Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Notices

Old February 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
"Use The Search!"

I think we should lighten up on repeating this statement. It's not that funny, and not that helpful.

I'm totally awesome at finding old threads, especially ones I started, because I know exactly what they're called. If I type in "thoughts competitive pricing" and click the box for threads started by exact name- "Jexik." Only one thread will pop up. I'm so cool. Heck, I know that putting in the gibberish 4th>10th which isn't really a word will get you to another of my threads which repeats an oft-discussed topic. Woo!

But if someone has only been around a week or two, telling them to search is fruitless and annoying. Because A) They might not know that there are 13 threads on this exact topic and B) They might not know which words to search for, or how to narrow their search.

Is it really that obvious that "Hold the Phone" is the name of the popular thread for embarrassing rules mistakes? No, probably not, yet I'm sure a number of forum regulars know exactly how to find it in under 15 seconds.

Telling someone to search is kind of like telling a kid to look up a word in a dictionary to spell it. Just because that's a common response, doesn't mean that it's the proper one. If a child asks me how to spell onomatopoeia, or pterodactyl, I'd be a jerk if I told him to go look it up in a dictionary. If it's something that's easy, I'll ask them to sound it out and figure it out for themselves, but listen to them as they go and shake my head if they say the wrong letter.

When new posters repeatedly say things like "hey, I tried to search but didn't see anything," I think we're at the point where people certainly remind people of our search function often enough, and perhaps too much.

-J

[Just some thoughts after the discussion in The General Vibe thread. If you're really sick of the same topics coming up, just don't respond. I really don't want to turn away earnestly excited new players because they neglected to use the search function 'properly' before they start their first discussion topic].

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; February 4th, 2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Not even sure if this view is held by the admins. I just get more annoyed at the SEARCH crowd than the new posts they fight.
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:52 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: "Use The Search!"

Jexik...since obviously this is directed towards me (not completely but somewhat) I feel the need to chime in.

For threads like "Hold The Phone" where the OP gives the thread an obscure unclear title then I cannot fault someone for not finding it with the SEARCH function.

I think it really irks me more when people say "I tried to search but couldn't find anything" when the 1 keyword of their topic easily brings up several threads on the subject.

The SEARCH function is not perfect (especially when people do not give the thread a clear cut title) but it does hit alot more times then it misses. Also if someone went to one of those threads that hit and it wasn't the "main thread" on a topic I am almost certain that somewhere in that thread it links them to the MAIN TOPIC thread.

PS and I have made attempts to help

Last edited by Onacara; February 4th, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old February 5th, 2010, 08:52 AM
pretty princess pony precious power!

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Personally, I'm on board with Jexik. People just want to discuss heroscape, are new and haven't mastered the search function. I like to provide links and a short welcome.

A huge search tip I learned is to change search criteria from "search posts" to "search titles only". That helped a lot.

And one can make all the threads for helping they want though if said person continually comes off as a dick then no one who needs them will read them.
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby!

I'm very new here, and I'll certainly agree that searching is difficult. This place is a catacomb and even when I'm on the right track I'm not sure until I reach my goal. There are a lot of threads, with a lot of posts that aren't really saying anything. (like mine here!) You guys are all pros- we noobs are strangers here. We welcome your hospitality.
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I just made a suggestion in the site improvement box:

Quote:
Got me thinking, shouldn't the default for the search be "titles only". Since most of us only use titles when seaching, it would be much easier for new people when they first try their hands at searching.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

That's a good suggestion. Searching posts leads to a mess.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:50 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

That is a very good suggestion, wriggz.

The "similar threads" tab is an easy way to judge how easy it was to find a relevant thread by searching. For something like "siege" or "castle attack", to take a recent example, trivial searches find you relevant threads.
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Jexik...since obviously this is directed towards me (not completely but somewhat) I feel the need to chime in.

It's not just you. It's the half dozen others who might do their worst Onacara impressions, or say things like "I can't wait until Onacara gets a hold of this post..." etc. Then someone says "you need to capitalize those i's." There are some people who give someone some slack in their first few posts, but I periodically see a number of reformed teenage posters with habits little better than the new guys they're razzing.

I think you should put that link in your sig, or just link to it whenever you tell someone to search. It's helpful. As others said, you might also want to suggest searching for titles in that post.

I just think there's a way to re-direct and improve new people's posting habits with more tact than some posters show, and if someone's being a problem child by posting too many threads, you should report the post and/or PM an admin about it.

Quote:
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:54 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Jexik, did you use the Search function to make sure there weren't any threads about telling people to use the Search function before posting this?

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:43 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post

It's not just you. It's the half dozen others who might do their worst Onacara impressions, or say things like "I can't wait until Onacara gets a hold of this post..." etc. Then someone says "you need to capitalize those i's." There are some people who give someone some slack in their first few posts, but I periodically see a number of reformed teenage posters with habits little better than the new guys they're razzing.

I think you should put that link in your sig, or just link to it whenever you tell someone to search. It's helpful. As others said, you might also want to suggest searching for titles in that post.

I just think there's a way to re-direct and improve new people's posting habits with more tact than some posters show, and if someone's being a problem child by posting too many threads, you should report the post and/or PM an admin about it.
I have to agree that I hate the majority of the Onacara wannabes. Every once in awhile they do do it cleverly but the brash in your face "USE THE SEARCH" or "THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED 100 TIMES" responses do annoy me..especially when someone else has already pointed it out to them.

The other thing that irks me though is that even when someone politely directs them to the thread discussing the very thing they want to discuss, they and others, continue to post in the thread. But I digress.

~Onacara, who makes typos and doesnt always capitalize his i's when posting.
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Good post, Jexik. Even knowing what to search for sometimes is difficult. Recently I went looking for the Ace's Shed spectacle to provide a link to someone who didn't know about that infamous story. I had a ridiculously difficult time finding it, and I remembered quite a bit of the gory details. I was even using the google "site:heroscapers.com" trick, and it was still a whole lot of work.
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

What is this "Ace's Shed spectacle" you speak of?

Also I know what you mean. I have killed myself seaching for Hato "Correct" card, rather than the flawed on they packaged with and sold with the figure.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online