Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old August 1st, 2012, 05:23 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape: The Lost Scenarios!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

The Gang is playing The Shadow Cavern this month, without me, unfortunately, as this is the month my wife has weekends free, so (to take long ones) Fridays (our usual day) are out.

I am looking forward to using the cooperative rules in my own scenarios, casting myself as a narcissistic megalomaniac, of course!
I'm totally waiting for somebody to do a more sci-fi or superhero version of these coop rules.
Chas and I talked today about setting up a superhero game with the rules. I'm sure it'll happen soon.

Old August 1st, 2012, 06:04 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: the Shadow Cavern: all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post
The Room 3 build has a few issues:
  • Including the shared start zone's adjacent two water tiles between Rooms 3 & 4 (top rear corner) kicks the water tile count up to 26, two more than you have with two full BftU sets. Rooms 1 or 2 have enough unused water tiles, you could borrow from them to finish the build, but this makes me think they shouldn't have been included in Room 3 at all (they aren't shown on Room 3, just the overall map & Room 4 build).
  • Additionally, there are five 3-hex dungeon tiles shown in the build, but you only have four. One on Level 3 is covered by Level 4, you can swap it with an unused 3-hex.
  • Finally, the scenario text doesn't delineate the waterfall pool in the build diagram, I'm going to assume it's only Level 2 water, not the Level 1 streams going away from it on either side; that's too much real estate for the benefits it offers, IMO.
I went ahead and loaded up Shadow Cavern on my HS site. (IE users will need to use IE version 9 or greater in order to view the graphics.)

While entering the info I noticed some of the above mentioned errors. I swapped out the first 3-space dungeon land tile for a 3-space grass land tile on Room 3 (since it is completely covered by the 3-space Rock Outcrop). In the full adventure build, I took off the purple indicators on the two "shared" water tiles between Room 3 and 4 since they can't be shared because they don't exist in Room 3. And in the full adventure build, the missing water hexes in each "treasure pool" in the released PDF are not missing on my illustration. Also in the full adventure build, I noticed some missing terrain pieces in Room 4. A 1-space Rock Outcrop and surrounding shadow tiles are missing when compared to the actual assembly instructions for Room 4.

Plus something else that doesn't sound right ... the progressive scenarios have Player 1 drafting from Utgar only, and not from Utgar, Valkrill, and Vydar until the Exit scenario, to go with the story. However, in the Campaign rules, it makes it sound like Player 1 starts out right away with having the choice to draft from all three, which I believe is incorrect.

I didn't get to play the scenario last weekend like I had hoped, but Room 1 is built and all the game pieces are out on the table ready to go! Now I'll see if I can talk my boys into beating up on the old man.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; August 2nd, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
While entering the info I noticed some of the above mentioned errors....I took off the purple indicators on the two "shared" water tiles between Room 3 and 4 since they can't be shared because they don't exist in Room 3.
I've come to this same conclusion after "typing out loud" twice--only the "shared hexes" diagram is in error, the room builds (except for said mislabeled 3-hex dungeon tile) & start zones are correct; that's the smallest possible error.
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:57 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
If you have a Tundra set and don't mind subbing in pieces from the RotV, I'm fairly sure you can pull these off with BftU, RotV, and TT. The oddest part is using ice for shadow.
Or you could use SotM swampwater for "green shadows."
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:00 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post
The scenario text doesn't delineate the waterfall pool in the build diagram, I'm going to assume it's only Level 2 water, not the Level 1 streams going away from it on either side; that's too much real estate for the benefits it offers, IMO.
Like UtahScott, I would like a more specific description of exactly what spaces are included in "the water spaces that make up the waterfall to the north" in Room 3. (Is it all 20 water spaces to the north, or just the 10 elevated water spaces, or something else?)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Glad they finally released this as well. Had a lot of fun play-testing this one in particular. Fond memories of Kaemon in the middle of the shadow lake killing, well everything...

Also there was an intense Mogrimm vs. Braxas battle in the 5th room. Good Times!!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; August 2nd, 2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Sorry I'm 2 weeks late to the party, but there's this Gen Con thing coming up...
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Spin Master

Friday I got a chance to do Room 1 with 4 players. The random order markers did not go well for the Adventuring Team (Tandros, Darrak, Eravan, Sharwin, Eltahale, and Heirloom) and Player 1 was the winner (Shurrak, Phantom Knights x2, and Ogre Pulverizer; Shurrak kicked some butt). There wasn't time to try again, so it's too soon for me to give an opinion on the cooperative play rules.

I just replayed Room 1 with 2 players (my son and I) so it was the usual order marker rules. We replaced Sharwin with Rhogar, and replaced Eltahale with Master of the Hunt. Things went much better for the Adventuring Team. As expected, Master of the Hunt (healed a couple times by Rhogar, after wounded by Phantom Knights) made the difference by taking out Shurrak before he could do much damage. The only destroyed hero on the Adventuring Team was Rhogar. Now on to Room 2...

Last edited by GaryLASQ; August 7th, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old August 13th, 2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGuru
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott
Hey Chris,

Question about the Waterfall in Shadow Cavern Room 3:

The scenario text says that the waterfall pool will help heal (or kill) figures, but the area of the waterfall isn't specified. There's a level 2 "pool," and Level 1 streams that flow away on both sides. Is the healing waterfall all water, or just the Level 2 water?

Thanks,
--Scott
Hey Scott,

It's all of the water at the top of the map (the pool and streams). It is not the water to the bottom at the bottom or lower right side of the map.

Thanks!
Chris
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:16 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

THE NEW YORK GANG OF FOUR PLAYS SHADOW CAVERN!

We had three players, and among us just had enough BFTU sets ( to build the whole thing at once. The Good Guys won, after several close moments where Sherman Davies and I thought Taeblewalker as the evil Player One had us! Here are the armies we used, in the room order we played. That choice you get of direction after Room 1 certainly allows a good second play where you can make the other decision!

The Cooperative Rules worked fine. We'd been playing a draft of them previously, but it was great to get the completed ones. As one of the Good Guys, choosing how to trade Order Markers with my partner added a fun aspect to the game, although the two of us usually agreed how to handle it. We mostly traded to make things more equal between us, and only occasionally discussed a specific figure getting a specific marker. Congrats to Chris Dupuis, Our Guru!

The Brave Reconaisance Force (Good Guys)

(Some postgame comments)

Force A (Sherman Davies):

Sonlen: "Who else you gonna call? I was swooping and striking like crazy; but the healing didn't go so well. Now Valkryl has his own wellspring. We've had our eye on Vydar since way back when Wellsprings were first discovered. He gets Heroscape closure by joining the Evil Team of Utgar and Valkril at the very end of the Official Era (we're now in The Fanscape Era). Curse you for your sudden but inevitable betrayal! The most satisfying act was putting Mikka Connour down, that &?$#! (translated from the Elvish)."

Raelin: "Thanks to my pal Rhogar for all the healing. Its a good thing his power is for all friendly figures, unlike my own aura. Did you know its only the first room where you can't fly?"

Darrak Ambershard: "I did what I do best--grab glyphs. We got most of them, from Potion of Healing, which Rhogar needed, to Revenant's Tome. Short people do well in Dungeon terrain, but those Drow are a pain."

Force B: (Chas)

Tandros Kreel: When you're out in front, you see most of the action! In that room with all the wolves, we thought we were in serious trouble! How do you like my new wolf cloak? AWOOO!

Rhogar Dragonspur: It gets a little demoralizing when the bad guys are always grunting 'Get The Dragonborn!' They were too clever to let me get a shot at more than one figure at a time, but my breath is a natural counter to those Drow.

Johnny 'Shotgun' Sullivan: "Well, me boyos, there I was, stalking that Drow Priestess high up on her rock rise. I thought I'd get her good, but she drilled me instead. And me coming up from the rear, without a wound on me! She just kept hitting with that magic of hers, over and over again. Thank the Lord for Second Wind. And Third Wind. And Fourth Wind. Whew!

Evil Armies

(No comments, because they're dead.)

Room 1: Entrance (410 Points, made up in other rooms)
*Shurrak, 2 Ogre Pulverisers, Goblin Cutters

Room 4: Ogre Warhulk, Feral Troll, 3 Goblin Cutters (1*)

Room 3: *Mind Flayer Mastermind, Estivara, 3 Deepwyrmn Drow

Room 2: *Werewolf Lord, 3 Wolves of Badru

Room 1: Exit
*Mikka Connour, *Iron Golem, Wrewolf Lord, Goblin Cutters

* = Required

We're looking forward to doing it again, perhaps choosing the other direction to advance in, and also with Superheros! And we'll be rotating the Player 1 role.

Next Month: Generalscape!

Last edited by chas; August 31st, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:36 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Cool battle report, thanks!
Old August 31st, 2012, 12:08 AM
Off by a little. Plus a typo.

iceman3317 knows what's in an order marker iceman3317 knows what's in an order marker

Thanks Guru. Sadly it is not letting me download the file. I can see the maps and stuff on Gary's Site though. I hope I get some time to play soon. I knew Vydar would betray the others sooner or later.

Valhalla's Darkest Hour: Custom Wave 3 and March of Shadows: Custom Large Expansion 1 coming soon.
Old August 31st, 2012, 02:55 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

In the game at Chas', there were some real nail-biting moments, and I almost took them out in the werewolf room. But I'm glad the good guys won (mostly).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News