Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old June 14th, 2016, 12:28 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness
ladders out of wood

I have been contemplating how to make ladders out of wood for a long time (to tack onto my wooden buildings). I settled on the idea of cutting grooves into a board using a dado blade. But the big problem is how do you make a bunch of grooves evenly spaced?

Also, I had assumed I would use a strip of wood the width of ladder. Then I found this video and it struck me. Use a wide board and put groves all the way across. Then rip it into strips the width of the ladder I want. Plus the video shows how to make evenly spaced groves super easy!

Once you have them you can cut to length, paint and tack on with glue or a nail gun (pin nailer preferred). So basically I would make one big board of these that could be cut into numerous ladders

I haven't tried this out yet, but I know some other folks on here are woodworkers so I thought I would share the idea.

Watch the video and I think it should be clear. The main trick is getting the dado blade the right width and depth.

Old June 14th, 2016, 12:49 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: ladders out of wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeeple View Post
I have been contemplating how to make ladders out of wood for a long time (to tack onto my wooden buildings). I settled on the idea of cutting grooves into a board using a dado blade. But the big problem is how do you make a bunch of grooves evenly spaced?

Also, I had assumed I would use a strip of wood the width of ladder. Then I found this video and it struck me. Use a wide board and put groves all the way across. Then rip it into strips the width of the ladder I want. Plus the video shows how to make evenly spaced groves super easy!

Once you have them you can cut to length, paint and tack on with glue or a nail gun (pin nailer preferred). So basically I would make one big board of these that could be cut into numerous ladders

I haven't tried this out yet, but I know some other folks on here are woodworkers so I thought I would share the idea.

Watch the video and I think it should be clear. The main trick is getting the dado blade the right width and depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9MdXzCrTmU
Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old June 14th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Not a woodworker but I watch a lot of This Old House and at one point they used to use wood 'biscuits' for strength in joints. The device they used to make the the hole for the biscuit would be great for that.

Cool idea. I thought for sure they were going to be made out of popsicle sticks.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 14th, 2016, 02:05 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Not a woodworker but I watch a lot of This Old House and at one point they used to use wood 'biscuits' for strength in joints. The device they used to make the the hole for the biscuit would be great for that.

Cool idea. I thought for sure they were going to be made out of popsicle sticks.
I think that is called a biscuit joiner. Would be kind of hard (as far as I can tell) to use that to make evenly spaced grooves like this. With a dado blade you have greater control of the width of the groove...so that seems to be the way to go. I hope to size them such that they fit heroclix or heroscape bases...but I need to do some testing when i get the time in the shop.

These would be solid wood!

I have also been contemplating how to attach them temporarily. Perhaps with poster tac as Grish does? First things first, I gotta make some.
Old June 14th, 2016, 03:25 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Poster tac is awesome.
I should have bought some sooner.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 20th, 2016, 07:09 PM

Just did a quick proof of concept. Its a bit of a pin changing blades on the table saw so I was putting it off. Just used one of the dado blades (I don't recall how wide it is), but one blade was perfect.

This is in a crappy piece of wood, but it proves that I can make even grooves that hold both heroscape AND heroclix units (half the base removed). I just need some good hardwood to work with now and I can mass produce ladders! woot. I wish the heroscape unit held in a bit better...but this is mostly for CityScape which is 99% HeroClix...so this is great!

They come out to 1 rung per 2 levels of terrain...which I believe matches the official ladders.

Old June 20th, 2016, 09:37 PM

BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker

Looking good. Are you going to trim the sides to make it the same shape as a half hex?
Old June 21st, 2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThumbToe View Post
Looking good. Are you going to trim the sides to make it the same shape as a half hex?
That was just on a scrap of wood to see if the slots were the right size and that I could make them evenly spaced. Next I will do it on a nice piece of wood and then rip into into strips. I will share the progress and results.
Old June 21st, 2016, 07:47 AM

Nice, I like it.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:25 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Well done @mcmeeple . looks like a fairly cheap, simple alternative to getting more ladders.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Well done @mcmeeple . looks like a fairly cheap, simple alternative to getting more ladders.
That is the goal! My vision is that the foot print will be the same as a standard ladder (width and depth). I suspect mine will have to be slightly deeper.

Also, I plan to permanently attach them to the back of the smaller buildings. I don't see putting many buildings back to back (instead of side to side), so I don't see how this will ever hurt me.

Then I will have extras at standard lengths for when buildings of different height are next to each other...so mostly 1 and 2 story ladder segments.

My plan is to make one large batch.

It occurs to me that this could make other interesting buildings possible like towers. Or I imagine a pinnacle at the top of a skyscraper only accessible via ladder. Or perhaps a guard tower of some type...maybe at the corners of a prison or other fortification.
Old June 21st, 2016, 12:31 PM

Guard Tower would be awesome and may be the 'gateway' to interior play for you.

- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles