Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old September 27th, 2017, 07:55 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

That's a great looking set and looks like a ton of fun.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 03:09 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Played Great Western Trail Saturday with 3 and ended up winning big, mainly due to getting the 3 permanent certificate station tiles. Then we played Le Havre. I've had an unopened copy for years, but never took the time to learn to play it. Pretty fun and I like how the decision tree expands as the game goes on. Played Le Havre again with my daughter Sunday because she thought it looked fun, followed by a 3 player game of Terraforming Mars. Good weekend.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 04:00 PM

Omahavice is surprisingly tart

Played my first 2 games of Dice Forge and it was really enjoyable. We got to play a 3-player, then a 2-player game. Easy to learn, plays fast, and a nice combination of Deck/Dice Building mixed with resource management. Although I enjoyed Roll Player and Sagrada, I liked Dice Forge better than both of them. I also got to play Photosynthesis and Fields of Green for the first time and they were both pretty enjoyable although I preferred Fields of Green. Photosynthesis was interesting if you like growing trees in a very abstract fashion.

Tournament Record
Good Trades List

DaBoyzRule 5 Time Super Bowl Champions Working on Number 6
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:16 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Played in a Legend of the Five Rings LCG event Friday night. Really interesting game and I love the theme/setting. Have been getting tired of "deck" card games, but this one has sucked me back in.

My gem of the weekend though was Innovation. Only found out about it last week when I noticed a new deluxe version coming out. Played it 5 times with multiple people and we all really liked it. It is a big hit with my daughter and we had a couple of close games, although one she was absolutely humiliating me for 99% of the game but I miraculously won it with a 10th age card that had a win condition on it. Cheap game with depth that sets up quickly and has many expansions.
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Played in a Legend of the Five Rings LCG event Friday night. Really interesting game and I love the theme/setting. Have been getting tired of "deck" card games, but this one has sucked me back in.

My gem of the weekend though was Innovation. Only found out about it last week when I noticed a new deluxe version coming out. Played it 5 times with multiple people and we all really liked it. It is a big hit with my daughter and we had a couple of close games, although one she was absolutely humiliating me for 99% of the game but I miraculously won it with a 10th age card that had a win condition on it. Cheap game with depth that sets up quickly and has many expansions.
I've played Innovation a few times a while ago. Good game, though o wasn't very good at it. It doesn't help that the guy whose game it is always goes all out in trying to crush people he's teaching the game to. It does have a learning curve.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 10th, 2017, 12:01 PM

Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well the wife was out of town last Friday so Matthias was able to come over fairly early and we got to play a variety of games we’d been wanting to try out. Mostly games I’ve bought recently, and a couple that are a few years old, that I finally got around to learning. I’m not the best at rules reading and self teaching of games. My preferred learning style is to have someone show me how to play.

So we ended up starting off with Dresden Files Card game. This is one I ks’d, mainly because the book series is probably one of my top 5 series of all time, and so I was pretty excited about the theme. Also, it can be played solo, which is something I tend to look for in every game I buy anymore. I really like playing this solo, but it’s a tough game (my win rate is about 1 in 3), so I was really curious to see how it would play with 2. It went well. We won. Matthias came at it not having read the books so the theme was sort of foreign to him but luckily he’s a huge fan of Sentinels of the Multiverse and the ks did a crossover where they included Ra, a character from SotM, so he had someone familiar to play. It was fun with 2, but I can’t see playing it with more than that. It is a very puzzly game and there’s a fair amount of thought and planning to put into your moves and considering table talk is supposed to be kept to a minimum I just don’t see how enjoyable it would be with a group of people. We played open handed and talked a lot and it worked out well.

Next we played a game of BattleCon: Devastation of Indines. This is one I’ve had for about two years. I’ve prepare to play it several times but then never got around to it. Well this time I prepared and played a match against myself just to get the hang of it. This is a really neat game. It mimics the Street Fighter/Mortal Combat type of arcade game I played when I was a kid. Characters have different strengths and weaknesses and there are 30 characters that come with the game. We played through a match and I really liked it and I think Matthias did as well. It’s definitely a game that I’d like to play again. Bonus is that this particular version has an extensive solo campaign as well as some co-op battles.

Before we broke for a couple hours to each handle some prior obligations I showed Matthias a game I’ve had for awhile called The Cards of Cthulhu. I’ve only ever played had it solo thought out can play up to 4. Not entirely sure what he thought about it. I set him up and let him run through a shortened solo game just to let him get a feel for it.

Then we moved onto Hoplomachus which is one I picked up a gencon, player a bit much solo and promptly ordered the other two big expansions as well as the most recent city expansions. We played a co-op vs the arena game. We were doing well until the 3rd round(of three) when a string of bad dice rolls activated both arena champions one right after the other who ran down the arena and stabbed my champion twice and ended the game by killing him. I think Matthias is looking forward to a 1 v 1 matchup where he can use the beast master and his crocodile to crush, or maybe death roll, me into defeat.

After Hoplomachus we played an adventure in Apocrypha the adventure card game. I enjoyed this. I think I like it more than Pathfinder the adventure card game. Mainly because I felt there were things I could do to improve/modify the dice rolled and give myself a better shot at completing the task. Also, it was nice to step away from the fantasy theme we usually are drawn to.

- Raider30
Old October 13th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I really like the Indines game. We traded for it and played a couple times, but as with most games it then began gathering dust, so it's been traded away. I'm jealous you got to play with Matthias, and not surprised you beat the coop when you had him on your team. Eleven-time Dragon Dice world champion!

I play a weekly D&D game, which isn't exactly a board game, but I'll mention it here anyway. My character is a sorcerer, a "wild mage" whose magic is barely under control. Sometimes when he does stuff he sets off something he didn't intend, and it might be good (turn invisible), there's a good chance it'll just be weird (turn blue), and there's a moderate chance it'll be bad (a fireball detonates, centered on you). The fireball, of course, is extremely unlikely, but last night I triggered it.

My party is only level 4, and we'd already been fighting for a while, so between our existing injuries and a few failed saves, all of us but one were knocked unconscious. And the big bad boss guy was just outside of the blast zone. Also my zombie minion survived. So we scrambled to throw around heals while the zombie minion grappled the boss. Somehow everyone is now barely conscious, dragging each other away from the battle, while the big bad end guy (hopefully) gets distracted by his big evil-magic tree, which is, on account of the fireball, totally engulfed.

Wish us luck for next week. I really like this character, I hope I didn't kill him. Or anyone else in the party.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 14th, 2017, 07:15 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I'm so happy, because later today a pal who bundled my order with his stuff is bringing me my brandest new copy of Richard Borg's TRICORNE:AMERICAN REVOLUTION He was busy last night, so at noon we're going to have my first Stickering Party, (I usually do this alone) and both prepare the blocks for our respective copies of our games, after which we'll start playing! Another guest or two will drop by to hang out and play, and there will probably be beer involved.

This is a highly rated new Commands & Colors design, and has not one but two scenarios from The Battle of Brooklyn (aka The Battle of Long Island), which was fought only a few miles from my house in August of 1776. Just a few blocks away, Washington retreated with his entire army in small boats across the river to Manhattan at Fulton Ferry, next to what we like to call The Brooklyn Bridge.

The Continental Army had first heard the new Declaration of Independence read to them before the battle, so they were very inspired for this largest battle of the Revolution. But then they lost, and were too poor to pay the bridge toll across. Or something like that...

One of my favorite units, Colonel Hand's First Pennsylvania Continentals (Rifle) was the first in and the last out of the campaign, and I once carried their flag up Battle Hill in Greenwood Cemetery, the site of the first action Grant's Attack. At Battle Pass, the second action in Prospect Park, I saw the excellent maneuvering of the US Army's Old Guard (aka Washington's Body Guard), the cadre that Baron Von Steuben would use to train the entire army in his new tactical evolutions--too bad they weren't ready for the 1776 fight.

So during the reenactment the Americans retreated down to The Old Stone House, where there is a small museum today. Here the Maryland Regiment made their glorious rear guard action so the rest of the Americans engaged could get away! Washington looked out of Fort Cobble Hill and moaned: "What brave men I shall lose this day!"

I saw the red coated columns in pursuit pass down the narrow streets of Park Slope full of cars shouting "Make way for the King's Troops!" Unfortunately, Washington didn't know anything about the British third column, which had traveled up what is today (The) King's Highway, and was coming in around behind his lines,here in Brooklyn (aka King's County--formerly Dutch Breukelen).

Now when I walk around I often stop by the great view on the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, where a plaque shows the former location of Washington's Headquarters, or look down tiny Love Lane, which used to be the sally port for Fort Brookline, where Hessians and cannon garrisoned the newly won area for the British. Achtung!

(Edit) Had a great time playing the first two scenarios today. Its actually closer to The Great War in its mechanisms, but is very much its own thing! Highly recommended.

Last edited by chas; October 15th, 2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old October 17th, 2017, 07:03 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Last night at game night, I played:
@chas

Quartermaster General: The Cold War - A friend of mine is big into Quarter master General and was able to get into playtesting this newest version of the game. I've only played the original a couple times and like it. So my buddy was able to get 6 of us together after other games to help him playtest this one. He had one previous playteest game with it. I can't say much about it, but it's certainly different than the original one. It's also in earlier stages and will need some tweaking here and there, but of course, that's why you playtest things and we're all experienced gamers and can give some good input. It looks to be a good one once it's all polished.

Flip Ships - This was a fun dexterity game that feels like playing the old video game Galaga. There's a long narrow track that has several sectors in it. Next to the track, you fill in the top two sectors with 4 cards each, and these cards are alien ships. On the track is a marker for Earth's hitpoints (20) and a marker for the alien Mothership's hitpoints (6). The Mothership is a box like setup placed above the top row of alien cards/ships. So each player has round ship tokens, and one at a time you flip your ship tokens off a little wooden piece, like a joystick, and try to land on alien ship cards to destroy them. There are different alien ships with different abilities. Each player has 3 levels of their ship abilities, and you start with the level 1 ability and only small ships. After everyone has taken their turn flipping their ships, the remaining alien ships move down toward your edge of the table and if any gets into the atmosphere sector, we (earth) takes damage equal to the damage value on the alien ship card. There are certain thresholds of damage we take where we will gain another ship token to flip and advance to a new level ship that has another power. Then the top two rows are refilled and you do it again. The game ends when we lose all of Earth's hitpoints, or if we destroy the whole deck's worth of alien ships and also do 6 points of damage to the Mothership. Ships we destroy are removed from play, but ships that move down far enough to damage us are reshuffled back into the deck. Oh yeah, it's a co-op game. Fun stuff.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; October 17th, 2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old October 17th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I really like the Indines game. We traded for it and played a couple times, but as with most games it then began gathering dust, so it's been traded away. I'm jealous you got to play with Matthias, and not surprised you beat the coop when you had him on your team. Eleven-time Dragon Dice world champion!

I play a weekly D&D game, which isn't exactly a board game, but I'll mention it here anyway. My character is a sorcerer, a "wild mage" whose magic is barely under control. Sometimes when he does stuff he sets off something he didn't intend, and it might be good (turn invisible), there's a good chance it'll just be weird (turn blue), and there's a moderate chance it'll be bad (a fireball detonates, centered on you). The fireball, of course, is extremely unlikely, but last night I triggered it.

My party is only level 4, and we'd already been fighting for a while, so between our existing injuries and a few failed saves, all of us but one were knocked unconscious. And the big bad boss guy was just outside of the blast zone. Also my zombie minion survived. So we scrambled to throw around heals while the zombie minion grappled the boss. Somehow everyone is now barely conscious, dragging each other away from the battle, while the big bad end guy (hopefully) gets distracted by his big evil-magic tree, which is, on account of the fireball, totally engulfed.

Wish us luck for next week. I really like this character, I hope I didn't kill him. Or anyone else in the party.
Good luck!

Is the Wild Mage a new class for D&D?
I need to check that out sometime. I have been developing wild magic for my RPG for a long time. We ran a game that was rampant with Wild magic where weirdness was happening quite often and it was a blast.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old October 17th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Wild mage is a subclass of sorcerer. Wizards, intelligence-based casters, learn their spells from books and study. Sorcerers, which are (theoretically, and probably actually) rarer, have innate magical powers, and are charisma-based. They don't develop the magical brute force that wizards do.

Sorcerers have two existing subclasses, though reportedly others are on their way: "draconic origins," meaning they have natural magical ability from dragon in their bloodline, and "wild mage," meaning they have some story-based reason for naturally-occurring raw magical power that they have not earned with study or, yet, practice. Wild mages get some extra powers *but* they also, from time to time, trigger a roll on a table that will provide some unexpected side-effect of an attempt to use magic.

Del, my sorcerer, is a half-elf wild mage, and the rest of our party is also a combination of handsome, lightly armored fellows: a ranger, a bard, and a monk. So we are going tank, and heavy-armor, free. A tanky big bag of hit points would have helped when I blew up the fireball last week, but luckily the bard survived, and he resuscitated the ranger, and the two of them had (barely) enough healing to get us all off the ground and mobile.

Tonight is our next chapter, which I will keep to myself. Unless there is any interest, in which case I will move the discussion to another thread. Thanks for your interest, Tornado!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 17th, 2017, 12:24 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Completely interested!

What book are the Wild charts in? I would really like to see them.
We started with a ridiculous chart with hundreds of possibilities. Now we try to keep it down to a d100.

Sounds like a fun party. My old gaming group never outgrew trying to be powerlords and I long to be able to play in a group like yours. At GC I usually always choose the weakest PC available just to see what I can do. Once I took command of a pirate ship armed with nothing more than a hairbrush.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games