Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old October 10th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 10/10/18]

Isis was the name of a goddess far longer than the name of a terrorist organisation, and will more likely be the enduring association 10 or so years from now... I think it's clear enough what the name's coming from.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old October 10th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Isis was the name of a goddess far longer than the name of a terrorist organisation, and will more likely be the enduring association 10 or so years from now... I think it's clear enough what the name's coming from.
That may be true, and I wouldn't be upset if Astro chose to keep the name Isis, I just thought that Iris might currently be a more acceptable name, and one similar enough to the original that it would be an easy transition to make.
Old October 10th, 2018, 05:07 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Dark Isis' Battleball bio specifically mentioned that she's from Egypt, so I think that the inspiration for the name is clear. However, I see little reason in intentionally stirring the pot, so to speak, and we already have a precedent with the original designers (very likely) naming a unit Major Q10 instead of Major Q8 to avoid potential controversy. That wasn't confirmed, of course, but it's the only sensible reason that I could find for Q10's name, and it leads me to believe that they would've done something similar in this situation today.
Old October 10th, 2018, 05:11 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Am I just super out of the loop? What's theoretically wrong/insensitive/controversial with Major Q8?
Old October 10th, 2018, 05:21 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

The other SoulBorgs follow a pattern, such as Deathwalkers being named after their defense dice (7/8/9, respectively), and Major Q9 was clearly named after the 9 dice in his Special Attack. In addition to this, the higher numbers were generally more expensive or "better" than their counterparts, which made sense from a thematical standpoint of units being improved over time.

This suggests that Major Q10's name should've been Major Q8, since both of his Special Attacks feature 8 dice and Q9 seems like a potential evolution of him. Of course, there are exceptions to this convention like Major X17, but those are much more apparently outliers than Major Q10 is.

I forget whom had posted it originally, but I remember reading speculation that the name Q8 was too similar to Kuwait, which could've given the designers pause. This was never confirmed as far as I'm aware, but I think that the reasoning behind it is sensible enough, and I'm perfectly fine with making a similar small name change to Dark Isis.
Old October 10th, 2018, 05:34 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Fwiw, Iris is growing on me, if only because the whole 'speedy shimmery' bit she has going on makes her more reminiscent of the Greek rainbow and messenger Goddess Iris than Isis, the Queen of Egypt and Goddess of Magic (to massively over-simplify).
I do think it'd be a little silly if we didn't feel we could mention Isis, though - she's an important goddess, and of course things would be inspired by her. My family does designs based on ancient gods for Superscape, and if I ever chose to post them I would hope I wouldn't be called out for posting a future Isis card, and I'm fairly sure there's a DC character called Isis C3G will likely get to at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
The other SoulBorgs follow a pattern, such as Deathwalkers being named after their defense dice (7/8/9, respectively), and Major Q9 was clearly named after the 9 dice in his Special Attack. In addition to this, the higher numbers were generally more expensive or "better" than their counterparts, which made sense from a thematical standpoint of units being improved over time.

This suggests that Major Q10's name should've been Major Q8, since both of his Special Attacks feature 8 dice and Q9 seems like a potential evolution of him. Of course, there are exceptions to this convention like Major X17, but those are much more apparently outliers than Major Q10 is.

I forget whom had posted it originally, but I remember reading speculation that the name Q8 was too similar to Kuwait, which could've given the designers pause. This was never confirmed as far as I'm aware, but I think that the reasoning behind it is sensible enough, and I'm perfectly fine with making a similar small name change to Dark Isis.
To my mind, Major Q8 just sounds silly. Q10 sounds much stronger.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old October 10th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Fwiw, Iris is growing on me, if only because the whole 'speedy shimmery' bit she has going on makes her more reminiscent of the Greek rainbow and messenger Goddess Iris than Isis, the Queen of Egypt and Goddess of Magic (to massively over-simplify).
I do think it'd be a little silly if we didn't feel we could mention Isis, though - she's an important goddess, and of course things would be inspired by her. My family does designs based on ancient gods for Superscape, and if I ever chose to post them I would hope I wouldn't be called out for posting a future Isis card, and I'm fairly sure there's a DC character called Isis C3G will likely get to at some point.
I'm glad you are warming up the change.

If the character is specifically the Goddess Isis, I doubt anyone will have any problems with it. I wouldn't worry about it in that case.
Old October 10th, 2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
You seem to be more knowledgeable about mythology than most, so it's nice to hear that Iris is actually a fitting name. The rainbow angle is definitely interesting, and I could always add in a line about the light glimmering on her armor as she runs.

I do think that it's a bit of a different situation from the actual goddess, though. Some random athlete hero taking up the mantle is a far cry from something much more directly inspired by the actual myths, so I would be surprised to see people make a fuss in that case.

Quote:
To my mind, Major Q8 just sounds silly. Q10 sounds much stronger.
Maybe the theory is completely off and the original draft of Q10 had a 2x5 and 5x2 Special Attack, which was found to be too powerful. I just always wondered when I was younger why Q9 was stronger than Q10, and saw that many others had asked the same question.
Old October 10th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
You seem to be more knowledgeable about mythology than most, so it's nice to hear that Iris is actually a fitting name. The rainbow angle is definitely interesting, and I could always add in a line about the light glimmering on her armor as she runs.

I do think that it's a bit of a different situation from the actual goddess, though. Some random athlete hero taking up the mantle is a far cry from something much more directly inspired by the actual myths, so I would be surprised to see people make a fuss in that case.
That's probably fair enough to say. If someone were designing, say, some sort of fantasy, myth inspired Egyptian guards called the Guardians of Isis, I'd say it would be worth sticking to (assuming I thought they had any justifiable mythological basis, which would probably be unlikely, this is a thought experiment for the sake or argument), but here going for Iris may be better, particularly since, as I said, she seems to have more in common with Iris than Isis - you get a more fitting mythological connection and dodge controversy in one fell swoop!
I'd suggest tweaking her bio to give her a Greek/Anatolian origin in that case, though - Iris isn't striking me as a terribly Egyptian name.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old October 10th, 2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
That's probably fair enough to say. If someone were designing, say, some sort of fantasy, myth inspired Egyptian guards called the Guardians of Isis, I'd say it would be worth sticking to (assuming I thought they had any justifiable mythological basis, which would probably be unlikely, this is a thought experiment for the sake or argument), but here going for Iris may be better, particularly since, as I said, she seems to have more in common with Iris than Isis - you get a more fitting mythological connection and dodge controversy in one fell swoop!
I'd suggest tweaking her bio to give her a Greek/Anatolian origin in that case, though - Iris isn't striking me as a terribly Egyptian name.
I completely agree. Since the actual Dark Isis character only had the name and a short quip hinting at her inspiration, I see little problem with a couple of minor changes like that. I've gone ahead and renamed her to Dark Iris thorughout this thread and updated her bio to mention Greece instead of Egypt.
Old October 11th, 2018, 02:33 PM

I was perusing the upcoming Pathfinder miniatures, and I found that there is an upcoming Oni Mage figure looks like a perfect demon Samurai sculpt, which I've been waiting to see for quite a while. I'm adapting my original idea for the Tenri Samurai back into a Unique Hero with hopes of having this ready for SoV around the time that the mini goes up for sale and is in production.

Here's where I'm at so far:

Some notes on the design:
  • I'm aware that the name Oda Nobunaga makes little sense from a historical perspective, given that this Samurai is legitimately a demon. I'm open to alternate suggestions.
  • I don't want him to be a straight buff to Samurai (even if they might need it) to avoid him feeling like a "band-aid." That's the primary reason that Aura of Terror also affects your own Samurai units (outside of theme, of course).
  • Evil Glare Protection isn't as powerful as it might seem. While essentially giving Samurai Counterstrike at all times, they have to remain adjacent to him for it to take effect, which will be tricky to manage without Kato (and in games where you're using him, you probably have more figures than Oda can protect anyway).
  • Aura of Terror is an extension of Akumaken's Mask of Terror. Einar's shown that he isn't afraid to dip into some "evil" units every now and then, so I figured that a Demon Samurai wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for him.
Overall, this design isn't fully jiving with me yet, and I think there's some room for improvement. The main parts that I'm looking to convey are decreasing attack for figures and slightly helping out the Samurai against ranged armies. I'm open to feedback as always!
Old October 11th, 2018, 02:47 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I think the design is pretty decent, but I don't like it much for that miniature. The miniature is obviously a mage, and that's not really represented in the design. I also think we're just about running out of creative ways of having Evil Eyes, and I'm not a fan of it on a two-eyed figure.

Just my . The miniature is great and I think you're close to hitting on something really good.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards