Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old December 20th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Master Custom Creator

Doc_Savage is surprisingly tart
HALLS OF VALHALLA (Best Of Custom Units) - Nominate Here!

Here is where you nominate customs to join the best in the Halls of Valhalla.

HALLS OF VALHALLA

THE BEST OF HEROSCAPE CUSTOM ARMY CARDS

The Halls of Valhalla is a place to recognize and share the very best custom army card creations by the Heroscape community through the years.

There have been many great additions to the standard Heroscape units, but some stand out from the rest. Some deserve special appreciation as outstanding examples of fierce creativity, fun game play, imaginative characters, beautiful cards, and influence on the customs community.

Honoring our Roots

There is a special place in the Halls for those inspired creations of the past, the pioneering custom cards; the ones that we saw and said, “Wow! I can add that to this game!” The army cards of Historic importance may not have perfect graphics or the most balanced cost, but without them there wouldn’t be any of the cards we have today.

The Structure of the Halls

There will be a single Stickied or Announcement Halls of Valhalla thread. This thread will be locked and may only be added to by ‘Scapers admins. At the top of the thread will be links to the following threads:

The Nomination Thread (starting with these rules)
The Discussion of Nominees Thread
The Halls General Discussion Thread (for discussion of Halls topics - not nominees - also containing these rules)

Following those links will be the Halls – Divided into “Honoring Our Roots” and “Heroscapers Best”

The Halls Listings can include game notes from the creator or nominating member, biographies, in game photos, and of course, the card itself.

NOMINATION THREAD

This is where ANYONE in the Heroscape Community can put forward an Army Card that they feel is one of the Best of the Best. You may not nominate a card of your own. If there are figures to go with the card, it is best to include their origin as that is one of the first things people ask.

The Nomination should consist of the following:

The creator’s name.
A picture of the card.
A picture of the figure(s) – if possible.
The origin of the figure(s).
Why you think that this particular card belongs in the Halls.

Guidelines for Nominees

Any card can be nominated but few cards get in. The Halls is for the top-of-the-line units that show extra creativity above and beyond the norm. It's tough to lay specific rules on what makes it in to the Halls. The cards must be taken on a case-by-case basis since a well-written ability may just not fit with a concept for one unit but be perfect for another unit. The judges should explain their decisions they made regarding specific army cards. Expect the nominated units to come under extreme scrutiny. Creators and nominators should understand that it is nothing personal but in keeping with the expected high standard already set for the halls.

A nominated card should have proper grammar, good spelling and the overall aesthetics of the card will be held to a high standard.

Mechanics - The unit must be well balanced, not too strong or too weak for its point cost, and must not contradict official mechanics. The mechanics are the most important category overall. If the nominee isn’t perfect people will ask for revisions to the card rather than just living with the flaws.

Theme - How fun does the figure and its attendant powers 'feel?' Do the powers and stats all match up with the actual figure? The ideal goal in this category is to create an example of Theme X that fulfills everyone's basic desire of what they would want a Theme X unit to do. This category can also tie in with the next one...

Graphic Presentation - The card should either look like an official Heroscape card, or have a visual theme that follows the theme of the unit. Sometimes even when a card looks far from official, but fits the theme perfectly, it can be quite impressive.

Originality - This is an area often neglected by card creators. How new are the mechanics of the card? How unique is your combination of existing abilities? How different is it from anything anyone's seen before? How does it stretch the boundaries of Heroscape to new horizons? You can only accurately analyze this category by having seen a whole lot of custom units, so if you're a card-creator who doesn't look at the threads of any fellow creators, you're pretty much doomed from the start unless you can do really well in the other categories.

Characters imported to Heroscape from other media are frowned on in the Heroscapers Best section.

In summary –

To be a good custom, a unit must at a minimum:
1) Contain correct grammar and spelling.
2) Have abilities that are clear and unambiguous.
3) Be balanced for cost and playability.
4) Be thematically consistent.
5) Bring something new to the game or do things better than they have been done previously.

To get into the Barracks you can have just 3 or 4 of those – as long as #3 is one of them. The Barracks also likes for the card to have figures that are easy to get. That is less important to the Halls.

To be accepted into the Halls, a card would have to go above and beyond in most if not all of those areas. In addition, it needs to have the WOW factor. That something that makes people say, "That is an incredible idea!"

It is impossible to quantify the WOW factor. It is likewise impossible to quantify how you are going to evaluate something that by its definition is outside the bounds of what you have seen before.

Once nominated, the Judges will then weigh in on whether or not the card should move forward to discussion. If 3 or more Judges feel the card should move on, then a Nominee Discussion Thread will be created when a slot is available and in order of approval.

NOMINEE DISCUSSION THREAD

There will be no more than 2 active Nominee Discussion Threads at any given time. ANYONE in the community can participate in the discussion on these threads.

After a minimum of one week of discussion, voting may begin. Sometimes the discussion will go on longer. During the discussion period, if there are issues that the creator wishes to address, they can post rebuttals to issues or revisions of the card. When the creator is satisfied that they will make no further comments or revisions, the Judges will vote.

When the discussion and voting are done, the creator will have the option to have the discussion merged with their own creators thread.

Historic Cards are voted in or not – editing of the cards should not happen. Many of the creators have moved on from the community and you wouldn’t ask for a retouch of a Picasso to straighten a nose. If the creator wishes to or already has updated the card, that new card can be linked.

VOTING

As we restart the Halls, there will be 6 Judges on the Panel. When it comes time to vote, each Judge should cast their vote in the Nominee Discussion Thread and give the reasons for their vote. If more Judges join the Panel, the following requirement still stands; Two dissenting votes eliminates a nominee. The Panel shall have a maximum of 9 Judges.

To get into the Halls there has to be an overriding consensus that the card is deserving of a place with the best of the best. A minimum of 4 Judges must cast YES votes. There can be a maximum of 1 dissenting vote.

If one Judge strongly objects, the voting shall not be considered final until the objection is considered by the other Judges. Each Judge then makes a final determination as to their vote.

Judges may not vote on their own customs, but they may participate in the discussion of their custom.

Should the card be voted in to the Halls it will take its place either Honoring our Roots or with the cards representing the Heroscapers Best.

The words and work of Karkadinn, Reapersaurus, Rhydderch, LilNewbie, doesntcompute, Doc Savage, ArchonShiva, Euryon and others contributed to this document.

"Just let the dirt shower over you" - Brennan Huff
"Do Good, Avoid Evil" - Charles N. Mahlman
Check out my Custom Cards
Check out my blog: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/
Old December 20th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Master Custom Creator

I would like to nominate the Aratak's Zombie card for the "Honoring our Roots" part of the Halls because (as far as I know) it was the first Zombie card, he made up the headshot targeting area, and it inspired many of us to create our own cards.

[/quote]

There many other cool Aratak cards....

Old December 20th, 2006, 03:43 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
So I can discuss this card in this thread, right?

I like the idea of Zombies but I've never much cared for this card. I think honoring our roots is fine and all, but I feel there must be better zombie cards out there. Just because this is the first doesn't make it a wonderful card, in my opinion.

I think it has the potential to be incredibly unbalanced as figures are added, plus it's got that weird bit of flavor text, is not an overly attractive or authentic looking card, and has an awkwardly worded power that could cause confusion. Do I move all zombies every activation? I assume so, but the card doesn't really clarify how the power works, and I think that's not worthy of the Halls.

As usual, I'm harsh when I criticize, but it's the only way I know how to be. I think it's pointless to *****-foot around my thoughts. Straight up criticism is the best way to go.
Old December 20th, 2006, 05:41 PM

ArchonShiva has disabled reputation
Zombie customs were bound to show up.
The head targetting area was bound to come up too.

There's a term in patent law for this, which basically means an invention was "too obvious" to be patented. I don't object to precursor cards, but these aren't especially impressive.

And, reading the cards, you can plop 400 points for 80 zombies, which possibly ALL move and attack with a single order marker (since they are, conceivably, one squad?)

Thios does, however, bring up something.

Old timers, the guys who've been around forever, Hero himself, perhaps:

What is the first custom you remember seeing posted on .net?

By respect for your fellow posters, please refrain from gratuitous use of the terms "******", "****", "****", "*****", "***", "****", "***", "******", "******" and "GenCon exclusive".
Old December 20th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Aratak has disabled reputation
First, thanks for the nomination, Doc. That's very kind of you.

I can't quibble very much with jcb231's criticisms. In my defense, as to the look of the card, there were very, very few people doing anything other than posting typed "card ideas" out there, so I wasn't trying to replicate the cards (that came weeks or months later). I scanned actual Heroscape cards and provided them to the community. That is the actual Monroeville Mall in the background (from the original Dawn of the Dead). As to the zombies, I always tried to use readily accessible, cheap figures, so they are baseline Mage Knight zombies; one can field a mass of them for a couple of bucks, usually.

As to the power, I am rather surprised that there is any confusion. Yes, you move the zombies whenever you activate the card. My intention was to create a slow-moving but turgid zombie horde. That is pretty much what you get with this card.

As to balance, I can't say whether it is possible to "***** it out" with this old boy. We've had it lose in play here at the House of Fun and we've had it win here at the House of Fun. It's never been a point of contention among our players. A squad with ranged weapons in the open is going to fare quite well.

In any event, I always thought it was an interesting card with a simple, unusual mechanic. I really do need to do a graphic overhaul on it some time, I reckon.
Old December 20th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Aratak has disabled reputation
Truth be told, I always thought my most unusual card was this:

For a better-size scan of it, go here: http://home.comcast.net/~jarnold116/TankS.jpg

Of course, I suppose tanks are "too obvious" as well. I'm just sayin'.
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aratak
In my defense, as to the look of the card, there were very, very few people doing anything other than posting typed "card ideas" out there, so I wasn't trying to replicate the cards (that came weeks or months later). I scanned actual Heroscape cards and provided them to the community.
Yeah, you did the custom community an awesome service putting these out back on .net. They enabled me to create customs, and I remember how excited I was when you posted them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva
Old timers, the guys who've been around forever, Hero himself, perhaps:

What is the first custom you remember seeing posted on .net?
You know, I don't remember exactly which one it was, but it was one of Aratak's customs. Probably Talos, but I faintly remember another undead card he had using that same purple card, can't remember for the life of me what it was.

I sure wish I could find all my old craptastic looking customs from .net. I found a few of them on our jump not too long ago, but I'd like to see them all. Oh well.

I think I'm gonna have to vote this one out of discussion, though. Aside from card appearance and mechanics (which these things aren't an issue to me from a roots standpoint), I just don't think this one is as ground breaking or trend setting or memorable as some of the other Roots cards.

Hopefully you'll be hanging out with us a bit more, Aratak?

smallboxgames.com
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:45 AM

ChaosChild has disabled reputation
I am going to pass on this one as well.

I was not around on .net so, this card doesn't give me feelings of nostalgia. My reasons for passing on Dawn of the Dead are for gameplay, mechanics, and thematic reasons.

First, the head only target zones are fine for movie zombies but, they don't translate to heroscape very well (even though the official zombies have them now). I agree that arrows and bullets wouldn't have much affect on the zombies' torsos but, Mimring and DW9K (just 2 examples) use the same target zones for their SAs. I don't think it would matter where those SAs hit the zombies. The ability "Tough" (just an example) would better represent the zombies' survivability and still leave them vulnerable to SAs that would destroy them.

Second, there is no reason to make them a common squad. You would only need one anyways so, why not make it unique?

Third, the Horde ability doesn't take into account the rule that you move and attack with the figures pictured on the card. It could have been worded to fit with the official rules better.

And last, a couple other things that don't sit right with me. A move of 2 is severely limiting as to where this horde of zombies can go on a battlefield but, is slightly compensated for by the fact that you can have an inordinate amount of them. Also the flavor text should not be the first thing in the ability text area.

Kumiko is not impressed with your sculpt, either.
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:15 AM
Master Custom Creator

OK, so everybody is all nutso that Zombies finally came out in wave 6. This was the first zombie card! Yes others came after and the mechanics aren't perfect, but I was hoping to be able to get some of the very first customs into the Halls.

This is the first Zombie Heroscape card. For me, that is enough.

If we judge the roots cards like the contemporary cards, nothing will get in. Talos will live alone in the Honoring our Roots area.

ArchonShiva - I don't think that 400 figures would fit in your starting zone. And they have a move of 2.

Old December 21st, 2006, 07:34 AM

ArchonShiva has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aratak
Of course, I suppose tanks are "too obvious" as well. I'm just sayin'.
Please don't take this badly. I'm not saying they can't get in because they're zombies, just that they don't get in free just because they're zombies.

I;m not goign to review the tank because it's not been properly nominated, and I don't know which category it's screening for, but as a "real" card, the "primitive weapons" bit is something I couldn't possibly let go of. (I mean, arrows work but not Drake's magic sword? What's this tank have that DW9k doesn't? Oh yeah, life points! <lol>) Oh yeah, and right and left don't work out on a Hex map.

By respect for your fellow posters, please refrain from gratuitous use of the terms "******", "****", "****", "*****", "***", "****", "***", "******", "******" and "GenCon exclusive".
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Master Custom Creator

Karkadinn has disabled reputation
Hmm, everyone recovered from the holidays? Good. Here's a new nominee, from HEH's thread. I thought this one was actually in the Halls at first... it did well in the item contest on HQ (if the actual item had been a bit less of an afterthought, I'm sure it would have beaten out that Warhammer ripoff assassin ^_~), IIRC, and was quite popular. The 'make a figure attack another figure' mechanic was beloved by all, and meshed with the theme nicely. The figure is Problem Child With Knife for $5.90: http://www.fozzbozz.com/default.aspx?item=24-HFH013

Professional fiction
Fanfiction
To Ne-Gok-Sa
Like dating women
Statistics doom your players
Till they get lucky
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM
has been BANNED

Stealth Dodge is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Nightmare scenario seems too devastating for 70 points. If my opponent has Orcs I could choose their Tornak or Grimnak and kill many of the surrounding gruts. Or imagine using it on their Finn to destroy everyone around him benefitting from his +1. Any support units that require adjacency would be in trouble

As far as your own army imagine moving your Jotun or whoever in the middle of your enemy and getting 5 or 6 attacks at 8 dice each. That would be insane

**Granted it is based on the D20 but 30% odds are not bad and I find this ability far more useful and potentially devastating than Dunds. Instead of making a unit lose its markers you can make it kill its own pieces

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards