Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old August 27th, 2021, 08:53 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: HelmAverse Supers - Reinforcements Arrive

That is a cool power.
Old August 27th, 2021, 09:36 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Is that all I have outstanding for you at the moment @Matt Helm ?
Old August 29th, 2021, 11:47 AM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Holy Prolific, Batman! A3n has pumped out some beauties in rapid succession. And we love them all!

You definitely had us fooled with some of colors because we always try and predict where you'll steal the colors from. We thought for sure that you would be stuck using green on Savage Dragon and then you surprised us taking the white from his ripped T-shirt. Police colors - aha! Then Beast Boy seemed like he was going to be white and red from his costume but nope, you got us again. We love having you as our art director because you are so much better at this than we could ever be. Bravo my man. On other note, I was worried that the Kick-Ass figure photo came out blurry and dark but then you chose the night parking lot background and BAM it looks pretty sick... in the greatest possible way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post

While I was creating BB's card I realised there isn't SS. I definitely would've given him SS, if not permanently then added it to one of the powers. Also did you decide not to use Metahuman as a species? I don't recall either way. But if you haven't made that a hard rule, I think he should be.
Now let me answer the questions that you raise on Beast Boy.

1) The Superstrength debate was one we had during playtesting. We all agreed he was a tough call but went back to the original Hasbro cards where Spider-Man has it but Captain America doesn't. Spidey can pick up a car, but Cap can't. As for Beast Boy, a rhino or a T-Rex can knock over a car with momentum but I don't think a gorilla can lift one. In truth, we looked at the advantages of Superstrength and broke it down to (a) avoiding falling damage and (b) breaking destructible objects like the brick wall. In the end, we didn't think that a rhino, a gorilla, a bear, etc. could bust through a brick wall like a superhero with super strength. And as for falling damage, they would all be pretty uncomfortable "falling" from any height. I know a jungle cat could easily leap down but with Flying as an option, we thought that he could essentially "fall" voluntarily from any heath he wants. It's the knock back or forced movement that could hurt him with a fall and we thought that any animal knocked off balance and off an edge would likely take damage.

2) Metahuman is something we agreed to avoid in the HelmAverse. The definition is too vague in that it is a DC term to describe anybody with superpowers. It's not really a species. The original Hasbro has Spider-man, Captain America and Hulk as human. The HelmAverse has Flash, Green Goblin and Captain Marvel as human. Considering Beast Boy started his life as a human who then got his powers from an injection, we thought he should be classified as human.

... and Yes, you are all caught up and even finished off your versions of Starfire and Blackfire. Awesome! Now we have to look at Abrackadabra... my internal scape juices just may start flowing again.
Old August 29th, 2021, 01:17 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

He definitely can lift a car in T-Rex form.
Old August 31st, 2021, 08:32 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm still leaning toward no Superstrength for Beast boy but I can probably be convinced. I've been doing research on Gorillas, Bears and Lions and although they are strong, real strong, I'm not sure I'd call it super strength level. And T-Rex is not fair because from what I've read, the classic Teen Titans writers had him use that form sparingly. We shall see. For now, Helm Jr. and Lil'Helm would both rather leave it off so I'd be out voted in my own house.

In the words of Monty Python, "Now for something completely different..." Sometimes we need to push the boundaries a little. Since we are now at 130 official HelmAverse cards and counting, it may be time that we venture outside the box with a design. This next one was born out of flurry of ideas tossed around in conversation. Helm Jr. had a concept for another character that was proving a little difficult to both work out the mechanics and track down the physical figure. Meanwhile, Lil'Helm found piece(s) for this next character and wanted to know if we could repurpose Helm Jr's idea.

Then dad stepped in and said, well not quite, but what if we did THIS...
Old August 31st, 2021, 08:38 PM
Captain Underpants

DC

MIRROR MASTER

HUMAN
UNIQUE HERO
CRIMINAL
TRICKY
MEDIUM 5

LIFE: 4
MOVE: 5
RANGE: 5
ATTACK: 4
DEFENSE: 5

MIRROR PLACEMENT 7
Mirror Master starts the game with three Mirror destructible objects on his card. When taking a turn with Mirror Master, before moving, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 7 or higher, you may choose one Mirror on this card and place it on an empty space adjacent to Mirror Master. If a Mirror is destroyed, place it back on this card.

MULTIPLE MIRROR SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 5. Attack 3.
After Mirror Master attacks with his Multiple Mirror Special Attack, he may attack one additional time with his Multiple Mirror Special Attack from each Mirror on the battlefield. Mirrors may be rotated before each attack. When attacking from a Mirror, adjacency and line of sight is determined using the Mirror Destructible Object card.

MIRROR MOVEMENT
Instead of beginning his movement from his current space, Mirror Master may begin his movement from any space that is occupied by a Mirror. When Mirror Master moves with his Mirror Movement special power, he never takes leaving engagement attacks.

Last edited by Matt Helm; September 1st, 2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old August 31st, 2021, 08:39 PM
Captain Underpants

DC

MIRROR
DESTRUCTIBLE OBJECT

LIFE: 1
DEFENSE: 5

REFLECTIVE DEFENSE BONUS
When a small or medium figure adjacent to a Mirror is defending against a non-adjacent attack, the defending figure receives one additional defense die.

MEDIUM 5
When determining adjacency or referencing a special power on any army card, a mirror is considered a medium figure with a height of 5.

------------------------
The hit zone for the Mirror should be the full rectangle with a green circle over the face of where Mirror Master's image is.

EDIT - Added the power "Medium 5"

EDIT - Picture option for card:

Last edited by Matt Helm; September 14th, 2021 at 08:36 PM.
Old August 31st, 2021, 09:14 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I can't tell you just how cool these are! Great work!

Old August 31st, 2021, 10:12 PM

Nice. Always wanted to see that mirror mini used.
Old August 31st, 2021, 10:27 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Very cool. I like the idea of using the flat mini as a DO.
Old September 1st, 2021, 07:26 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

I love the MM design, just thought the Mirror was a bit ho-hum. It's just a less powerful Shadow space (Ticalla Jungle tree).

I would think something like the attacker getting confused & targeting the mirror instead of the figure. Something like:

Quote:
When a small or medium figure you control that is adjacent to a Mirror is defending against a non-adjacent attack, you may choose that figure and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 11 or above you may swap the chosen figure and this Mirror. The attacker is attacking the mirror instead of the chosen figure. The chosen figure will not take any leaving engagement attacks when swapped with the Mirror.
Which would actually make it a similar mechanic to what I am proposing for Abra Kadabra with Smoke and Mirrors.
Old September 1st, 2021, 02:50 PM
Captain Underpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
I love the MM design, just thought the Mirror was a bit ho-hum. It's just a less powerful Shadow space (Ticalla Jungle tree).

I would think something like the attacker getting confused & targeting the mirror instead of the figure. Something like:

Quote:
When a small or medium figure you control that is adjacent to a Mirror is defending against a non-adjacent attack, you may choose that figure and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 11 or above you may swap the chosen figure and this Mirror. The attacker is attacking the mirror instead of the chosen figure. The chosen figure will not take any leaving engagement attacks when swapped with the Mirror.
Which would actually make it a similar mechanic to what I am proposing for Abra Kadabra with Smoke and Mirrors.
Believe it or not, the Mirrors are far from "ho-hum". Yes, they do not add much value to other figures but the way they help Mirror Master's movement and attack gets pretty crazy. During play testing, we found that to be enough for MM and didn't want a specific defensive power that helps him even more.

Truthfully, MM barely ever stands next to a mirror. He drops them before moving and then spreads out. In this way he can drop another and start to build a triangulated attack as well as an incredible movement system. When MM is next to a mirror, he is less efficient of a figure.

Therefore, any defensive power on the mirror itself is really there to help figures other than Mirror Master. We really didn't want them to be objects that other figures purposely went looking to snuggle up against. The Jungle Piece power that we did settle on was just a little bit of theme injected with a fully vetted Heroscape gameplay mechanic. The idea is that a melee figure may spend a turn trying to weaken MM by attacking a mirror because if they fail, at least they have the benefit of the defense die. Otherwise, running up to a mirror with the possibility of not destroying it may not have been worth the turn. Especially when it doesn't help against a special attack from MM.We were trying to balance the gameplay for both sides.

One thing we forgot to add to the mirror card is the slight difference in how it is treated like a figure and not a typical Destructible Object. In other words, it needs a Height that could affect adjacency and it is on a space that can be run through by a figure with Superspeed. We don't have a rule book to flesh out the destructible object (like the breakable wall or castle door does) particulars. I'll edit that now.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations