Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old June 25th, 2009, 06:16 AM

DarQraven Woo who?
Range vs. Directs

Hi there!
I'm a new player here, and unfortunately only own one master set. (Expansions are really hard to come by where I live)

So far I love the game, but I keep noticing one thing: Range seems way too powerful to me:/

Seeing as you only get one terrain set with RotV, most maps will be pretty small in footprint if you also want some interesting height advantages.
This means that a squad like the AE, Syvarris or even Krav Maga can, in a lot of cases, shoot diagonally from one side of the map straight to the other one. Meaning there is no way in hell to dodge these guys.
Same goes for DW9k's range, and having just the basic figures, the only way I've found of beating him is swarming him and trying to force him to leave engagement or just send someone like Drake or Agent Carr over there.

The problem here is: assuming there are some height differences, you'll be shot twice by the guy before you even get into range. And that's assuming he just stands still and there are no other units to bother you.
In every game we've played where one player would pick ranged and the other would pick directs like the Izumi, Drake, Carr, etc backed up by Raelin, thorgrimm/finn or w/e, the ranged would win easily, independently of who played the ranged army.

Are we missing some vital strategy here? Are there house rules that counter this effect a bit?
I was thinking somethign along the lines of: Movement/2 = new movement and Range/3 = new Range (roughly). Would make for a bit slower games, but this would allow directs to close in on ranged units a lot easier.
Old June 25th, 2009, 09:08 AM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Range vs. Directs

First things first, Welcome to the site!

Second, sorry about Hasbro not selling too much in the Netherlands

Third, When I started playing, I also decided range was way too powerful, Syvarris just picked off every figure, so I started building maps that you could hide your figures behind those ruins, then range can't get you, and the next turn you would be within striking distance.
If you want to be mean, a good counter for this is using Mimring, his fire line has a range of 8, and flying.
But, I agree with you, range was originally too powerful, and it still is in some cases *cough* 4th, 10th, AE, KMA *cough*

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Range does have a strong advantage, thats is just the way it is in this game.

The only way to counter that is try to build maps that favor melee more than range. EI, do not make that big hill in the middle where syvarris just shoots everyone he feels like. Spread it out, use the ruins to block LOS. Even use some custom Line of sight blockers really helps even the playing field.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:56 AM

Nikmis Woo who?

Also a rule I missed when starting is that once a figure is engaged they have to target that figure(s). So once you have someone next to them it can buy you time to advance other figures.
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:23 PM

Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker

As has been said, basically you just have to hide. Although, Sgt. Drake can't be attacked by non adjacent figs AT ALL. I'd say that evens the odds a bit. A little. Just a little.
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:37 PM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar Gen. View Post
As has been said, basically you just have to hide. Although, Sgt. Drake can't be attacked by non adjacent figs AT ALL. I'd say that evens the odds a bit. A little. Just a little.
Sgt. Drake is only protected from non-adjacent NORMAL attacks.

I'm selling a bunch of Heroscape stuff to pay for personal emergencies, please see my trade thread post: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=6803
Old June 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwing17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar Gen. View Post
Sgt. Drake is only protected from non-adjacent NORMAL attacks.
That does reduce things down to DW9K, Mimring, and the AE's grenade for the master set though.

The important thing to do is try to block their line of sight with ruins, terrain, or custom made stuff in your case.
Old June 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM

Majai of Dreams is surprisingly tart

Yes range does have an advantage. And when you eventually get expansions some day, you will see many close ranged figures that are designed to thwart long ranged ones.

When drafting armies, try and make a balance. The game is definitely not designed for a full ranged army to engage a melee one. Melee will lose 9 times out of 10.

A general strategy I implement in ANY game is to target and eliminate my opponents ranged troops then let the melee figures clean up the rest.

Make sound effects when you play Heroscape! It is sometimes annoying, but always more fun!
Old June 26th, 2009, 01:59 AM

foofoofun is surprisingly tart

Well if you have a hard time getting more heroscape try to see if you can get anything online. Also you could make a house rule that limits how much figures with range a player could have. Over all there is no real counter to ranged figures because other ranged figs will counter your counter. Finally if you practice and enjoy the game things will turn out well. And with the right help who knows what other good things could happen.

good will always win but evil will never die
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:12 AM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Or try some Heat of Battle type games. Thats where melee really shines.

FYI, Heat of Battle games you take turns placing units ANYWHERE on the map, even right next to your opponents.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions