Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Notices

Old October 24th, 2018, 07:50 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Index of 3D Printed Stl Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elstree View Post
Quick question: Has anyone tried printing srmalloy's flat-topped "tree base" tiles from thingiverse, the ones found here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1789245

(Note, they have to be rescaled to 10% size for most software, but that's not the problem.)

I printed a set out (at least up to those no larger than four hexes - the most I can print for free at my university). On a flat surface of heroscape tiles they fit great - there's a little bit of extra tolerance, so they slide around just a hair but that's not really a problem.

The problem is the lip around the edge is too wide and extends into the gutter such that they can't be placed adjacent to regular tiles. That is, you can't place them against "cliffs" or other elevated terrain. (Well, you can get one edge up against another tile, but two or more and it won't fit any longer.)

I was hoping someone might have already fixed the problem and have .stl files to share. I installed Blender with the thought that I might try editing the files myself, but to say Blender has a steep learning curve is an understatement.
Ive been using these for tons of custom terrain and objects and think they're amazing. Ive probably printed over 100 of these so far. what you could do to snug them up is simple. You are correct that you have to scale them down to 10% of their size. If you wanted it a hair more snug just take the scale down to 9.7% or 9.8% and it should fix it right up.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old October 24th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Quick question: Has anyone tried printing srmalloy's flat-topped "tree base" tiles from thingiverse, the ones found here:

(Note, they have to be rescaled to 10% size for most software, but that's not the problem.)

I printed a set out (at least up to those no larger than four hexes - the most I can print for free at my university). On a flat surface of heroscape tiles they fit great - there's a little bit of extra tolerance, so they slide around just a hair but that's not really a problem.

The problem is the lip around the edge is too wide and extends into the gutter such that they can't be placed adjacent to regular tiles. That is, you can't place them against "cliffs" or other elevated terrain. (Well, you can get one edge up against another tile, but two or more and it won't fit any longer.)

I was hoping someone might have already fixed the problem and have .stl files to share. I installed Blender with the thought that I might try editing the files myself, but to say Blender has a steep learning curve is an understatement.
Ive been using these for tons of custom terrain and objects and think they're amazing. Ive probably printed over 100 of these so far. what you could do to snug them up is simple. You are correct that you have to scale them down to 10% of their size. If you wanted it a hair more snug just take the scale down to 9.7% or 9.8% and it should fix it right up.
I've actually tried that. I rescaled a single hex to 9.75%. That allowed a single hex to fit adjacent to regular tiles, albeit it's a tight fit. I was afraid though that with the larger tiles (especially the long, straight 5-hex base tile) that it might be too much over that distance and no longer fit over the hex tops underneath.

To be clear, what I want to do is not to make them fit more snugly to the tops of the underlying hexes. I want to reduce the exterior dimension so that they don't intrude as far into the hex gutter so that they can sit right up against cliff faces.
Old October 24th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've actually tried that. I rescaled a single hex to 9.75%. That allowed a single hex to fit adjacent to regular tiles, albeit it's a tight fit. I was afraid though that with the larger tiles (especially the long, straight 5-hex base tile) that it might be too much over that distance and no longer fit over the hex tops underneath.

To be clear, what I want to do is not to make them fit more snugly to the tops of the underlying hexes. I want to reduce the exterior dimension so that they don't intrude as far into the hex gutter so that they can sit right up against cliff faces.
I took a look at the files and they don't have any radii, so it's just moving some points around.

Do you want me to do it for you, or do you want a quick Blender tutorial on how to do it? It's really not that hard in Blender.
Old October 24th, 2018, 09:50 PM

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I took a look at the files and they don't have any radii, so it's just moving some points around.

Do you want me to do it for you, or do you want a quick Blender tutorial on how to do it? It's really not that hard in Blender.
Give a man a fish/teach a man to fish...

I'll take the Blender lesson, if it's not too much trouble.

If you can describe what would need to be done to rescale, say, the two-hex tile I can probably figure it out for the rest of them.

I already have the .stls rescaled down to 10% from the original so you can start there if you like.
Old October 25th, 2018, 05:47 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Give a man a fish/teach a man to fish...

I'll take the Blender lesson, if it's not too much trouble.

If you can describe what would need to be done to rescale, say, the two-hex tile I can probably figure it out for the rest of them.

I already have the .stls rescaled down to 10% from the original so you can start there if you like.
OK, let's see if you can follow this. Let me know if you have questions. I'm using the two hex tile.

Quote:
Open Blender

Right click on the cube, hit the X key, and delete the cube.

At the bottom left, go to the View tab and click View Persp/Ortho. It’s a lot easier to edit the part in Ortho mode instead of Perspective mode.

File --> import --> .stl and import the model

Right click to select the model

Under the Tools Tab at the top left, do Scale, then move the cursor straight down and left click in the empty gray area. If you do it right, the Resize toolbar should appear. Under Vector, type .1 for X, Y, and Z to make the model 1/10 the size and easier to edit.

At the bottom left, go to the View tab and click Top to show the top view of the part.

At the bottom, go to Edit Mode (it starts in Object Mode)

Some Edit Mode tips:
- to select or unselect ALL vertices, type A (it’s actually little case “a”, with no SHIFT Key)
- to select only certain vertices, you can right click on them
- to select a group of vertices, type B and use the mouse and left click to make a window
- to toggle wireframe viewing ON/OFF, type Z
- if you are in wireframe viewing, using B will select all vertices through the part
- if you are in regular view (wireframe OFF), using B will select only the top vertices
- you want to be in wireframe mode to modify both top and bottom vertices at the same time

Now to modify:

Select only the bottom two vertices only (four if you include the ones into the page)
In the top left Tools tab, select Translate, left click in the lower gray area, and enter
X = 0
Y = .5
Z = 0
It should move the bottom edge up about half the thickness

Select only the outside vertices on the left side of both the bottom and top hexes.
In the Tools tab, select Translate, left click in the gray area, and enter:
X = .58
Y = 0
Z = 0
(the diagonals need to move a .115:1 ratio compared to the flats)

Select only the outside vertices on the right side of both the bottom and top hexes.
In the Tools tab, select Translate, left click in the gray area, and enter:
X = .-58
Y = 0
Z = 0

Select the lower pair of middle vertices
In the top left Tools tab, select Translate, left click in the lower gray area, and enter
X = 0
Y = -.5
Z = 0

Select the upper pair of middle vertices
X = 0
Y = .5
Z = 0

Select the pair of top vertices
X = 0
Y = -.5
Z = 0

Your part edges should now be thinner (same on the inside, but smaller on the outside).

Go to Object Mode
Go to File --> Export --> stl
Old October 26th, 2018, 10:07 AM

Thank you! I will give this a shot when I get home from work tonight.
Old October 28th, 2018, 12:03 AM

3D printed some more trees, this time using green, brown, and gray filaments. No painting required!

Old October 28th, 2018, 12:20 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Those are great!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 28th, 2018, 12:31 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Those are great @White Knight . I havent got to printing the trees yet. I've been thinking about it though. I've been on a Custom Heroscape Terrain tangent where I've been basing all kinds of fun stuff on those single hex tree bases. I've been printing different types of Star Wars turrets lately. Here's a great file for the Anti Infantry Battery. It's almost dead on with the measurements of an original star wars miniatures one at 77% Without modifying it, it will fit on a 7 hex I'm printing a set of two of them at 75% right now. Already did some atgar cannons as well. This file works great too for those. I'm going to do a man-able turret card for the Atgar cannon as well as the eweb. Here are the two files.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3041805 This one at about 75% to 77% will match the one HoSS does.
This one doesnt need supports.

The Atgar cannon is just at 100%
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2772222
This one does use supports but they are super easy to remove on this one.
Havent got to the Eweb yet, but these other files turn out awesome.

These should probably be linked over in the 3d Printable HoSS section huh.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old October 28th, 2018, 10:31 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

All I get is a grey circle with a white line when trying to see WK's trees. I tried to copy the link into Chrome as well but no luck.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old October 28th, 2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
All I get is a grey circle with a white line when trying to see WK's trees. I tried to copy the link into Chrome as well but no luck.
Google photos doesn't work for everyone.

Reposted on Facebook:

Old October 28th, 2018, 02:49 PM

I had the same problem viewing the photo, but I can see the facebook version.

Do you have an airbrush? I'd suggest a top-down blast all the way around, about 30 degrees off from vertical, with a slightly lighter green, then finish with a darker wash.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing