Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:46 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker
Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Battlefields of Valhalla
Goal: To offer the Heroscape gaming community balanced, playtested maps for both tournament and competitive play. And to establish standards for playable, balanced, and aesthetic maps.

Battlefields of Valhalla Display Thread

Updated 8/3/2021

Maps pending acceptance for review

Spineback Ridge by Gamebear
Yes = 1 (fomox) ; No = 1 (Dignan) ; Pending = 4

Maps currently being reviewed:

High Ways or the Highway by 1Mmirg
Yes = 1 (fomox) ; No= 0 ; Pending = 5

Last edited by quozl; August 3rd, 2021 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Update review status
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:06 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
By-laws for the Battlefields of Valhalla:

SECTION 1: Submission guidelines and tips
1. Maps shall contain exactly 24 hexes of start zone for each player. Start zones must be identified in the build instructions and must accommodate the Marro Hive in some capacity.
2. Maps should be balanced for 1-on-1 competition between two (2) 400-600 point armies
3. Maps are generally not to exceed 1 MS and up to 3 terrain expansions. No more than 2 expansions of the same type may be used in a map. There are exceptions; please note the set classifications at the bottom of this section.
4. Use of the Marro Hive as a line-of-sight blocker is allowed with the SotM set. Keep in mind the fewer expansions a map includes the more likely it is to be used. Submitted maps must state what sets are needed.
5. Anyone can nominate a map for consideration, but it will not go through the judging process without a majority vote of the Council.
6. Submitted maps must include build instructions.
7. Glyphs are not required, but any number may be used to enhance a map.
(a) Maps containing symbol-side up Treasure Glyphs must state which glyphs are Treasure Glyphs, otherwise mystery glyphs will be treated as standard glyphs. (Until another means of marking Treasure Glyphs becomes available, any face-up Brandar can be designated in the build instructions as a symbol-side up Treasure Glyph.)
(b) Symbol-side up Treasure Glyphs must include a description of the trap the map uses in the build instructions. Trap design will be considered in judging the map.
8. Nominations should be in .pdf format. Special circumstances may warrant exception.
9. Maps should not heavily favor any one special ability to the point that it makes the map non-competitive if an army does not contain that ability (i.e. range, flying, etc.).
10. Do NOT slap a map together and nominate it for consideration. Nominated maps must have some games played by more than one person. Additional game play experiences and observations are encouraged.

Classification of Heroscape sets:
  • Master Sets. One of the following may be used as a master set:
    • Rise of the Valkyrie
    • Marvel: The Conflict Begins
    • Swarm of the Marro
    • D&D: Battle for the Underdark
  • Expansions: Up to three of the following may be used, with up to two copies of the same set allowed:
    • Road To The Forgotten Forest
    • Volcarren Wasteland
    • Thaelenk Tundra
    • Fortress of the Archkyrie
    • Ticalla Jungle
  • Hybrid Master Sets: One of the following may be used in place of two expansions:
    • Marvel: The Conflict Begins
    • Swarm of the Marro (Except when also used as a master set.)
    • D&D: Battle for the Underdark
SECTION 2: How maps are judged
Maps nominated for consideration will go through the following process after a majority of acceptance votes by the judges:
1. Maps will be playtested competitively at least once by all judges, using 400-600 point armies. Candidates for approval will be playtested more than once.
2. Consideration for approved maps will be given, generally, based on the following criteria and in this order: balance, interesting play, and aesthetics.
3. Time for consideration is: as long as it takes for the judges to make an informed decision.
4. Great maps will be approved; not good ones. Don't let this discourage you.
5. Judge discussions will occur in a public and private forums on the non-official Heroscape web site: Currently www.heroscapers.com
7. Reviews on maps will be public with status and results presented.
8. Maps that receive a super-majority of 75% (currently 5 out of a possible 6) of the Council will be formatted and given the Battlefields of Valhalla Seal of Approval. Judges may abstain from a vote on a particular map, thereby reducing the total number of votes needed for acceptance.

SECTION 3: Self-governance
1. The Council will contain six judges. The current judges are: 1Mmirg, Bengi, Dignan, fomox, RoninValentina
2. Judges will maintain their position unless:
a) They are not heard from by fellow judges on the official non-official Heroscape web site for a period of 31 days, or
b) They abstain for a total of three months or for three consecutive maps under review, whichever comes later.
3. If a vacancy on the council occurs, judges will be replaced by those who:
a) show interest in serving, and
b) after consideration of the sitting judges receive 75 % vote of approval. Voting and discussion of a replacement judge may occur in private.
4. Judges will not be allowed to vote on their own maps. During the judging of their own maps their vote will be considered an abstention for the percentages needed to both playtest and approve the map. Their vote will NOT be counted as an abstention for purposes of the "three consecutive maps" criteria in Section 3-2-b.
5. These by-laws may be changed and amended at any time by a 75 % vote of sitting judges.

--
Maps that were reviewed but not approved for Battlefields of Valhalla:
Links to nomination
Links to yes votes
Links to no votes

Link to Updated List of Reviewed Maps (thanks, UtahScott!): 2007-2009 | 2010-

Old List:
Spoiler Alert!

Maps previously nominated but were not accepted for review (map balance varies wildly, please search the thread for why they didn't make it before using for competitive play):

Link to Updated List of Nominated Maps (again, thanks, UtahScott): 2007-

Old List:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by quozl; August 3rd, 2021 at 05:51 PM. Reason: new judges!
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Yeah it is ok; you can have one Master and up to 3 expansions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post

3. Maps are not to exceed 1 MS and up to 3 terrain expansions. No more than 2 expansions of the same type may be used in a map. There are exceptions; please note the special set classifications at the bottom of this section.

• Master Sets: Rise of the Valkyrie, Swarm of the Marro*
  • Expansions: Volcarren Wasteland, Thaelenk Tundra Road, To The Forgotten Forest, Ticalla Jungle, Marvel Heroscape**, Fortress of the Archkyrie**
*Swarm of the Marro is a hybrid set. It can be counted as a MS or 2 expansions.
** No more than one of these sets may be used in a single map.
My concern is the nomination says ROTV but the build clearly has SOTM.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:

3. Maps are not to exceed 1 MS and up to 3 terrain expansions. No more than 2 expansions of the same type may be used in a map. There are exceptions; please note the special set classifications at the bottom of this section.

• Expansions: Volcarren Wasteland, Thaelenk Tundra Road, To The Forgotten Forest, Ticalla Jungle, Marvel Heroscape**, Fortress of the Archkyrie**
After looking at the Map, It is just a misprint. It uses SotM instead of RotV, he must have had something else on his mind when he posted. I looked at the build instruction, and it only uses SotM, no RotV

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, I'll fix that.
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Quote:

1. Maps shall contain 24 hexes of start zone for each player. Start zones must be identified in the build instructions and must accommodate the Marro Hive in some capacity.
Seems like the judges were pretty clear from day one...

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
Quote:

1. Maps shall contain 24 hexes of start zone for each player. Start zones must be identified in the build instructions and must accommodate the Marro Hive in some capacity.
That rule can be interpreted as a minimum of 24 but can have more. You can contain 24 starting hexes in 30 starting hexes.

Anyway, its just something for the judges to consider. If they say no, than that's fine. But I can see where you could base an argument in nyys's favor.
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU Master 2007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
Quote:

That rule can be interpreted as a minimum of 24 but can have more. You can contain 24 starting hexes in 30 starting hexes.

Anyway, its just something for the judges to consider. If they say no, than that's fine. But I can see where you could base an argument in nyys's favor.
Regardless of what the judges decide, reading the current statement and construing it to imply that the call is for twenty-four starting zone hexes or more, would be an amazing stretch of English language lawyerism, in my opinion.
Old July 4th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Angear knows what's in an order marker Angear knows what's in an order marker

Quote:

• Expansions: Volcarren Wasteland, Thaelenk Tundra, Road To The Forgotten Forest, Ticalla Jungle, Marvel Heroscape**, Fortress of the Archkyrie**
I was just thinking (not normally a good thing ) but considering swarm of the marro is a hybrid set could you use 2 sotm? One as the masterset and 1 as a hybrid?

My map thread is here new map 10/16/12
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angear View Post
Quote:

• Expansions: Volcarren Wasteland, Thaelenk Tundra, Road To The Forgotten Forest, Ticalla Jungle, Marvel Heroscape**, Fortress of the Archkyrie**
I was just thinking (not normally a good thing ) but considering swarm of the marro is a hybrid set could you use 2 sotm? One as the masterset and 1 as a hybrid?
Yes, you could. One SotM counts as a masterset, and the other SotM counts as 2 expansions.
Old August 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Ry, I went over the first post (yours after UPC's) and checked all the links. If you want, or when you get the time, I tagged all the links as good, broken or otherwise for you to fix. (All in the spoiler.) All the links that take you to a download page on HSers I didn't test, I assumed they worked.

EDIT: I got a +rep from someone (signed, but I don't name my rep) saying that I have to much time on my hands. While it looks like this is true, duel screen and a system of 2 browsers and tabs made the task take 5(ish) minutes.

Spoiler Alert!

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.

Last edited by GreenLanturn; August 10th, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Personally, I think that the key point is already made on the second post of this thread:

Quote:
10. Do NOT slap a map together and nominate it for consideration. Nominated maps must have some games played by more than one person. Additional game play experiences and observations are encouraged.
This standard should be understood to apply both to new maps, and again, independently, to resubmitted maps.

Whether a map has been re-worked enough to merit a seperate look is of course a judgement call, and the BoV judges are free to vote "no to review" if they feel it has not. So, it's basically in the hands of the judges to decide what sort of resubmission standards they want to work with. That seems fine by me.

I am not the most impartial person to weigh in on this, since my nomination, resubmission after rules/bylaws discussion, and renomination after rework of "swamp helix" is the sort of thing that Revdyer was talking about. I passed all the criteria that R˙chean had listed, though.

As I've said before, I found the BoV feedback extremely valuable - even the relatively brief comments that came with a "no to review" vote. It's very unlikely that that map would have reached its current state without that feedback. It's extremely unlikely that I'll ever nominate "swamp helix" again, even though I think it's unlikely it's going to get inducted. I believe that I've run that map concept as far as I can, and at this point it's just a question of whether that map concept is considered BoV-worthy or not. Irrespective of the ultimate decision, I'll be satisfied. But I wouldn't have reached that point without the feedback I got through the BoV judging process.

As Revdyer points out, this feedback is not the reason the BoV process exists. But to me it seems like a positive side-effect, as opposed to a flaw to be corrected. It's only a problem if the judges feel that resubmitted maps are slowing the judging process by clogging up the queue.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios