Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old July 27th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Every Scaper Oughtta Know

Aldin, I appreciate you pointing out that it appears to be common that scenarios might be "Kill the 'Walker" rather than "Kill Them All"
Old August 5th, 2015, 12:58 AM

Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker

Imma about to kill Amazon if they don't ship my 5 copies I ordered 3 days ago
Old August 15th, 2015, 08:23 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

I noticed another big difference. There are no special attacks in the new game. There is nothing about them in the rulebook either, making me think they won't ever be a part of the game. SAs were one of the more confusing parts of Heroscape, so it makes sense that they took them out.

Playing the game, I felt like it didn't have as much depth as Heroscape and didn't feel as natural to play. The board, of course, sucks. The way you activate your units takes away a lot of the strategy of army management and feels dumbed down. The biggest change to combat mechanics is the amount of attack and defense modifiers there are. It slows down the gameplay because you have to check so many places to find out how many dice to roll. Normally there is height, glyphs, and auras. This adds in enchantments on the attacking and defending units, and enchantments on other units that affect the whole team, plus sorceries played during the turn and seeing if any hidden enchantments get triggered to flip.

I really hope that expansions address most of my concerns. I can see how they could pretty easily add a lot to the game. The base set is sure no RotV, and I don't really like it as it is, but I recognize that its supposed to expand and I'm definitely going to check out what they do with it when it does. Battleship Galaxies was at least a decent game out of the box, but if this this game doesn't get expanded it will just collect dust.

Last edited by Hogg; August 16th, 2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old August 15th, 2015, 11:28 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Something else I noticed that is different (missing) is drafting.

The AotP rulebook talks about "Building Your Premade Army" on page 14, but does not also mention the option of drafting, like it does in the HS rulebook.
Old August 21st, 2015, 03:19 AM

tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby!

Thinking of picking this up. How many copies of the base set are recommended? Are there advantages to having multiple sets?

~tgx
Old August 21st, 2015, 09:49 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannergx View Post
Thinking of picking this up. How many copies of the base set are recommended? Are there advantages to having multiple sets?

~tgx
All the figures are unique, so the only reasons to get multiple sets IMHO is for terrain (which you probably don't need) or multiples of the spell decks for deck building (?)
Old August 21st, 2015, 11:32 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Turn Order

Here's an unusual little detail. The new rules state that in a team game, both team mates sit on the same side of the table, but the turn proceeds clockwise after the initiative roll. Scape rules don't cover team play or where players sit, just say to go clockwise after intiativec. But this new rule means that in AoTP, team mates will often follow each other in moving.

This I find odd, because my group always rolls for initiative (we usually play teams with four players) but insist that after each team decides which of its players will go first for the round, game play alternates between the two teams, which seems much more balanced. So I guess this aspect goes in the Differences group(?)

Of course, if you're sitting at a round table..?

I was onlyl ooking at Quozl's initial and partial scan of the rules pages, so perhaps I missed something here?
Yeah, you did miss something - 'scape rules do cover team play and seating.
Page 6 SotM rule book:
Team Seating and Play: If you're playing a team game, teammates should sit next to each other on one side of the table, facing their opponents.
Team play has always been this way; the same entries appear in the Rise and Underdark rule books. Teammates are supposed to get back to back turns unless initiative roll happens to split them up for the first and last turns of a round.

It is just us 'scapers that decided that wasn't the right way to do it (which I do not agree with) and made these zig zag rules or initiative order rules; both are "house" rules even though they are often used in team tournaments.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; August 21st, 2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: "friendly" units are much better when played by the rules
Old August 21st, 2015, 01:10 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Team Seating and Play: If you're playing a team game, teammates should sit next to each other on one side of the table, facing their opponents.
Team play has always been this way; the same entries appear in the Rise and Underdark rule books. Teammates are supposed to get back to back turns unless initiative roll happens to split them up for the first and last turns of a round.
I thought you just followed the Order of initiativ. When we play team games team mates do sit beside eachother, but it is fairly irrelvent since we follow the Initiative of the dice (the same way you would in a 4 play free for all).

This is different in AofP since once the order is set it does not change. It is the same problem you see in classic risk since the strongest player can pick on the person who preceeds them, knowing it will be a while before retailiation occurs. Fixed turn order leads to unbalance inequality with one player always having the advantage.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old August 21st, 2015, 01:43 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

R˙chean,

Were back to back moves supposed to facilitate team coordination? I'm interested, especially since if I combine the two games, I'll have to make a decision about it.
Old August 21st, 2015, 02:26 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I thought you just followed the Order of initiativ. When we play team games team mates do sit beside eachother, but it is fairly irrelvent since we follow the Initiative of the dice (the same way you would in a 4 play free for all).

This is different in AofP since once the order is set it does not change. It is the same problem you see in classic risk since the strongest player can pick on the person who preceeds them, knowing it will be a while before retailiation occurs. Fixed turn order leads to unbalance inequality with one player always having the advantage.
In Heroscape, regardless of the number of players, play always passes to the left. Chas mentioned as much in his post.

You will not find a rule that says players then take turn in initiative order; but you will find play passes to the left in each rule book.

We are talking about actual differences, rule book to rule book, not house rules. For team play, seating and turn order, AotP is exactly the same as Heroscape. You have just been playing it differently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
R˙chean,

Were back to back moves supposed to facilitate team coordination? I'm interested, especially since if I combine the two games, I'll have to make a decision about it.
Was it supposed to? The rule was there before I even knew what Heroscape was so I guess so.

That said, you are way more likely to pull off a friendly adjacent bonus when team play is done by rule.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; August 21st, 2015 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Yes, words are useless! Gobble-gobble-gobble-gobble-gobble! Too much of it, darling, too much!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion