Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old February 23rd, 2018, 11:55 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

Just got started on For We Are Many, Bobiverse Book 2. I really enjoyed book 1, We Are Legion (We Are Bob), and book 2 has that same vibe. It has a lot of pop culture homages like Ready Player One, but it is a lot more for flavor and characterization and has much less to do with the plot. If you like humorous science fiction, this series is worth a look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Just finished Caliban's War, book two of The Expanse. I'm really liking the series. Not-so-spoiler-ish: you think the last chapter holds the big cliffhanger for the next book, but the very last sentence of the epilogue could go in two very different directions. I look forward to finding out!
I really enjoy that series. I can't recall the two parts at the end that you mention, but the series keeps you on your toes.
Old February 24th, 2018, 01:13 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Just finished Caliban's War, book two of The Expanse. I'm really liking the series. Not-so-spoiler-ish: you think the last chapter holds the big cliffhanger for the next book, but the very last sentence of the epilogue could go in two very different directions. I look forward to finding out!
I've read the first 6 books and a couple of the shorts...love this series. I haven't ventured into the 7 book yet because I heard it jumps many years into the future and I wanted more of the crew where they were only slightly moved forward. So I'm reading all the shorts now.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old July 24th, 2018, 01:25 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Win Bigly by Scott Adams. It's a book about the 2016 Trump campaign on the surface. Digging a little deeper, it is a book about persuasion, and it is a fascinating book. If you do any type of persuasive communication, this is a really good book. I got it from the library, and before I was half way through it was on my wish list for a paper copy.
Old July 24th, 2018, 07:46 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

The Fredericksburg Campaign by O'Reilly. I recently went to a lecture by a friend of a friend who now lives down there at the New York Civil War Forum. I had to find and actually dust off the volume, which came out just when I was down there in 2005. Unusualy for me, I never finished it, because the second half is just about the useless attacks against the stone wall, where thousands of Union soldiers were slaughtered uselessly.

I'm almost done, and then I'll go back and read about a lesser known part of the battle, which was actually supposed to be the main attack, led by General Meade. I may do that part of the action on the tabletop with my toy soldiers!
Old July 24th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

The Lords of Dus series by Lawrence Watt-Evans. Great fantasy series that I borrowed from for a 2nd Edition D&D campaign that I ran over twenty years ago.

Old April 28th, 2019, 12:37 AM

boult845120 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I am currently reading light novels and my favorite light novel is overlord.

I read overlord light novels at kisslightnovels info. This is my favorite.
Old April 28th, 2019, 06:35 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

The Unlikely Ones by Mary Brown
Old April 12th, 2020, 11:25 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
The Unlikely Ones by Mary Brown 1986
And I finally finished it.
Fun read, almost certainly inspired by LotR/Hobbit. @Lazy Orang I think you would like this one but that may have something to do with the author being an English woman. I believe you would get more out of it, understanding more of the references.

Next up, Photoshop for Dummies and Beastie Boys Book.
Old April 12th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
The Unlikely Ones by Mary Brown 1986
And I finally finished it.
Fun read, almost certainly inspired by LotR/Hobbit. @Lazy Orang I think you would like this one but that may have something to do with the author being an English woman. I believe you would get more out of it, understanding more of the references.

Next up, Photoshop for Dummies and Beastie Boys Book.
I'll check it out, chap, thanks!

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old December 16th, 2020, 06:51 PM
Quest Quitter

Just finished Rhythm of War, Book 4 of the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson. It really brings what is happening in the Cosmere into focus, more so than any of the other books. And what happens at the end. Dang. Did not see that coming. I figured something along those lines was going to happen at the end of book 5, but nothing like this, and this soon.
Old January 1st, 2021, 04:17 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Lotta Words

Just binged my way through all of Worm (which is a LOT of reading; this thing is like a million word behemoth). Took me about a week. It's really well put together and an interesting take on the superhero genre although admittedly I'm much less of a fan of the ending (although logically it all fits together) and lead up to that ending than I was with the earlier stuff. Debating reading the sequel but not sure based on my mixed feelings about the ending.

~Dysole, musingly
Old January 1st, 2021, 07:05 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I read and enjoyed (most of) Worm in late 2014/early 2015, I can see you by you'd like it Dysole. I found it a really fun combination of normal superhero story and coming of age story. The main conceit of it, Skitter as well-intentioned villain navigating world of real villains and corrupt good guys, leads to a lot of interesting plotlines, and the superhero world that was made up for the story is massive and incredibly rich with detail.

I didn't ever finish it though. I stopped at around the part where the final climax was gearing up I think? I feel like they were in a city that was totally taken over by some bug superhero or something. Just lost momentum in reading and never got it back; I never love the conclusion of a big long fantasy series since I think it's almost impossible to resolve them. I feel like I got enough out of it without the ending but I do sometimes regret not seeing the ending because I think it is a big part of the story. It's just too much for me to go back to now and I don't really feel like reading a summary of it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books