Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old November 11th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Barbasol is surprisingly tart
Re: Question Dump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
Thanks, Piherculis, for your nicely worded post. But I hope none of the above get implemented, I just wish some people would be more patient with the newbies. Newbies are the lifeblood of our game.

I remember back when people would compliment us on how nice people were on this sight, how welcomed they felt as a newbie. I guess that isn't going to happen any longer.

Instead I read a thread about intolerance, and how intolerance is a good thing. A thread that results in two people saying they won't be posting here anymore. And yet no one is upset at this outcome.

Or better yet I read people razzing people for not searching for old threads then I read another thread razzing someone for necromancing an old thread with a less than breathtaking question.

I know exactly what you mean about the questions being kind of stupid sometimes. I have been feeling like that a lot about the Official rules. But you do have an option, ignore those threads, don't respond to them. Look through the threads for ones you want to repond to. Don't be nasty.

If you can't be tolerant you shouldn't be posting on an open membership forum. Go form your own private club. Give a test before letting anyone join.

Sincerely,

Kevin
Agreed. This place can get unwelcoming at times. Not the best way to grow the game.

While searching and proper spelling/grammar are good goals, I feel like they are often used as an excuse to be somewhat rude. Personally I get much more annoyed by every other post saying "please don't crucify me for spelling" or "I hope this hasn't been asked before and if it has then I'm really, really, truly sorry and I hope to someday make it up to all of you, etc etc" before they finally get to their question.

I think the original post was actually suggesting an entirely separate NEWBIE FORUM rather than a single thread. I think that is a GREAT idea. Put it at the top with the subheading "Newbies post here until you've hung around a bit and gotten used to our posting rules." People who don't mind answering newbie questions can answer them. The more "uptight" of us can just not go in there and they shouldn't feel a need to patrol those threads for quality because it's separated out from the normal forums. In short, it would be a great prep area for newbies!

Edit: I see wriggz outlined some similar reasons while I was typing this up!

Edit2: Hope I wasn't too negative... I have also seen many posts answered in a friendly, welcoming way... even mentioning spelling/grammar very constructively. Hopefully a dedicated "newbie" space would help encourage that to always be the case.

Last edited by Barbasol; November 11th, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

And I think it's a very good idea.

I sometimes rib on people (did it yesterday on a post), but some people are downright mean. This serves no purpose. Better to let those who are more even tempered or actually even helpful point the newbs in the right direction, rather than running them from this site forever due to elitism. Especially since it's the younger kids who are getting ran off in the first place.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I also agree that there should be a section/forum/thread where our rigid rules about how you post and what questions are asked are somewhat relaxed. I don't advocate anarchic, free-flaming, foul-mouthed posting - just a place where one can ask a basic question in (perhaps) less-than-stellar English and get an answer instead of a thread crammed down the throat.

I also like the idea of clearing it out regularly. We really don't need valuable hard drive space used to store stuff that had immediacy for perhaps a week. I don't know whether the software being used for this site can have entire threads/forums/etc. simply cleared out or not. That would be a question for the Powers-That-Be (rumble of thunder and a brassy fanfare). Truth?

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:47 PM

goofyjay2 Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piherculis View Post
The next viable solution is to prevent such questions being asked.

This could be achieved in 3 possible ways.
A. Devise a way that new comers acquire the knowledge before coming to the site, and thus negating the need to ask a question.
B. Devise a way to prevent new comers asking any questions whatsoever.
C. Devise a way that only questions that can be asked are ones that have not been asked before.
Personally I kind of think A. could be implemented by restricting newcomers from posting at all until they have been active on the site for some duration (whether it be hours, posts viewed, # of times logged in, whatever; I'm not all that knowledgeable about how members are tracked so I'm not sure what the best measure would be.)

This would be kind of a forced "lurker" status for new members that would hopefully encourage them to be active in the site and learn HeroScapers culture before posting questions that annoy the rest of the members.

While this probably wouldn't solve all our problems (obviously some people would still get annoyed at some posts) I feel that it could help.
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

What's wrong with our current system of answering questions? I think this forum is more helpful and timely than just about any other that I've visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
What's wrong with our current system of answering questions? I think this forum is more helpful and timely than just about any other that I've visited.
Mainly the abusive ways a very small fraction of members choose to "answer" questions.

Maybe a Forum with a Sticky filled with links to all the major basics newbs need to know?

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Quote:
Mainly the abusive ways a very small fraction of members choose to "answer" questions.

Maybe a Forum with a Sticky filled with links to all the major basics newbs need to know?
Stickies don't work; Newbs don't read them and when you suggest they do, you get accused of being rude and not liking new people.
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Dr Feelgood

I've pointed newbs to Stickies before, and never once have been griped at for that.

Sometimes it's the way the message is delivered, and not the message itself.

Old November 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I guess I just question the utility of having a whole new forum that would contain all the repetitive questions that pop up. Sure it would be nice to not have them creeping in everywhere, but adding a new forum to contain them would not necessarily change anything.

Unless new forum members would be restricted to post in that forum initially it would still happen. There are even older members who would still post inane questions in the regular forums. It also doesn't really feel friendly when you are relegated to the kids' table on THE Heroscape site.

The forum members that don't want to see the deluge of dumb questions from noobs that are too lazy to read the rule book will still see them on the "New Posts" and "Today's Posts" searches. I don't think that really solves anything. It just theoretically groups all the annoying stuff in one forum. Moving deck chairs on the Titanic comes to mind. It's still the same "problem", but it is just in a different folder.

IF the new forum were not viewable by default (like the CoNGS stuff), I wonder how many of the ones who are genuinely helpful will "opt in" to see it and help. I wouldn't want to, but I sometimes will pop into the typical newb thread and answer the question and offer some friendly advice. If the ones that help make this site nice don't help out because of this, then the problem is still there when the new guys get let loose in the wild.

Finally I question that it is a big enough problem to merit all this effort. Yes, it is annoying, but I don't think that it happens enough to really worry about. Usually a new guy comes in and it is answered nicely. If it ended there it would be good. If nicely worded advice on writing and effort expectations hasn't been included, add that. Otherwise leave the thread alone. Piling on and/or telling people to search doesn't help (especially with the regular healthy dose of snarkiness). Repeating already offered advice with a little less friendly tone doesn't help.
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:13 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Stickies don't work; Newbs don't read them and when you suggest they do, you get accused of being rude and not liking new people.
Well, perhaps some newbies. I know that when I first joined, I got a list of suggested things-to-read-to-familiarize-yourself-with-the-site from Cavalier. I read them all before I jumped in with my first posts.

I don't know if that "Welcoming Package" is still in effect, but I found it invaluable. If newbies are still getting that list, but are choosing to ignore it, perhaps they deserve a little of the ridicule and "reminders" that they get.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Dr Feelgood

The one advantage I could see with a "newb" folder, is that it could be cleaned out fairly regularly.

Beyond that, you're probably completely right.

Old November 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
The one advantage I could see with a "newb" folder, is that it could be cleaned out fairly regularly.

Beyond that, you're probably completely right.
As much as I think the whole idea is a waste of time, I will agree with this point completely.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's