we're seeing different sized bugs here, I think the scaling for the hero was shifted down to fit it into the frame. I only see for certain 3 different molds (round backside turned up, round backside turned down, and pointy backside) for the Legionnaires, but that doesn't mean that all of the squad members are shown in here. It could be a massive squad (6-7?) to allow for the "swarming" talked about in the update.
Old September 7th, 2022, 08:48 AM

Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Very neat! I like the adaptive, Q9-like ability. Under the classic distribution model, I could imagine this unique hero/squad filling a booster all by themselves.
Old September 7th, 2022, 11:41 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encarmine
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknox
Quote:
there are many factors leading in to some of these choices, and while we are not going to properly answer the question to everyone’s satisfaction on a Discord server, it is safe to assume this is not 2004, and this is not a U.S. only initiative.
I think that has to do with the historical units & the way that factions were determined for historical units by how those armies are viewed in US history
Which is more complex when it's a joint initiative across different continents with different worldviews
The only one that stays cut & dry is a lot of the Einar stuff being associated with Asia, since Einar clearly operates on an honor/shame basis with a high regard for discipline
Using subject matter which may not be acceptable in all Asian markets. So you can begin to see the larger issues.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknox
That probably doesn't affect getting Mayans/Aztecs
Although probably any depiction of indigenous tribes runs a risk
Zulus too would be cool
Are you sure those cultures would appreciate that representation of their history?
Quote:
Again, we are not saying “never” on historical units, only that they represent a higher complexity to execute then perhaps assumed, and that some topics, such as buccaneers and pirates are a representation of an easier path to execute historical content and make selections.
I have to say I do think this is a bit of a copout. There are ways to approach this that are culturally sensitive to some extent. For instance, Paizo (the authors of the Pathfinder RPG) lean heavily on non-Western cultures for mythical creatures, story tropes, and inspiration for the cultures in their setting. One of the ways they accomplish that in a very laudable fashion is by sub-contracting the work to freelance writers who are either descended from a given culture or immersed in it in other ways (perhaps via academic research).

For another example, Unmatched: Battle of Legends, Vol. 2 has a couple of non-Western characters (they look like they are from African folklore to me, but I haven't looked into it) and the back of the rulebook credits some "Cultural Consultants."

Perhaps that is what Encarmine is alluding to when he says they "represent a higher complexity to execute then perhaps assumed." He did say it wasn't a "never" on more historical units, so hopefully they do get around to it.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 7th, 2022, 11:43 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Today's Designer's notes
Quote:
Quote:
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 030 - "TO STEP DOWN FROM HER THRONE ENSURES THE DEVASTATION FOR HER RIVALS" Queen Maladrix The Conquerer is the living manifestation of The Craven Court’s utter hatred of their enemies. Her mere presence on the battlefield represents dark omens to her enemies, as the Craven Court’s harbinger of doom. Queen Maladrix’s sheer size allows her to tower over opponents, slicing apart attackers with ease and unleashing a whirlwind of fury and death in the center of the Craven Court’s battle line. As a member of the royal house, Queen Maladrix The Conquerer is able to spawn a brood around her on the battlefield, initially hiding the scale of her forces, then overwhelming enemies with a horde of skittering carnage, while quickly expanding her power across the war host.
I'm getting major Alien queen vibes from this figure.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 7th, 2022, 11:50 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun

There’s my girl
Old September 7th, 2022, 12:39 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Sounds like sort of a mobile Marro Hive! Very interesting.
Old September 7th, 2022, 01:23 PM
Opps. He did it again.

Airborne Elite 5 is surprisingly tart

I'm getting serious Xenomorph Queen vibes from this one! She looks so cool and so terrifying!

EDIT: Looks like I'm not alone in the Alien queen inspiration
Old September 7th, 2022, 01:31 PM

Larmo knows what's in an order marker Larmo knows what's in an order marker Larmo knows what's in an order marker

I'm getting pretty worn down on the fantasy units and only give a quick glance to the discord announcements. the comments above about historical units have me pretty worried that this isn't going to recapture the heroscape magic. the main thing that drew me to heroscape and still defines the game to me is rotv - orcs, men in black, samurai, vikings, robots, WWII paratroopers, aliens, eves, and dragons.

the new factions showcased are all very cool on their own, but they aren't mohican scouts and ancient roman gladiators fighting templar cavalry either. it sounds like we'll never see those units again.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion