Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old November 19th, 2019, 09:41 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] Pod 0 (Main Thread)

Added Glyph of Healing to the OP. Would love to add the sand hexes, too, but it's hard to argue with that being a bad idea on account of the limited terrain.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 19th, 2019, 11:19 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Honestly, I’d rather reserve Sand Dunes or whatever for scenario play and let the community use the rule if they like it.

The wierded tiles could have effects similar to molten stone tiles or it could boost ranged defense by sitting on it. That’d probably help makers, even though the terrain is preset. Again, used for scenarios but I can see mapmakers using either version.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old November 29th, 2020, 10:51 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hello Pod 0!

The other day I was thinking about the Power +1 and Toughness +1 glyphs and how they will be incorporated into the Master Set. I believe that at this point the plan is to just make them identical to the glyphs of Astrid and Gerda (+1 Attack and Defense). While I think that direction works, I was wondering if there was something more unique that could be done with them. How about adding an automatic skull/shield to a figure's attack or defense roll, with the restriction that it could only be used once per turn?

The once per turn restriction would make the attack glyph more helpful for heroes than squad figures, and the defense glyph would be more useful when defending against heroes than against squad figures. I think the automatic skull or shield would still be very powerful, but with the once per turn restriction, probably not quite as powerful in most scenarios overall as Astrid or Gerda? Especially if the rules were worded in such a way that you had to decide whether or not to use the glyph before rolling your attack or defense.

I also really like how this direction ties in nicely to the names printed on the glyphs, as an automatic shield fits the name of "Toughness +1" by corresponding to the Tough power in classic heroscape.

The other advantage to creating new glyphs instead of reusing Astrid and Gerda is that this will give both veteran and new players more options when creating competitive scenarios. Both Astrid and Gerda are two of the more gamewarping glyphs in heroscape and aren't typically very well suited for competitive play. My hope is that with the once per turn restriction, the new glyphs would be scaled down in power sufficiently to be more widely usable in scenario creation.
Old November 29th, 2020, 09:34 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I could see that on both, with testing of course. Note that they'd probably make the most sense as a package deal, so if one doesn't work out we're probably better off with both going back to flat +1s. Probably looking at something like:

"Once per turn before attacking normally, a figure you control may add 1 automatic skull to whatever is rolled."

and

"Once per turn before defending (against a normal attack), a figure you control may add 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled."

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 30th, 2020, 10:50 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I agree that they only make sense as a package deal. I want to keep the affects symmetrical if possible. However, one thing that makes me optimistic about this direction is that the automatic skull/shield versions don't need to be perfectly balanced, just more balanced and fun than a flat +1 to attack/defense, which isn't a particularly high bar to clear in my opinion. Unless testing shows that the proposed new version works worse than Astrid and Gerda, I think these new versions will improve the quality of the Master Set.
Old November 30th, 2020, 05:23 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Worth testing, for sure. The more uniqueness we can get in the better. Within reason.
Old November 30th, 2020, 05:24 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I like that direction a lot for those glyphs. The fact that the physical glyph even says "Toughness +1" helps sell it a lot, IMO, and it makes sense that the actual glyph would be different then from the "Defense +1" of Gerda. I also like how it has the potential to play with Velkhor and give the set a bit more of a consistent flavor.

In terms of individual balance for the glyphs, I'm not super concerned about them finding a place in the competitive environment. Stuff like Ivor and Astrid can be absolutely game-warping, but they can still be featured in fun scenarios. So long as the glyphs are fun in just our box, I can live with them being too strong for the current tournament meta.

I'd be fine with limiting either glyph to the first attack/defense roll each turn, though. Letting players choose when to apply it adds an extra mechanic to remember (albeit a small one) and feels a little more fiddly in my opinion.

If we're making these two glyphs unique as well, then I'd like to throw in the Movement +2 glyph as well so that we have a full set of unique glyphs.
Old November 30th, 2020, 05:36 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Remember that even though we're shooting for VC compliance with units (and we're designing on the expectation that sets will be mixed), it's less likely that the glyphs will be used outside of someone playign with the set. IMO anyway.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 02:20 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Pinging the other Pod Members and Leads who haven't commented on the new glyph ideas yet:

@All Your Pie @flameslayer93 @capsocrates @Scytale

Captain Stupendous brought up the idea of having the Power +1 and Toughness +1 glyphs be an automatic shield and an automatic skull (only once per turn), respectively. So far most people seem to be in support of this change, as it provides more variety in glyph options and will synergize nicely with stuff like Velkhor.

If most of us are in support of the idea, then I can open up individual glyph threads to further discuss each design. I imagine that in this case we would also want to create a unique glyph for the final one, Movement +2, so that each glyph in AotV provides a unique option for players.
Old January 4th, 2021, 05:56 PM

Edited the official names and Generals into the OP. Looking forward to what we decide to do with the Glyphs.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 24th, 2021, 12:59 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I'll abstain on the glyphs at this time.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 28th, 2021, 02:03 PM

Alright, I think that it's time to call it here. I'm going to go ahead and throw up new pages for the three remaining glyphs to further discuss their potential. Discussion for them will then centralized to those threads, so even if we find the ideas to be problematic or want to go back to the reused glyph ideas from before, we can decide that in those threads.

EDIT: Link to the new threads:
Glyph of Movement
Glyph of Power
Glyph of Toughness

Last edited by Astroking112; January 28th, 2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added links to new threads.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs