Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion
Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in GI JOE / SIGMA 6?
No (I only want heroscape universe) 35 42.17%
Yes, it would rock! 46 55.42%
What is G.I. JOE? 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 17th, 2006, 12:59 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
UUUGGHHHH Will it ever end....
Old October 17th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Rhydderch has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgosCap
I think anime is way dumbed down.
Well I don't really remember the old GI Joe very well and have never seen Sigma 6. However I wanted to ask you what you mean by that statement? Do you mean all anime is dumb or just that the anime version of Sigma 6 is dumb? Just wanted to ask because a lot of anime is actually very high quality and very deep.
The main problem is that most of the import titles on mainstream TV were originally designed for younger audiences whereas the more mature anime rarely makes it to mainstream because our kids cannot handle "blood or serious themes" even if the overall messages of many of those anime are positive and good Of course some decent anime are brought to America but are relegated to Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network so they do not get very much exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight
UUUGGHHHH Will it ever end....
Well put, Sky.

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett, Discworld
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Point Blanks has disabled reputation
My response to anime being dumbed down: Cowboy Bebop.

As for future expansions... Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast, who owns Magic... see where I'm going with this one?
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:45 PM

ArgosCap has disabled reputation
Well, first of all, let me just say that I didn't mean to offend all the anime fans out there. There is some great anime, I'm sure. I'm not a big fan, but I've seen some good stuff. But the anime that they feed the kids these days on TV is....retarded. I'm talking about stuff like pokemon, yugioh, etc. I tried watching saturday morning cartoons a few weeks ago, and saw some stuff like "Spider Riders" and that wrestling show, and I just wanted to cry (poor kids).

I'm not saying that silly is bad. The original GI JOE was as silly as any other cartoon, but there is a diference between silly and just plain dumb. Sigma 6, like most of the other anime sows, is all about hyperactive art, with virtually no story. I have seen two episodes of Sigma 6, and they featured some awesome action sequences...but there was so much action going on, that there really wasn't a story, and the dialogue was pathetic.

A typical episdoe of the old GI JOE: Two Joes are tricked into believing that they have been given full command of the unit. One of them wants the power, but does not have the leadership skills. The other has the ability, but not the will. It causes chaos, until both learn to cooperate.

The episode of Sigma 6 that I watched: The joes attack a giant island fortress on motorcycles to rescue a high tech chopper. When they realize they are outgunned, they launch a rocket to destroy the fortress that they are still in. They find the chopper in the nick of time, and escape. Yeah.

But, like I said, I'm glad that the characters are being kept alive in some form or another.

Visit my new site, THE FREE UNIVERSE to explore the universe of public domain and freely licensed characters, settings and story concepts.
Old October 18th, 2006, 10:07 PM

Havokscry has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhydderch
The main problem is that most of the import titles on mainstream TV were originally designed for younger audiences whereas the more mature anime rarely makes it to mainstream because our kids cannot handle "blood or serious themes" even if the overall messages of many of those anime are positive and good Of course some decent anime are brought to America but are relegated to Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network so they do not get very much exposure.
I think it's primarily due to the way society over in America views "cartoons". Heaven forbid, if they have blood, swearing, or even some nudity like is custom in the anime imported from Japan.

It's all about the all mighty dollar over here. I love the classic G.I.Joe and Transformers G1, but I wasn't so naive as a kid to know that the toys made the cartoon. As long as the toys were popular and sold, the cartoons would stay on the air and I did a helluva job to support my cartoons. I'm not sure if the anime from Japan is driven by toy lines.

I still watch cartoons on Saturday mornings. Most are childish, but there is still that piece of childhood in me. I also enjoy the anime that Cartoon Network airs. To me, Justice League Unlimited and Batman the Animated Series rivals any anime series in terms of visuals and storytelling. Bratz on the other hand can burn in.....

I wouldn't hate a G.I.Joe or Transformers Heroscape spinoff, if it involved the characters that I grew up with, but unfortunately the "target" audience is of today's kids and that would involve the Sigma 6 and the Transformers: Cybertron. I'd rather have them stick to one or two lines and build on them instead of spreading their development team too thin on Heroscape, Marvelscape, GIJoescape, Transformerscape, StarWarscape, etc.

Old October 25th, 2006, 01:55 PM

brigade101 has disabled reputation
G.I Joe would so freaking rock. At least the old series would . The movie they made that was halfway serious. Why oh why couldn't they have made it before/after the " programs have to be educational " years. I wanna see Sgt. Slaughter vs. Krug .
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Sigma 6? Absolutely not. That show lacks everything that made the original GI Joe classic and warps the characters into bland anime stereotypes. Where's the excessive patriotism and military overtones? Instead we've got narration by a faux computer geek who cobbles together sentences by throwing darts at a wall full of tech words and... you know, rather than rant any longer, I'll just stop there, sorry.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:44 PM

Bixby knows what's in an order marker Bixby knows what's in an order marker
Remember the old Gary Coleman commercial...

"Just Say NO".
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:13 PM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
It would be fine by me. However don't we already have a Duke clone??(Sgt. Drake)

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:55 AM

GQmonkee has disabled reputation
I'm all for it. As for hating the New Sigma Six direction of GI Joe, I can understand that. So...don't watch the show, but I must say the uniform designs rock! They'd look great imho.

Old January 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!
GI Joe fan from waay, way back.

But I'm against this, for the simple reason that if it DID happen now, we'd get Sigma 6.
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:01 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQmonkee
I'm all for it. As for hating the New Sigma Six direction of GI Joe, I can understand that. So...don't watch the show, but I must say the uniform designs rock! They'd look great imho.
I've seen far too much anime for the Sigma 6 suits to look that good. Honestly 90% of my hatred for them probably comes from Duke's visor, which just looks silly to me. Snake Eyes got a solid redesign, but he's also the character that remained closest to his roots too. Really the design of the show is just trying to hard to combine the popularity of anime with the nostalgia of G.I. Joe, but doesn't really prove to be a great example of either.

And I have to throw another shot at Hi-Tech. Listening to him talk just makes my brain hurt. I understand every word he says, I just wish he did as well

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion