Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old December 9th, 2009, 10:55 PM

ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby!
Proto's Customs--Back in Business, 10/9!

ProtoFury's Custom Units

Welcome to my humble Custom Units thread! Enjoy!

======================================================================

Therians

Backstory--"Vydar's Decision"
Spoiler Alert!

Unit Cards
Spoiler Alert!

Marro

Unit Cards
Spoiler Alert!

Been quite a while, but I've been bitten by the old 'Scape bug again and so I'm gonna be jumping back into the swing of things! Once I get myself all re-settled, the first item on the agenda is finishing up the Marro Hunters and the Cogs, for your playing pleasure.

Until next time,

~ProtoFury~

Proto's Custom Maps and Units!

Last edited by ProtoFury; October 9th, 2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:33 AM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth
Re: Proto's Customs--Open for Business, 12/09!!

Nice cards

Some thoughts on the Hero

You might want to change the name of the Golem Leadership power, currently all __ Leadership powers have been movement boosts. Maybe something like Golem Command?

Speaking of that power, you have an extra 'move' before 'either', though I think it could use some rewording if you want it to sound more official anyway.

How about:

After revealing an order marker on this card, you may either:
  • Move up to 2 Storm Golem Squad figures you control, the figures must be within 4 clear sight spaces of Sigma Urash before moving.
  • Move and attack with 1 Storm Golem Squad figure you control, the figure must be within 6 clear sight spaces of Sigma Urash before moving.
I think that fills some loopholes that were in the original power, this wording might need something at the end to clarify that Sigma still gets to take a turn though.

I don't now anything about the characters, but unless there are multiple types of overseer I'd ditch the 'Sigma' from the class. That way the class is more general and he could have some potential for synergy outside his group.

The way you've worded 'Nanomintions' and 'Reaper Blades' almost makes it sound like Reaper Blades gives the bonus to all figures you control, which I'm guessing isn't what you intended.

Maybe something like this (taken from Agent Carr's wording)

Nanomuntions
If Sigma Urash is attacking a non-adjacent figure, add one extra skull to what ever is rolled.

Reaper Blades
If Sigma Urash is attacking an adjacent figure, add 2 dice to Sigma Urash’s attack.

The Storm Golems

The powers seem fine as is, but if you want slightly more official sounding wording you might want to try:

Nanomuntions
When rolling attack dice against a non-adjacent figure, a Storm Golem always add one extra skull to whatever is rolled.

Reaper Blades
When rolling attack dice against an adjacent figure, a Storm Golem adds 2 to its attack dice.

Personally, I don’t like their class being the same as their name. It has been done officially a few times, but I’ve never liked the practice. Also, it's kind of weird to have Golem as their class, what would happen if we got real Golems (as in DnD or Jewish folklore style) in the game latter on? Maybe change the class to Warriors, Soldiers or Drones maybe?

Overall, I like these guys and they seem reasonably balanced. Nice Job

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store

Last edited by Soundwarp SG-1; December 10th, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:45 AM

Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby!

Therrian just isn't powerful enough. He should have 89 lives, 63 attack, 97 defense and a range of 20000. Give him a movement of 1 though, that will balance him out.

As for the customs here, they look pretty cool . Wording changes to the abilities like the ones presented above would help...try to copy the wording and/or structure of the abilities that exist in the game already. That tends to help prevent overwording an ability.

But a nice start overall...other then...you know the whole underpowered thing

My Customs
Winter Olympics = $6,000,000,000
Gold Medal Hockey Tickets = $2,000
Seeing an American Politician forced to wear a Canadian Jersey = Priceless
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:15 AM

ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 View Post
Some thoughts on the Hero

You might want to change the name of the Golem Leadership power, currently all __ Leadership powers have been movement boosts. Maybe something like Golem Command?

Speaking of that power, you have an extra 'move' before 'either', though I think it could use some rewording if you want it to sound more official anyway.

How about:

After revealing an order marker on this card, you may either:
  • Move up to 2 Storm Golem Squad figures you control, the figures must be within 4 clear sight spaces of Sigma Urash before moving.
  • Move and attack with 1 Storm Golem Squad figure you control, the figure must be within 6 clear sight spaces of Sigma Urash before moving.
I think that fills some loopholes that were in the original power, this wording might need something at the end to clarify that Sigma still gets to take a turn though.
First things first, I guess I never realized the Leadership usually affecting movement thing. I'll defnitely get to changing that to a more original name. And thanks for the cue-in about the mis-wording.

I wasn't sure about the wording of that power either though, so it's nice that you pointed that out. I'll probably change it to something ver similar to your suggstion, if you don't mind.

Quote:
I don't now anything about the characters, but unless there are multiple types of overseer I'd ditch the 'Sigma' from the class. That way the class is more general and he could have some potential for synergy outside his group.

There's the rub--there are a couple different kinds of overseers in the game (at least as much as I've ordered). Sigma Urash is a Rank-Sigma Overseer, the commander unit that will be my major hero in the group is Omega Tiamat, and she's a Rank-Omega Overseer, and I've also got a more basic Storm Overseer and Assault Overseer, neither of which have any special rankings. I wouldn't have put in anything more than Overseer class, except for the fact that it will matter heavily for one unit.

Omega Tiamat comes with a machine called a Nanoregenerator, which (in the AT-43 game) can actually be used to revive her if she gets destroyed. The catch is that it requires the body of an Overseer to do it, effectiely killing off that Overseer. I thought it was an interesting concept, and so was going to make the Nanoregenerator a 60-point hero (Tiamat will be 160-points) that can fully revive Tiamat if it destroys an adjacnt Overseer. Considering in a cohesive 400-600 point army build, the cost of Tiama, the Nanoregenerator, and the cheapest Overseer (a 100-point unique hero) would be 320 points, the cost of Tiamat herself drafted twice. (It also severely impedes the synergy of the group, because I don't think I'm going to have any direct bonding between any of the Golem units and Tiamat, although there is bonding between the sacrifced Overseers and the Golems. I figured it all evens itself out.)

Anyway, the regenerator's power has you roll the d20, and if it's a 3 or higher, you destroy an adjacent Overseer unit and replace it with Omega Tiamat (a roll of 1 or 2 is a malfunction, and just destroysthe Overseer). However, I noticed a potential problem with the Nanoregenerator--unless I got very specific with the wording, one may be tempted to try to kill off Omega Tiamat with the regenerator, since she herself is an Overseer, and then reive her. To keep this from becoing a dangerous loophole, and to keep it from becoming character-specific to Tiamat (in case any future Therian commanders are released that may be able to do this as well), I limited the wording to not allow the sacrafice of adjacent Omega Overseers, meaning I would have to distinguish the diferent ranks of Overseers from each other--thus, Sigma Urash became a "Sigma Overseer," instead of just an "Overseer."

Thinking about it now though, I can change Omega Tiamat to Commander instead of an Overseer type (even though it will deviate rom the original game's storyline a bit), and relieve his whole mess. That will make Sigma Urash just an Overseer. Sorry about the long story, but it was thought provoking for me.

Quote:
The way you've worded 'Nanomintions' and 'Reaper Blades' almost makes it sound like Reaper Blades gives the bonus to all figures you control, which I'm guessing isn't what you intended.
Quote:

Maybe something like this (taken from Agent Carr's wording)

Nanomuntions
If Sigma Urash is attacking a non-adjacent figure, add one extra skull to what ever is rolled.

Reaper Blades
If Sigma Urash is attacking an adjacent figure, add 2 dice to Sigma Urash’s attack.
Again, much simpler wording from someone who has paid a heck of a lot more attention to customs than me up till now. I'll get on that.

Quote:
The Storm Golems
Quote:

The powers seem fine as is, but if you want slightly more official sounding wording you might want to try:

Nanomuntions
When rolling attack dice against a non-adjacent figure, a Storm Golem always adds one extra skull to whatever is rolled.

Reaper Blades
When rolling attack dice against an adjacent figure, a Storm Golem adds 2 to its attack dice.
Sounds good.

Quote:
Personally, I don’t like their class being the same as their name. It has been done officially a few times, but I’ve never liked the practice. Also, it's kind of weird to have Golem as their class, what would happen if we got real Golems (as in DnD or Jewish folklore style) in the game latter on? Maybe change the class to Warriors, Soldiers or Drones maybe?

I wasn't so hot on their class being the same as their name either, but this is one I actually think I'm going to go with. In AT-43, they're all referred to as Storm Golems (unless I'm mistaken--I need my units to get here... ), and differentiated by their weaponry and such. I decided to split up the Storm Golem category into Storm Golems, Heavy Storms, Flamer Storms, and Storm Leader (as well as making the splitting the Assaults into Assault Golems, Heavy Assaults, Flamer Assaults, and Assault Leader, who suffer the same issue).

And just making their class "Golem" wouldn't work, because there's three different kinds of Therian Golems (to date): Storm Golems, Assaut Golems, and Grim Golems. All of these will have their own seperate laders and Overseers, and I'm planning on restricting each Overseer to offer benefits to their specific type of Golem (i.e., the Assault Overseer only offers benefits of Assault Golems--just to keep with the theme), so there needs to be the differenciation of the classes.

And about us possibly getting real Golems in the game--it wouldn't really affect mine. I can change the wording of Overseers like Sigma Urash, who can serve as Overseers for and type, to only include Therian Golems in their powers, if I ever need to. But the ned to stay within the Golem class, because in all honesty, that's what they are in the actual AT-43 game.

Quote:
Overall, I like these guys and they seem reasonably balanced. Nice Job
Thanks for the comments! I did a lot of thinking on stats and powers and pricing, so I'm glad the only really problems you saw were in wording of powers and classes and such. It's always nice to have an extensive, thought-out review of customs as well, so thanks for spending the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therrian View Post
Therrian just isn't powerful enough. He should have 89 lives, 63 attack, 97 defense and a range of 20000. Give him a movement of 1 though, that will balance him out.

As for the customs here, they look pretty cool . Wording changes to the abilities like the ones presented above would help...try to copy the wording and/or structure of the abilities that exist in the game already. That tends to help prevent overwording an ability.

But a nice start overall...other then...you know the whole underpowered thing
You know, I'm tired of your attitude. It's getting out of control. You really need to stop underestimating yourself.

I'd say at least 106 defense, and 92 lives. Probably could bump that move up to 4 as well. And who needs LoS?? I'll give al your attacks a Lob of 400.

Aw, shoot... Just to make you feel special, I'll throw in the Unique Hero label for ya, too.

EDIT: Updated with the edited versions of Sigma Urash and Storm Golems.

Last edited by ProtoFury; December 10th, 2009 at 05:02 AM.
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Glad to see you here Proto!

Great sculpts for your cards. I had seen them and considered doing some customs for them but now I don't have to. Besides, if you are as good at customs as you are with maps, yours will be better than mine would have been anyway.

The way Golem Dispatchment is worded I will be able to use him in the line of customs I am currently working on for the game Arcane Legions. There are Golem units in that game as well.

Anyhow, just wanted to stop by and say good job on your first customs.
Old December 10th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
Glad to see you here Proto!

Great sculpts for your cards. I had seen them and considered doing some customs for them but now I don't have to. Besides, if you are as good at customs as you are with maps, yours will be better than mine would have been anyway.
Yeah, I first saw the AT-43 minis at NHSD a few months back, but was repulsed by the $30 pricetage for a group of three figures (HeroScape is the closest I've gotten to an expensive minis game ). When I saw the sale at FantasyFlightGames.com, with all of these AT-43 guys at 1/4 the price, I jumped. I think I'll have almost as many Therians as Marro now, which is saying a lot!

Quote:
The way Golem Dispatchment is worded I will be able to use him in the line of customs I am currently working on for the game Arcane Legions.
Hm. Yeah, maybe I should replace it with "Therian Golem units"... However, I'm concerned with the wording of the power in terms of the options, still. I noticed that Soundwarp had taken the wording to mean you could move an individual figure within the clear sight range, which was not what I'm going for. I wanted that power to be similar to the Hive's power, just with much shorter range. So that two squads could move within a certain range, or one squad within a shorter range could move and attack as well (although not taking a full turn, as some of them will bond with the Common Heroes I'm making for them). Sigma Urash isn't that much different from a basic, Overseer, but he's 40 points more, which is why Golem Dispatch is more powerful than Overseer's Orders (the power the Overseers have that lets you first take a turn with one squad of Golems that start wthin four clear sight spaces). I figure than depending on the scenario, it would sometimes be more beneficial to move two squads instead of attacking with one. Maybe to keep him balanced I should shorteen the clear sight ranges to 5 for moving two squads and 3 for oving and attacking with one... Hm.

Old December 11th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoFury View Post
I noticed that Soundwarp had taken the wording to mean you could move an individual figure within the clear sight range, which was not what I'm going for. I wanted that power to be similar to the Hive's power, just with much shorter range. So that two squads could move within a certain range, or one squad within a shorter range could move and attack as well (although not taking a full turn, as some of them will bond with the Common Heroes I'm making for them).
Kato Katsuro's Command ability, which is similar to this, uses the phrase "Samurai squad" rather than "Samurai unit". Perhaps changing your wording to "Golem squad" (or "Therian Golem squad") would help clarify what you are going for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoFury View Post
Maybe to keep him balanced I should shorten the clear sight ranges to 5 for moving two squads and 3 for moving and attacking with one... Hm.
I think I am with you on that one.
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Kato Katsuro's Command ability, which is similar to this, uses the phrase "Samurai squad" rather than "Samurai unit". Perhaps changing your wording to "Golem squad" (or "Therian Golem squad") would help clarify what you are going for.
Ah, mayhaps I should've stolen my friend's samurai to check that. Although I did notice on the Hive's cards, it also says Small or Medium Marro Squads. So that's also a big hint.

Quote:
I think I am with you on that one.
Yeah, I don't want to make him more than about 140 points, because the main commander is going to be around 160. I might actually bumb her up to 180-ish, and bump the generator down to 40 or so, because to bring her back it still requires the sacrifice of an Overseer--an extra 100 points, minimum. I guess I'll just get there when I get there.

I'm getting my figures today (finally... ), so I'll be able to move forward with some of the guys I didn't know what to do with (i.e. Storm Flamers, Assault Goliaths, Tiamat herself) now that I'll be able to see their actual cards.

EDIT: Well, the figures came in today, and I played my first game with them. I played a 520-point game in which I used Sigma Urash (140), Storm Golems x2 (300), Heavy Storms x2 (460) and a Storm Leader (520). We realized some things during the battle--regular Storm Golem's Reaper Blades should only give them +1 extra die roll for adjacency, Sigma's attack needs to drop to 3, and there needs to be more synergy between the Storms and the Storm Leader. Still unsure about my thoughts on the Storm Leader (both in terms of stats and pricing, because I want him to be helpful, but he needs to be cheape, too--maybe 40 points), but the kinks should fix themseves out tomorrow, when a few friends are coing over, and we're going to be working on tweaking custom figures all day.

Last edited by ProtoFury; December 12th, 2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:02 AM

Re: Proto's Customs--NEW 12/23!!

Well, I'm bringing this thread back with some new updates!

I updated the first post in it's entirety, with updates to the existing cards, and a few new additions. I'm working on some more guys tonight, but I've still got quite a bit of work ahead of me on the rest of the cards, and I picked up some more AT-43 guys yesterday--the Bane Goliaths. Just another card to add to my list--I should have a total of 16 for my Therian Army by the time I get what I have finished.

Let me know what you think of the new (and the improved) units!

Last edited by ProtoFury; January 5th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Re: Proto's Customs--NEW 1/5!!

The thread has been update again! All the major updates are outlined in the bottom of the original post, but here's a quick summary:

-All of the Army Cards have been finished foe the Therian Army. I will post them in small increments.

-The first three units in the Assault Series have been unveiled--the Assault Golems, Heavy Assaults, and Assault Flamers. Feedback is very welcome!

-The whole layout has been reorganized, obviously. Hopefully that makes it easier for you guys to find what you want.

-I wrote and added a backstory of the Therian units in the HeroScape storyline. I'll also be posting the short story in the Fanfics section, because I think it's good.

And that's all for this update! Comment away!

Old January 7th, 2010, 03:56 AM

Re: Proto's Customs--NEW 1/5!!

Two next cards! These complete the synergies of the Assault faction. Only four more to go before the army is completely posted!

Assault Overseer

Assault Leader

Comments and criticism are welcome! Thanks!

Last edited by ProtoFury; January 10th, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Re: Proto's Customs--NEW 1/07!!

Good work, ProtoFury.
I like the way the army is shaping up. There are some good synergies going on (really makes me wish I had the figs for it).

For the Reaper Blade ability, can it be used when the fig is being enhanced by other means such as an attack aura from Taelord or a glyph?
If not, it might be easier to just make it a special attack with a range of 1 since special attacks cannot be altered by anything.

Also, on the Assault Overseer, is EDIUM 5 a new size class you made up?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards