Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy
C3G Legacy Archive of all the original discussions and workshops from the first stage of C3G.

Notices

Old February 23rd, 2019, 01:29 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Re: Justice League Dark Brainstorming

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
So that's what I'm kind of aiming for. A reality warper (with a special focus on mind/soul tricks and dealing with the Insane if possible) who doesn't really need to attack, with extremely strong powers that can get out of his hands and backfire really easily. Very high-risk/high-reward, and then hopefully Constantine and Zatanna can help you push it more towards the reward side.
So I've been reading Shade, the Changing Girl (currently exploring Young Animal now that it's finally wrapped... you can probably expect more Doom Patrol thoughts soon too ) and I was thinking of the applications for the M-Vest in C3G. I don't know how in-line with the spirit of the original it is, but the thing I'd love to see captured is the passive warping of it. The world is just a little bit weirder around whoever's wearing it - so your goals here (the idea of Shade effecting the world without ever really attacking or "fighting" in a conventional sense) really fit for me.

So, I'm riffing off of those four Madness Vest powers you posted above. I'm trying to capture the spirit of a poet who doesn't really interact with the game in a traditional sense... and it's 1:30AM so bear with me.

MADNESS VEST
Instead of taking a turn with Shade, you may choose Shade or a figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Shade and roll a Combat Die, then roll an additional Combat Die for each Die on this card. If you roll;
-a skull, that figure receives a wound.
-a shield, place that shield on the chosen figure's card. While that figure has at least one shield on their card, add 1 to that figure's defense.
-a blank, place that blank on the chosen figure's card. While that figure has at least one blank on their card, add 1 to that figure's attack.
Whenever Shade receives one or more wounds, remove all Combat Dice placed with Madness Vest.

SOUL OF A POET
Shade rolls 2 additional attack dice when attacking an Insane, Troubled, or Unstable figure. When attacking with Shade, all skulls rolled count as blanks. If you rolled more blanks than the defending figure rolled shields, you may move a Wound Marker from this card to the defending figure's card, or from the defending figure's card to this card.

MADNESS STREAM
[Same power you have.]

I really liked that Madness Vest D draft, which feels very "out there" in a cool way. I added an "escalating madness" effect to kind of encourage you to pump Shade as much as you can and get exponentially stronger... but of course, that increases your chances of self-harm and losing it all just as much. From Changing Girl, that feels thematic to me - tell me if it's not.

I also added a power that sort of played in similar space, but just fundamentally changes how he works. He doesn't "attack" enemies to cause damage, he just uses our "attack" mechanics to mess with opponents. It has echoes of Raven and the Cosmic Cube, which I think are both very "in-line" with how the M-Vest works. It's funky and the wording could probably use some tweaks, but I think it's a cool idea if it's workable.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 12:14 PM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

Well now, I’m at a predicament. I really dig those 2 powers. Like, really. But text space was already an issue, so I don’t think there’s any way all 3 are fitting. I’m tempted to cut Madness Stream, but then he loses the D20 roll, and since Constantine is really the only other character he’s worked with more than once, I think that link is important. Anybody have ideas/suggestions?
Old February 23rd, 2019, 01:02 PM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

@johnny139 Also really excited to hear any DP thoughts in the future. The new era is the main one I haven’t fully explored yet.
Old February 24th, 2019, 07:57 PM
Just A Head

Quote:

NAME = SHADE THE CHANGING MAN
SECRET IDENTITY = RAC SHADE

SPECIES = METAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = POET
PERSONALITY = MERCURIAL

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 5

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 4
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 5

POINTS = ???

MADNESS VEST
Instead of taking a turn with Shade, you may choose Shade or a figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Shade and roll a Combat Die, then roll an additional Combat Die for each Die on this card. If you roll;
-a shield, place that shield on the chosen figure's card. While that figure has at least one shield on their card, add 1 to that figure's defense.
-a blank, place that blank on the chosen figure's card. While that figure has at least one blank on their card, add 1 to that figure's attack.
Whenever Shade receives one or more wounds, remove all Combat Dice placed with Madness Vest.

MADNESS STREAM
At the end of the round, you may choose up to one figure you control adjacent to Shade and roll the 20-sided die. Place Shade on an empty space exactly X spaces away from his original placement, where X equals the number rolled, then place the chosen figure on an empty space adjacent to Shade. If a figure cannot be placed, destroy it. Figures moved with this special power will not take any leaving engagement attacks.
Okay, I feel like we're getting pretty close here. Ported in the M-Vest power @johnny139 wrote up, along with my teleport power. Really sad to let go of Soul of a Poet, but I'm hoping some of the excess ideas we've created can get ported over to a Changing Girl card.
Old February 24th, 2019, 08:43 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Interesting stuff for sure. I would like to see the restriction of one die lifted. Let him multi-boost until he takes damage and see if it's abusable. If there are a few obscene armies with it, reintroduce the limit, but instead of taking turn is a high enough price where I think opening it up would help draftability versus other boosters.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old February 24th, 2019, 09:52 PM
Just A Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapemage View Post
Interesting stuff for sure. I would like to see the restriction of one die lifted. Let him multi-boost until he takes damage and see if it's abusable. If there are a few obscene armies with it, reintroduce the limit, but instead of taking turn is a high enough price where I think opening it up would help draftability versus other boosters.
You have a point, I figure it would be worth a try. My main worry would be that his most viable playstyle would just be to dole out some boosts then keep him safe in the SZ, but that’s something that’ll exist even if he can’t boost more. Also hoping his teleporting will encourage the player to get him out there more.
Old February 25th, 2019, 02:09 AM
C3G Con Champ 2021 and 2022!

Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death!

Liking it. All dice removed when he takes any wounds is a bit steep though if it costs him a turn to do it.
Old February 25th, 2019, 05:37 PM
Just A Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham View Post
Liking it. All dice removed when he takes any wounds is a bit steep though if it costs him a turn to do it.
Just throwing an idea out there, what if it's just instead of attacking vs instead of taking a turn?
Quote:
MADNESS VEST
Instead of attacking with Shade, you may choose Shade or a figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Shade and roll a Combat Die, then roll an additional Combat Die for each Die on this card. If you roll;
Old February 26th, 2019, 01:04 AM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

I think it could work pretty well as an Instead of Moving power. He has Madness Stream to move at the end of each round and allowing attacks can help him fend off swarms of foes. As it stands, giving up an entire turn or an attack for a 50% chance to do (at best) nothing immediately doesn't sound worth it on paper. Currently, the JLD don't have a designed healer, so the wounds are a dangerous game to begin with. I am thinking along these lines:

Quote:
MADNESS VEST
Instead of moving with Shade, you may choose Shade or a figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Shade and roll a Combat Die, then roll an additional Combat Die for each Die on this card. If you roll;
-a shield, place that shield on the chosen figure's card. For each shield die on their card, add 1 to that figure's defense.
-a blank, place that blank on the chosen figure's card. For each blank die on their card, add 1 to that figure's attack.
Whenever Shade receives one or more wounds, remove one Combat Die placed with Madness Vest from each Army Card.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old February 26th, 2019, 09:55 PM
Just A Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapemage View Post
I think it could work pretty well as an Instead of Moving power. He has Madness Stream to move at the end of each round and allowing attacks can help him fend off swarms of foes. As it stands, giving up an entire turn or an attack for a 50% chance to do (at best) nothing immediately doesn't sound worth it on paper. Currently, the JLD don't have a designed healer, so the wounds are a dangerous game to begin with. I am thinking along these lines:

Quote:
MADNESS VEST
Instead of moving with Shade, you may choose Shade or a figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Shade and roll a Combat Die, then roll an additional Combat Die for each Die on this card. If you roll;
-a shield, place that shield on the chosen figure's card. For each shield die on their card, add 1 to that figure's defense.
-a blank, place that blank on the chosen figure's card. For each blank die on their card, add 1 to that figure's attack.
Whenever Shade receives one or more wounds, remove one Combat Die placed with Madness Vest from each Army Card.
That could work. The original intention was to have him avoiding attacks in general, because he's not really a traditional fighter, but he's also not a pacifist and he doesn't have a problem with blasting an enemy in the face when needed.

Quote:

NAME = SHADE THE CHANGING MAN
SECRET IDENTITY = RAC SHADE

SPECIES = METAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = POET
PERSONALITY = MERCURIAL

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 5

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 4
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 5

POINTS = ???

MADNESS VEST

MADNESS STREAM
At the end of the round, you may choose up to one figure you control adjacent to Shade and roll the 20-sided die. Place Shade on an empty space exactly X spaces away from his original placement, where X equals the number rolled, then place the chosen figure on an empty space adjacent to Shade. If a figure cannot be placed, destroy it. Figures moved with this special power will not take any leaving engagement attacks.
Old February 27th, 2019, 12:05 AM
Just A Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXAN2507 View Post

NAME = DETECTIVE CHIMP
SECRET IDENTITY = BOBO T. CHIMPANZEE

SPECIES = SIMIAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = INVESTIGATOR
PERSONALITY = TRICKY

SIZE/HEIGHT = SMALL 3

LIFE = 4

MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 3

POINTS = ???

ACE DETECTIVE

Instead of moving, Detective Chimp may roll the 20-sided die. On a 13 or above, you may choose and look at one unrevealed Order Marker on any card your opponent controls.

SWORD OF NIGHT
When Detective Chimp attacks an adjacent figure with his normal attack and rolls at least one blank, you may choose and look at one unrevealed Order Marker at random on the defending figure's card. If it is an X Order Marker, remove it from that figure's card.

ACROBATIC MASTERY
Detective Chimp never takes falling damage and is never attacked when leaving an engagement. After rolling attack dice for a normal attack or after rolling defense dice, for each shield rolled you may immediately move Detective Chimp one space up to 6 levels up or down. When Detective Chimp rolls defense dice against an opponent's attack, one shield will block all damage.
On another note (and really hoping we can keep working on Shade at the same time), I think this is a good time to talk about Detective Chimp, cause I think he has a really good chance to be a strong contender in the next poll, but I think he needs a bit more refinement to get there. I have 2 main thoughts;

1) This is the Chimp Heroclix, and I kind of hate it. He's not even in his classic costume! But the big thing for me is that the current draft has him with a sword but the mini doesn't. It does seem weird to me that his card has him using this giant sword that he's just clearly not actually carrying. The Sword of Night is a really recent addition to his character too. He's been around since 1952 and he's had the sword since the Metal event (2017-2018 ) so I'd hardly call it iconic. So if it's not on the mini and not really iconic to the character, I guess I'm questioning if the card needs to have it. My opinion on this will completely flip if the upcoming DC Rebirth set (or any future set) gives us a JLD Chimp with the sword.
2) I think Acrobatic Mastery is a bit bland and overused, and if that could be replaced with something a bit more chimp-y that could make the card pop just that much more. There was some good discussion early on in the thread, but it kinda fizzled out.

With those two changes considered, he'd pretty much have my undying loyalty, so I just wanted to bring it up and see what everyone else thought.
Old February 27th, 2019, 12:42 AM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Chimp
Strong endorsement for ditching the sword, regardless of what minis we get in the future. I'm not an expert, but I've seen him pop enough to know the sword isn't an iconic aspect of the character, and it would always read to me as "Weird Sword Version of Detective Chimp" if that was the one we had in C3G.

Shade
Okay, have not checked in on where you were at with this guy in a while, but really interesting write-up.

I don't think he's ever gonna choose himself for Madness Vest, though (certainly not once he has a die on his card). Kind of an uphill battle to get any dice on his card, since he's gonna lose one every time he wounds himself. Each die has a 50% chance of both wounding him and removing a die he already has on his card - doesn't look like a great deal to me once there's a die on his card boosting him.

When he's trying to boost someone else, wounding them won't undo the boosts you do apply, so it feels like it's a little easier to play those odds.

Really love Madness Stream. I'm a sucker for weird end/beginning-of-round movement powers and carry powers and 'd20 teleports' like Blink's and Mirror Master's, so this checks a lot of boxes for me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy