Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

View Poll Results: Do you like this idea?
It rocks! 1 16.67%
It's cool, but needs more work. 4 66.67%
What is this? 1 16.67%
Hell No! 0 0%
You should be banned from everything heroscape forever! 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 28th, 2007, 01:14 PM

simplegarak has disabled reputation
Dungeon Dash (aka Treasure Hunters)

Hello! Hope this isn't too forward for my first post. Here's a heroscape variant that I came up with and am continuing to refine this. Feedback is of course welcome.
Especially:
Squads, I'm still ironing out some of the details on them.
Glyphs, working on the balance between too good and too bad.
Numbers, if you think some are too high or too low, I'm very flexible on them.

These are the rules for designing and running a sort of dungeon or "tomb raider" scenario. (I'll get an example map up as soon as I figure out how)

REQUIRED RULES

GOAL:
Be the one with the most points in relics at the end of the game.

SET UP:
At the beginning of the game, choose an even number of glyphs from the chart below, half "blessed" and half "cursed". Shuffle and mix these glyphs up and then place them symbol side up around the map (see example). Make sure your map has at least one castle wall section with a latter somewhere. Each of these represent the "way out" of the dungeon.

It is generally advised to have several narrow "hallways" leading to a large "central" area.

THE RELICS:
If a character stops on a glyph at any time, that glyph MUST be turned face up. (however a character may "run by a relic", moving over it without turning it up, this only happens when a move ends on one)

If a character is standing on a glyph, they may "pick up" the relic and attempt to escape the dungeon with it. Take the glyph and place it on that character's army card.

An army card may only have one glyph on it at a time.

You may "drop" a relic at any time during the "move" phase of the carrier's turn by placing the glyph (power side up) down on the carrier's current hex. (if a squad is carrying a relic, you may place it under ANY figure on that army card that is moving at the time)

If a figure is killed, place any glyphs they were carrying in the space they were standing.

If a squad is carrying a glyph, the glyph is dropped when the last member of the squad on that army card is killed.

A glyphs power (see below) is in effect whenever someone is standing on it AND if it's being carried.

Whenever a glyph references "this figure" it means the figure standing or carrying that glyph. If a squad is carrying the glyph, then "this figure" applies to all members of that squad, else it only applies to the member of the squad standing on it.

You may only use 1 Glyph of Brandar.

RETRIEVAL:
If a figure manages to climb the ladder and reaches the top wall hex, they may spend 1 movement to "escape" the dungeon. (note, you MUST be able to move off the last hex. if it takes all your movement just to get to the top of the wall, you have to wait for another turn to move off) Take the figure and place them on their army card.

Any glyph that figure was carrying have been "retrieved" and no longer affect the game. Place the glyph aside to keep track of which relics you get full points for.

If a squad is carrying a relic, all members of that squad must escape before the glyph is "retrieved".

WALLS:
The edges of the map are considered to be solid walls. If at any point a figure's line of sight goes off the map, the LOS is considered to have been blocked.

VICTORY:
After 8? rounds (think that's the right number?) or if any effect ends the game, every player then tallies their relics to see who won. A "retrieved" relic is worth their listed point value. A relic that is being carried (a figure standing on it does not count) is worth half of their point value. The one with the most points wins!

OPTIONAL RULES

DUNGEON HEIGHT:
Choose a number before the game beings. This is the "height" of the dungeon and no figure equal to or greater than that height may be used in that scenario. Example: If you choose for the dungeon to have a height of 10, only figures with a height of 9 or less may be used.

LOW CEILING:
Powers that reference MOVING OVER something (leaping, flying, swinging, grappling, etc) may NOT be used. Powers which allow moving THROUGH other figures may be used normally.

Exception: If players desire, they may designate one are of the map (usually the central room) which is considered "high ceiling" and the above banned powers may be used normally.

BACK FOR MORE:
After a figure has successfully escaped a dungeon, you may have them "return" to try and get more relics or help their friends. At the beginning of a round, players may place a figure that removed from the board, back, in a starting space. The relic they retrieved stays in your points pile but all wounds, negation markers, and other non-relic effects stay on the figure. If you have anything which targets a figure (like MacDirk warriors) that power is NOT "on" or "applied" while the target is off the board, but do resume as soon as the target returns.

MARVEL MIX-IT-UP:
Players are allowed only one marvel figure in their armies. (This is assuming you do a mass army mix, obviously if you choose to play with ALL marvel heroes, this doesn't apply)

THE GOLDEN RELICS:
If you have the marvel set (or access to the relics from it) randomly place the two of them, symbol side up, close to each other in the central area. Both of these are high point value relics. They are...
The Oracle Device 500pts (Object of Power Glyph) - At the beginning of each round, skip the initiative roll. The player controlling this character chooses who goes first that round instead.
The Shatter 1000pts (Mysterious Item Glyph) - When this relic is revealed, and at the end of each round, the player controlling this character rolls a 20-sided die. 1-7: The game immediately ends. Check for victory. This relic is now worth 0 points.

[UPDATES]
11/29/07 - added "back for more" rule
- added Q&A to 3rd post.
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:15 PM

THE RELICS

K, here's the details/chart on the relics for this scenario. Once I'm set on these, I'll convert them to a spreadsheet and post it for download if people want. (still working on the names too, and a shout out to Gary for his handy table of glyphs)

They are all listed as...
Relic Name Pt_value (Real Glyph you use) - Power
Let me know if any question.

Chest of Doubloons 150 (Brandar) - This relic may count as Blessed or Cursed when you are setting up the game.

BLESSED Relics.
Blood Seeker 100 (Astrid) - Add 1 automatic skull to attack rolls this figure makes.

Ghost Bow 100 (Ivor) - When this figure makes a ranged attack, ONLY check for range (ignore Line of Sight).

Holy Chalice 100 (Kelda) - At the start of each of this figure's turn, you must remove 1 wound marker from its army card.

Speed Boots 100 (Valda) - Add 2 to the move number of this figure.

Spirit Cane 100 (Rannveig) - This figure may move through any figure, is not attacked when leaving an engagement, and ignores all special tile rules. (stopping in water, lava field damage, etc)

Scale of Time 100 (Lodin) - When the player controlling this figure rolls the 20-sided die, once per round they may choose to reroll the die.

Original Art of War 100 (Crevcor) - This figure add 2 extra attack die when attacking normally.

Helm of Endurance 100 (Thorian) - Add 2 to the move number of this figure.

Bane Mark 100 (Ulaniva) - This figure gets +2 attack dice when attack a figure with a higher point value.

CURSED Relics
Addicting Puzzle 200 (Dagmar) - When you roll for initiative, subtract 8 from your die roll.

Mercy Stone 200 (Gerda) - Add 1 automatic die to the defense roll of any opposing figure within 4 clear sight spaces of this figure.

Space Bender 200 (Erland) - When this relic is revealed or a figure stops on it, roll a 20-sided die.
1-5: This figure is considered to have successfully escaped with this relic. Place the figure on its army card and place this relic in your points pile.
6+: Remove this figure from the game.

The Drain 200 (Mitonsoul) - At the end of this figure's turn, add 1 wound marker to its army card.

Stone of Disease 200 (Sturla) - At the end of the round, destroy one friendly figure adjacent to this figure.

Shield of Mercy 200 (Jalgard) - When this figure attacks, the defender rolls two extra defense dice.

Mind Binder 200 (Nilrend) - This figure may not use any special powers listed on their army card.

Rebellion Box 200 (Oreld) - No order markers may be placed on this figure.

Belt of Entanglement 200 (Proftka) - Subtract 2 from this figure's move number (to a minimum of 1).

Ever-sharp Scissors 200 (Wannok) - At the end of each turn in which this figure moved, add 1 wound marker to its army card.
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Q&A:
WTF is up with escaping?
Ah, I may not have made it clear. Basically, it costs 1 movement to "escape" or move" off map". Thus, if you make it up the ladder and onto the top hex, you must still have at least 1 movement left to be able to leave. Thus, some players can "blockade" the exit by leaving a figure at the top, forcing opponents to pass through and/or kill the blocking figure before they can escape.

EXAMPLE MAPS:

4 player

http://www.heroscapers.com/download/?dlid=1051
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM

zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker
Wow! heck of a first post! It all looks great!

I do art. Check it out.

http://insanelyzanter.deviantart.com/
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!
Wow, this sounds cool. I like the carrying glyph and escaping idea. The escaping part is either great mechanics or really dragging (the spending of 1 turn on the exit).

Some may disagree with glyphs taking affect even when carried, but it sounds fun to me.

Old November 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly-Caco
Wow, this sounds cool. I like the carrying glyph and escaping idea. The escaping part is either great mechanics or really dragging (the spending of 1 turn on the exit).
I wasn't sure how to phrase that to make it understandable. Basically, you HAVE to be able to move out. If say... you have a move of 20 or something, you can zip up the ladder and out of the dungeon immediately. But if you spend all your move and make it JUST to the top hex, you'll still need to find some way of getting 1 movement to make it out (using Sir Gilbert or a hex or something.

This was also to give players an option of "blockading" the exit for their enemies if they want to. (though of course, powers that allow you to go through an enemy fig would get around that)

Did that clarify anything? Think it improves or worsens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly-Caco
Some may disagree with glyphs taking affect even when carried, but it sounds fun to me.
That was done to balance out costs. Thus, 'cursed' glyphs cost more because you have to retrieve them WHILE they are hampering you (though I designed some in mind with players finding fun benefits from them) while the 'blessed' glyphs aid your escape so they cost a little less. Plus I found it less of a rules headache.

My specialty scenarios.
Dungeon Dash
Zombies!

"I think the world would be a more peaceful place if everyone solved their problems through violence."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios