Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old December 26th, 2012, 02:18 AM

Bro-man knows what's in an order marker Bro-man knows what's in an order marker
Re: Fan Fic Contest: Are you the best writer?

Well Christmas is a bit over and I think it would be best to move along with a regular prompt.

Heh Heh, I just remebered that I did the christmas Prompt last year and both you and Son of Arathorn was switched on the winners.

Bro-man is a Minion of Utgar...
in the
The Cave of Christmas Celebration...
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:27 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Note: Due to the size of this, you can just read the last quote in this post, which is the prompt in far fewer words. The above words explain it in more detail, however, and I recommend that you at least glance over them, as doing so will aid you in matching the prompt.
Right then, I'll do a prompt of more epic proportions. Allow me to ponder...
Okay, after due consideration, much of it inspired, I fear, by watching the extended version of LotR that we got for Christmas, I have decided on a prompt. I wanted to do something slightly more original, but it seems the ultimate answer just can't be beaten. Here's your prompt:
Quote:
"Sir," said the young kyrie, snapping to attention, "the enemy is pushing us back. We've lost the north river and the south division is retreating. They've broken through the east wall."
Jandar looked up from where he sat, pouring over maps of his capitol. He sighed, wiping some strands of gray hair from his eyes. His face was creased and worn, the skin stretched across the bones from years upon years of war. The kyrie before him was young, much too young. He knew nothing of what battle brought.
"We will make our stand here," he said, bending back to the maps. Give the order to get the women and children out. If we hurry, we should have enough time before we have to close the gates."
The kyrie nodded stiffly. 'Not that the gates will do much good,' thought Jandar grimly to himself.
As the kyrie turned to leave, another sentinel flew in through the window and landed smoothly on the cold flagstones of the floor. "Sir!" he said, gasping for breath, "The armies... the armies..."
'What?" asked Jandar sharply, his years of experience telling him that something important had happened.
"They've been ambushed, sir," said the kyrie, regaining his breath at last. It's only a small force to each army, but they're being delayed. They won't get here in time; the main bulk of the enemy is pushing through the east wall. They'll be at the pass in minutes.
Jandar bowed his head and closed his eyes. So this was his foe's play. Catch his men while they were separated, delay them, and then destroy them, one by one. And while they were occupied, his main force would break open Jandar's capitol like a pile of pebbles. Why had he not foreseen this?
The force had to be stopped before they took the pass, it was the only way. However, Jandar couldn't risk any of his men, as he would need them to relieve his retreating armies. And if the enemy got through the pass, they would murder the women and children before they could get out. There was only one option left to Jandar, one option that his foe had not foreseen. Jandar opened his eyes and looked up at the expectant kyrie before him.
Jandar must use his remaining forces to crush the ambushers attacking his armies, so that they can retreat to his capitol. At the same time, he must somehow delay the enemy force, which is far larger than his own, from crossing through the pass to the east, which is the only way to his capitol. If either one of these endeavors fail, the enemy will break through, kill the women and children as they try to escape, and take Jandar's capitol. The war may be lost, and the battle may be hopeless whatever the outcome, but if a little time can be bought, the lives of the escaping innocents can be saved.
You must write the outcome of the option that Jandar's enemy did not perceive. Unknown to him, be it Utgar, Valkrill, whoever, Jandar has a lone warrior, battle hardened and experienced beyond years, capable of falling nearly any foe. Nearly. It is this warrior, perhaps with a small squad fo backup, that Jandar now sends to the pass. Will he succeed, and drive the forces back? Will he succeed, but die buying precious time for hsi general? Or will he fail, and die in the knowledge that he died for a good cause, fighting for others? The outcome is at your fingertips.
Let me be clear what I want here. I don't want some dwarf-like veteran that enjoys killing for his general. I want someone who detests what he does, because he knows what it brings, and I want someone who still does it, knowing that, because he knows for what he fights. Not the average sword-wielding righteous-wrath sort of guy.
So, to put it in fewer words:
Quote:
Jandar’s time is running out. While the women and children escape his doomed capitol, he sends one warrior, perhaps with some backup, to buy him as much time as he can, and halt the enemy’s progression through the east pass, the only way to his capitol. This warrior knows the pain of battle, and knows the repercussions a single death can have. He still fights on though, knowing that with each blow, the lives of the innocents escaping are being saved. As long as he can wield a weapon, the enemy shall not pass.
Good luck! Know that I might extend this another week, since it's already Wednesday. Only your entries can decide that.

Last edited by TGRF; December 28th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old December 28th, 2012, 03:10 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Okay, so one of two things is obviously going on. Either everyone is still playing with their Christmas gifts, or they take one look at my prompt and go somewhere else. Or both.
I'm going to extend this to next week, please try to get at least something in.
~TGRF.
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Don't worry I think this is a really great idea. I have an idea to use but I got one question. Can I use some weather and/or seasonal settings to use for this prompt?

in the
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:47 PM

Sure, you can use whatever you want. The more epic you make it the better, though.
~TGRF.
Old January 1st, 2013, 07:27 PM

Come on guys, get those submissions in!
~TGRF.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:43 PM

I think I can post a story up soon. I'll finish it when I get the chance. Don't worry your first entry will arrive soon.

in the
Old January 12th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Hey guys, if anyone here is interested the C3V is holding auditions to fill the Outer Sanctum Fiction Team. See THIS thread for details.

Cool prompt; I'll have to check this thread out more.
Old January 12th, 2013, 01:19 PM

Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Come on guys, get those submissions in!
~TGRF.
Just saw your prompt now. The juices are flowing!

If you have an idea for a signature, let me know. Until then, this stays here
My Trade List
My Custom Map Thread
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:12 PM

Ah, excellent. Submissions at last!
And Arch-vile, perhaps a better place to put that would have been in the discussion thread for such purposes in this forum?
~TGRF.
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:50 PM

I think I have time to finish my story soon, I will send it in when its done.

in the
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:38 AM

I'm going to be extending this until we have multiple submissions, hopefully at least three. Get yours in, Bro-man, I eagerly await it. Arch-vile, I'd love to see one from you too.
~TGRF.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction