Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old April 12th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
KC Hextreme Monster Mayhem Battle Reports

Thanks to the KC crew (you know who you are) and Drew at Pulp Fiction Comics and Games. You guys always make coming down there well worth the trip.

The rules for the tournament were 550 points and you had to have at least 1 huge figure in your army, and that huge figure got +1 atk and def against other non huge figures.

I really didn't like any knight armies. I kept ending up with odd point totals and just a bunch of filler units.

Krug jumped into my head for benefiting the most from these rules. I then remembered Spider's gencon army from a few years back (not sure of the year) of Krug / Swogs x 3 / Arrow Gruts x 3 / Raelin. I had 155 points left over and of course after seeing Codeman play in many tournaments, Mimring popped into my head and fit perfectly with these huge bonuses and my want for a special attack. So I kind of took a page from Spider and Codeman and combined it into one. The army did pretty well in the few chances that I got to play test it except I was still a little unsure of when to bring up the swogs. I really liked using Krug and Mimring and sometimes neglected the swogs.

I also knew that I would throw a few people off with not playing my knights of Maccabeus. So I ended up with -
Krug - 120
Raelin - 200
Arrow Gruts x 3 - 320
Mimring - 470
Swogs x 3 - 545

My first match was against R˙chean on Highways and Dieways swarm edition. I met Ry at the previous KC tourney and he was a pretty nice guy. So it was a pleasure for me to face off against one of the Texas greats. His army was -

Brunak - 110
Ornak - 210
Krug - 330
Mimring - 480
Marcu - 500
MBS - 550

I knew that I wanted to lead with Krug on this map since the roads make it pretty much impossible to stay away from him. Ry lead with some Ornak red flag and sent Marcu to Initiative glyph and MBS up to the road. I sent up Krug and a few AG, followed by Raelin. Ry brought up Mimring and got an AG or 2. I boxed Raelin in with swogs and Krug so that Ry couldn't get to her and I took out his Mimring awfully quickly and he lost 2 OM. I was able to establish high ground with my Mimring and take pot shots at Ornak and Brunak until his Krug joined the party. He busted my Mimring up pretty good, but I had height and Raelin and was able to survive with 1 HP left on him. While his Brunak and Ornak fell. His krug then fell to Mimring with height and a bunch of pot shots from my AG. I lost a full squad of arrow gruts. It was a pleasure playing against you Ry and I hope that I will see you at gencon this year.

1-0

My next game was against ej on Ticalla Sunrise. I played ej at the last KC tourney and he was a great guy. This time was no different. He had a pretty solid army of -

Heavies x 2 - 140
Grimnak - 260
10th x 3 - 485
Johnny - 550

We revealed the glyphs and the were common attack on the low side and initiative I think on the high ground. I knew that ej would go for the common attack glyph (who wouldn't). But I also knew in my play-testing (thanks to deliverymanxas' love of the 10th regiment) that Mimring's fireline pretty much dominates the 10th's 2 defense. I was able to keep his 10th busy over on the common attack glyph side with Mimring while Raelin moved behind the hive next to a jungle tree, so that ej had to come over to my side to be able to get a shot at her. Also my AG's did some decent damage with height and a swog against his 2 defense 10th. By the time his heavies and Grimnak showed up his defense dice had left the building. He rolled pretty poorly for the latter half of the game. I lost 2 swogs that game.

2-0

My next game was against bob of death on Ember Canyon Road. I've played bod once before and as always he's a great sportsman and was my pick for best sportsman (and he won it). He was playing his usual grub army -

TKN - 220
SBN - 380
MW - 430
Grubs x 4 - 550

I moved Mimring up first to the top of the canyon and firelined 2 of his grubs. He countered with SBN hitting Mimring for 4 wounds!!! Mimring countered and hit SBN for 4 wounds!! Mimring blocked the next attack while his dragon fell. I was on the lava, but rolled a shield for damage but TKN engaged on the next turn and killed Mimring. I then noticed that his gubs and TKN couldn't climb the canyon, so I put Krug in the way and blocked his path, so that his only way was through Krug. We all know how that will end up in the end. In the mean time my gruts were taking pot shots at his grubs and killing them off. TKN managed 3 wounds on Krug (he was backed by Raelin) before TKN fell. After that it was just a matter of catching up to the MW. I lost Mimring this battle.

3-0

My next battle was against cabracao on Ayrwode's Bluff.

His army was -
Micro x 3 - 300
TKN - 520
Eldgrim - 550

Having played against fomox enough times, I knew that the Micro on height were nasty, so I had to do my best to deny them that. I also knew that I wasn't going to kill Eldgrim until I absolutely had to because I didn't want stompy with 7 move. One of the glyphs was the healing glyph and cabracao didn't like that because it helped my team way more than his, so I suggested he overextend Eldgrim onto it and burn it; he did. I was on the bridge side while he was on the side with the little sand hill next to it. I fortified my position on the bluff while he kept sending an agent or 2 up to the little hill on the opposite side of the road. He rolled quite well for stealth armor (50%), so that was a tad bit frustrating. He did outrange my gruts, but not Mimring. We both played smart and were giving very little ground to the other, but I was trading gruts for agents and he knew that I would win in points so he basically bum rushed my hill and fell pretty quickly. TKN did manage to kill Krug off right before time was called. He had Eldgrim and twice wounded TKN left. I had lost Krug and a squad of Arrow Gruts.

4-0

My next battle was against cabracao's son (I think). It was on Winter Holdout (my favorite map ). His army was -
Hive - 160
Stingers x 5 - 460
Raelin - 540
Isamu - 550

GREAT!!! I had to play against the Hive on like the second longest map known to man (second to Marr Highway). It wasn't looking pretty early for me. He had established high ground with his stingers and had already twice wounded Krug and Raelin. I moved Raelin up to the center hill and brought Mimring in to tip the scales a bit, and it worked. I managed to push him off the high ground, but he was rolling for stinger drain just about every turn and it was about average. He self destructed twice, and got it a little over half the time, so he was still often attacking with 4 dice. Raelin was holding up pretty well though getting about 2 shields every time she was attacked. I knew that if I could get Krug to the hive I could win this thing pretty easily, so I cleared out some room with Mimring and some help with pot shots from my AG and moved Krug up. I engaged the hive with 2 wounds on Krug and put 1 on the hive. I just had to live through one round of attacks and I would be golden (or so I thought). I figured 4 defense (tourney rules) and 6 life should be fine. But NOOOO! He rolled for drain, got it and smacked Krug with 4, 4, 4, skulls! CRAP!!!! Back to the drawing board. I still had him on his heels a bit, so I kept using Mimring to hit the hive + a stinger every turn. He had raelin hid behind a ruin giving the hive extra defense. I was able to get him down to 1 stinger, but with rebirth he brought it back to a full squad. In the meantime, he had killed all but one of my gruts, Mimring had 4 wounds, and so did Raelin. But I had the hive down to 1 more HP, too. I just remembered the healing glyph on the far side and sent Mimring over to it also killing to stingers with fireline. Time was called. He had one more turn left. He attacked Raelin with his last stinger from low ground and got 2 skulls. I was trying to do a quick point count in my head. I had 3 swogs (75) + 1 Arrow Grut (40) + Mimring (150) + Raelin (80) = 345. He had the Hive (160) + 1 stinger (60) + Raelin (80) + Isamu (10) = 310. So I was barely winning. And basically had to defend this last 2 skull attack against Raelin with 4 defense otherwise I would lose. I was kicking myself for not trying to finish off the hive since it only had 1 HP left. So I picked up the 4 Jesus dice and threw them into the dice tower and....2 Blue Crosses showed!! Man, that was a close one! It was a great game and really could have gone either way, if he killed off Raelin, or if I managed to finish off the stupid hive!

5-0 1st place

Map Review -
Highways and Dieways Swarm Edition - Awesome map for melee, job well done.
Ticalla Sunrise - Another high quality map from the best mapmaker here on Scapers!
Ember Canyon Road - Talk about a shooting gallery! This map is very ugly and I would rather have a root canal then play on it again!
Ayrwode's Bluff - The greatest map ever!
Winter Holdout - Um...not my favorite.

Thoughts -
I'm not tooting my own horn (well maybe a little), but after playing and having won tournaments with knights , heavy gruts, and arrow gruts, I truly believe that true bonding is by far the best ability in this game!

Also Drew and the KC crew always put on a great tourney. If any of you scapers can make it to one of their tourneys (not on Easter Saturday guys ) you should!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: KC Hextreme Monster Mayhem Battle Reports

Very cool, I never really paid much attention to Mimring. One of these days, I'm going to go to a tourney and see how good I play! Congrats on the wins!
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:24 PM

roostertail9000 is surprisingly tart

Great win!

Boise ID Scaper
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Supergeek knows what's in an order marker Supergeek knows what's in an order marker

Congrats on another tourney win!
That's a similar build to what I was going to bring.

I <3 HeroScape tournaments!
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM

ACEoSPADES *glass shatters*

I had fun at the tourney, even though I all most got last. It was a fun experience, and im kicking myself for not putting in a character in my army. Thanks again KC scapers.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports