Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old April 21st, 2018, 12:38 PM

wargamingaddict87 knows what's in an order marker wargamingaddict87 knows what's in an order marker
Help with my collection. How much is too much?

Hey fellow Heroscape Junkies
I have accumulated quite a large amount of HS terrain and figures over the past 6months. I am zeroing on a ... normal? reasonable? collection.

My goals are multifaceted:
My goals include all the following

1. Sell off some excess to offset all I have spent
2. Have a collection which allows me to build competitive list
3. Have a collection which allows myself, family and friends to choose Fun army builds

Example:
I have 12 squads of minions of Utgar, 8 squads of 4th mass., 8 Charos, 12 Agent Carr’s, 5 Capuan Gladiators, etc.

How much of each squad (# of squads In my collection) would be reasonable to keep?
How many of each unique hero should I keep?

*** I know that the strength of the squad is important for the competitive list goal. But I’d still like to have a couple squads of Tarn Vikings for fun list builds.
Old April 21st, 2018, 01:28 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Help with my collection. How much is too much?

If your group makes at least some use of those figures, then keep them! I think each person would tell you something different as far as how many multiples to keep, but it should be your preference.

Here I go: 12 squads of minions is far more than I would ever use. I'm happy at 3 squads in my personsal collection. I typically play 300-600 point games with an average of 2-3 players per game. So, again, my personal opinion: shoot for 1 copy of unique figures, and 3 copies of commons.

Think about how many points and players are in your average game. If you guys like 1000 point games with huge maps, having 8 squads of 4th Mass or Minions really helps with the common horde theme, and I'm sure it looks pretty awesome on the table.

You could always try posting in the sales & trades area here, post everything you are looking to trade or sell, along with what you want in return.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 12:10 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamingaddict87 View Post
Hey fellow Heroscape Junkies
I have accumulated quite a large amount of HS terrain and figures over the past 6months. I am zeroing on a ... normal? reasonable? collection.

My goals are multifaceted:
My goals include all the following

1. Sell off some excess to offset all I have spent
2. Have a collection which allows me to build competitive list
3. Have a collection which allows myself, family and friends to choose Fun army builds

Example:
I have 12 squads of minions of Utgar, 8 squads of 4th mass., 8 Charos, 12 Agent Carr’s, 5 Capuan Gladiators, etc.

How much of each squad (# of squads In my collection) would be reasonable to keep?
How many of each unique hero should I keep?

*** I know that the strength of the squad is important for the competitive list goal. But I’d still like to have a couple squads of Tarn Vikings for fun list builds.
1) Selling is fairly easy you just post here or Ebay or wherever you wish and its out there, but before you sell it you would need to make sure you didn't want it. This is probably where 2 and 3 come in.

2) Having a collection that allows you to build competitive lists means you will be playing around the 500 point range?

3) I personally have at least one of everything, but if you wanted to go extreme you could have the ability to field a full team of noncompetitive units. I would suggest at least have 1 of everything like myself but to actually field everything to its fullest potential probably 3 of each common squad or so. Terrain is different because it allows you to build and there is no limit as to what you can have. Depends on the maps you build and the games you play. Competition maps are much smaller. Hope this helped.

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old April 22nd, 2018, 02:42 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

While it’s hard to catalogue an appropriate amount of ‘scape figures let’s try. These are all personal opinion, others may disagree.

Uniques - 1-2x should be enough. If you regularly have 3-4 players or want to host tournements having a 3rd Isamu can be helpful since he’s the go to filler, and somewhat expensive price wise.

Uncommons - 2-3x is my go to amount. If you want to do big scenarios with roaming monsters you could have more than that though.

Common Heroes - these vary by unit. Units with clear synergies (elementals, wyrmlings) obviously want more copies than Drow Chainfighters.

Swarms - 5x seems to be the sweet spot for most swarm builds, but you can have more than that, especially for scenarios or larger games.

Bonding - 3-4x is typical for ~500/24hex formats. You’ll seldom use a 5th or 6th squad outside of 700+ games.

Non-Bonding - 3-4x, generally depending on the unit and how many hexes it eats.

Expensive - 3x is the number to aim for, but some squads appreciate a 4th squad. Granite Guardians for example, since that’s more Gain High Ground activations.

Tech - 2-3x is probably fine. These units are meant to complement the army, not be it. This is not as notable in Classic/DnD Scape but is more prevalant in C3V scape. Competitively, Blastatrons, Repulsors, and Ashigaru squads fit in this catagory. Mass completionists still have 4x of them though

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 03:10 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

It's important to note whether the people in your group will even want to run the same unit at the same time. This will allow you to cull most units down to my recommended numbers:

Uniques: 1x.

Power Uniques (A- and better): 2x.

Raelin RotV, Isamu, Marcu: 1 per person in your group. They're that good and that useful.

Useful Fillers (Otonashi, Kyntella, Eldgrim, Guilty): probably 2x is fine, unless you play lots of Reverse the Whip or 4x4 formats, in which it should be 1 per person.

Uncommons: 1x for most, a couple Hydras and Frost Giants.

Common Heroes: 11x Fire Elemental, 8x Water Elemental, 4x Earth Elemental, 2x Air Elemental, 5x Red and Black Wyrmlings, 4x Blue and White Wyrmlings.

Swarms (Venocs, Zombies, etc): 5-7x. Ideally, you want the higher number.

Other Common Squads: 4-5x.

Also, if I could give you one piece of advice, it would be to err on the side of of caution. It's a whole lot easier to sell extra units later than to try to reacquire tough units that you sold too many of and then want to find more of.

Last edited by OEAO; April 24th, 2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 05:41 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I can't add much as for advice that hasn't been said, but I think OrcElfArmyOne hit it right on the head with the first sentence. That idea could be expanded to apply not only to Uniques, but also to how many of each common you want.

I know generally if I'm playing at home it's going to be a couple thematic armies matching up, and so 3 sets of most common squads is perfect. Zombies and Marro and Vipers and whatnot would be fun to have more of, but I think 3 is a good starting point to keep at least that many and keep more than that for squads that you know will get played with 4+ sets of them. In my mind, I can not imagine more than 3x Minions of Utgar being played unless you were going to play some ridiculously large Kyrien battle (and if you see that happening then go right ahead and keep 12 sets of them to do some awesome 1500+ point Battle of All Time).

The biggest thing is probably seeing who all gets used. I'd reckon if you are feeling like you have to much, it probably wouldn't be hard to look at each squad individually and say, "Hmm... Whenever you get played we end up taking 2 sets out of the 37 available. Maybe I should pair that down a bit."

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old April 23rd, 2018, 01:20 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

You should come with @Tiamat to the next Ohio tournament!
Old April 23rd, 2018, 02:59 PM

Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
You should come with @Tiamat to the next Ohio tournament!
We're actually working on getting some heroscape going here in Ann Arbor.

Not sure if wargamingaddict87 is crazy enough like me to make the trek down. It was definitely worth it in my opinion.
Old April 24th, 2018, 08:49 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

See:
Collection Guide 2: Quantities (Fully Updated)

Answers all your questions, except @OrcElfArmyOne makes some good claims as to why to have more than one of a Unique. There is no reason to have more than 2 Charos' and other Dragons, except the WOW factor just for display purposes when people come to your house to think it is cool, and no in-game reason, unless you totally house rule multiple Uniques which may be fun for a bit, but for those who want the game competitive will over-ware its welcome.
Old April 24th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
See:
Collection Guide 2: Quantities (Fully Updated)

Answers all your questions, except @OrcElfArmyOne makes some good claims as to why to have more than one of a Unique. There is no reason to have more than 2 Charos' and other Dragons, except the WOW factor just for display purposes when people come to your house to think it is cool, and no in-game reason, unless you totally house rule multiple Uniques which may be fun for a bit, but for those who want the game competitive will over-ware its welcome.
Right, and I realize I mistyped it as "same people". Really, do people enjoy mirror-matches? Would multiple people even want to run Minions at the same time, for example? That's kinda where my numbers come from; I culled my collection a good bit when I decided that my dad and I weren't likely to both run 4th Mass in the same event, for example.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's