Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old October 13th, 2022, 07:31 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
AOA: Playing The New Factions

Age of Annihilation: Playing The New Factions

Since we've only seen one of the new cards so far, its too early to discuss specific tactics. But Our Designer Craig Van Ness actually discussed in specific or in general one figure from each of the new factions during the Hasbro PulseCon Day Two Panel Discussion with Patrick "Intergalactic Patrick" (Hasbro Promotions) Chris "Encarmine" (Hasbro Design & Development), and Chaz Marler (Watch It Played videos; I like that guy's name). CVN also made a few comments about another figure, and even the new Wall terrain.

This discussion is still available on youtube here:

I've just reviewed it again to put together what he said at different moments, along with anything else I found relevant. There are also some bits we can figure out from the general faction descriptions on the Haslab offering page, and some of the notes/sketches made available separately on Discord, and now on this site and BGG.

So let's take a look at what The Man had to say by faction, and other things we can speculate about. Although presented separately, remember also when thinking about playing a faction as such, that each will also have a Valkyrie or two, a Stretch Goal SOM Hero, and for two of them, a Haslab Exclusive added to their ranks. Playing strictly by faction, one could also add a Pirate or two by species, if they are not being played separately, although theoretically they do not follow their factions as such.

Keep in mind also that while Craig revealed one power for each figure, most are very powerful unique heroes that will have more than one power on their card. Also that all cards are only in draft playtest form so far.

CRAIG SAYS: CHARACTER MECHANICS

1. Dryan Lifeborn Order

In general, although few in number, the powerful Mages of the DLO move and attack along with their Familiars. And their Mages will also synergize with the old Elf Wizards (yes, he said that)! When Rackshott (the Utgar Mage) comes adjacent to and defeats another figure, she may place a Corpse Marker on her card, which will boost her power. So this Mage will grow stronger during the game.

2. Nemesis Brood

Queen Maladrix works hand in hand with her Honor Guard. So she can place a marker on an enemy (?), and they must roll each round. On a 17+, they replace their figure with an Honor Guard figure! Bugs--Ick!

We also know that the Bug Horde unit and the regular bug squad can change back and forth into each other to some degree. They Brood also has the first ever five figure squad.

The NB will also include the Exclusive Figure Thyraxis Dragoon, which Craig names a "cavalry" type unit, as a ridden beastie. This will probably mean a large movement value.

3. Clockwork Combine

This is Craig's favorite faction. They are also the one I want to play first myself, since their basic description gives more information on how they will be played, and I find it particularly interesting.

The Gliders, a squad of four figures, come in from offboard, like the old Airborne Elite. But there is less luck involved in their entrance, as one figure comes in for each Order Marker you flip. He didn't mention it, but its been implied by designer notes that they drop from the Airship, so its location may determine where they enter on the board.

The CC has a fascinating combination of units. The fliers include the Airship, the Gliders, and the Wing Commander. In addition they have the bears (who happen to be my totem animal), a ferocious melee element of a berserker (nonbonding?) hero, a commander type hero, a melee squad, and a ranged (harpoon cannon) squad. They are probably large in size. In addition, the CC ground element is supplemented by the Burrower, who attacks from underground, like the Earth Elemental (or the Custom Worm Ashi-Dulu).

4. Ironclad Collective

The Hellforge can vacuum up defeated enemies, and heal himself of wounds from doing so. So as other self healers like the Eisenwein Vampire Clan, they will be hard to put down without a determined effort!

The IC also will have the Exclusive Figure Scavorith, which is a cyborg centipede, but not part of the Brood. However, as both factions are orange, they are allies.

5. The Dawnraider Syndicate

Arrr! These fantasy pirates are made up of multiple species molded in the different colors of their (former) Archkyrie Generals, but work together. So we have old types like Humans, Marro, Orcs, Gorrilanators, Dwarves, etc. composing their army. Their heroes are "Captains," and so probably bond a lot with their squads.

Craig notes that Fia Bonny, as a "Master of Disguise," can roll a 13+ on the D20 to ignore any attack!

The first revealed card we've just gotten is from this faction, and so we'll discuss him in more detail below, as they have already started to do on BGG.

Sergeant Drake 3.0

As the Main Hero who first put the "Hero" in Heroscape, this is Craig's favorite individual figure. Craig mentions that with a jet pack, he can now "fly with the Kyrie." I expected him to have a more limited ability than full Flying, but we'll have to see. I think of it more as a jump jet, having seen a real one actually fly for a short hop at the old World's Fair here in NYC as a teen back in the Sixties!

CVN also notes that Drake's Grapple Gun has now been modified to grab enemies and pull them close so he can use his sword on them, similar to the Chain Grab ability of the Drow Chainfighter. Drake is also the first of the Stretch Goals, and we may actually reach him during the campaign!

Terrain: The New Walls

Mr. Van Ness mentioned that the new type can function as Illusory Walls, where they block Line of Sight but do not impair movement. This was verified by designer notes as scenario rules, to be used only occasionally.

Is there anything else you can think of that will actually affect game play we've learned so far? Do you have an comments or speculation on this information?

Last edited by chas; October 13th, 2022 at 07:39 PM.
Old October 13th, 2022, 08:43 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: AOA: Playing The New Factions

The First Card Reveal:

I haven't been able to import the card from BGG, but here's a link to the discussion there:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/295...rst-look-stats

Our first card is from the Dawnraider Syndicate faction:

KILLIAN VANE III

(Jandar)

Human, Unique Hero, Pirate, Fearless, Medium 5

Life: 5
Move: 5
Range: 4 (1)*
Attack: 5 (4)*
Defense: 2

Blunderbuss Special Attack Range 4 Attack 3

Choose a figure to attack. Any figure adjacent to the chosen figure is also affected by Blunderbuss Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Killian Vane cannot be affected by his own Blunderbuss Special Attack.

* Note that Craig has now posted these two updated values downthread. So I leave them as is so the first few comments will make sense, but let's now discuss the new ones.

A blunderbuss was the crude shotgun of an earlier era, distinguished by its bell shaped muzzle end. I never heard of a blunderbuss pistol like he seems to be carrying, but hey, its fantasy. (Later on, during the American Civil War, there was such a thing called a LeMatt pistol, which was carried by famed Confederate cavalry commander Jeb Stuart, among others. You can see them in museums today. They had an extra barrel to release a bunch of pellets at short range).

I'm glad to see KV's range is lower than later shotguns we have for Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan and James Murphy, who have an appropriately greater Range of 7 with theirs.

Here we have a nasty squad killer, although with a very weak defense. His hit zone silhouette is mono colored, so it appears that any part of him is a hit zone, but this is just a draft.

Is he a member of the Dawnraider Syndicate's "Council of Captains?" He's not noted as a Captain, but perhaps all Unique Heroes in that faction are considered to be. Either only some of them synergize with their squads, or there will be a generic DS Faction Captains rule in the new rulebook, since an early designer's note hinted at synergy between them.

The Marro Pirate Unique Hero is noted as "First Officer" as part of his name, which is not quite a Captain. Technically he should be called a First Mate old in naval parlance, but again, these may be space pirates, so who knows.

What do you think of him?

Last edited by chas; October 13th, 2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old October 13th, 2022, 09:29 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth

I don't want to come off as negative or nit picky, but so often a sculpt's features play into the design. Agent Carr is an excellent example.

KV3 has base range and a special attack that is ranged. The guy is carrying a large cleaver, machete style melee weapon. The design doesn't really convey Range guy with a large melee weapon.

Murphy has a whip and a sawed off shut gun, his design reflects that. Guilty is wielding 2 pistols, his design reflects that, etc....

I would prefer the design to sort of convey the flavor of his sculpt. It is not completely off the mark but it isn't a match.

There i go...bitchin again.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by Rÿchean; October 13th, 2022 at 09:30 AM. Reason: i cant be the only one thinking this?
Old October 13th, 2022, 09:38 AM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I really like this guy. You get a strong sense how he’ll play from his stats alone, a 5 attack with 4 range really makes him stand out. If he doesn’t have any synergy, it seems like he’ll make a fantastic clean up hero, even if 80 points is a bit expensive for that role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿchean View Post
KV3 has base range and a special attack that is ranged. The guy is carrying a large cleaver, machete style melee weapon. The design doesn't really convey Range guy with a large melee weapon.
I agree that it feels a bit off, it seems like his shotgun attack is communicated through the stats, but then it also exists as a special attack. I think even a quick change to the ability name, like “Overloaded Blunderbuss” would make it clear why the special attack is somehow different from his normal attack. Honestly, I don’t think he even needs an ability, since his stats are so interesting. It’d be kinda neat to see a unit that has unique gameplay from stats alone.
Old October 13th, 2022, 09:41 AM

His pirate cutlass is in the secondary down position, but he's mainly aiming his gun, so I have no problem with the sculpt myself.
Old October 13th, 2022, 09:44 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth

I am ok with it just wasn't what I was expecting based on viewing the figure.

As he is, he is.....fine. He seems like he will exist in his own design space given the large attack and short range..

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by Rÿchean; October 13th, 2022 at 09:52 AM. Reason: ......keep it positive, Ry...positive
Old October 13th, 2022, 09:56 AM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I agree with you Ry, the card and mini don't match all that well. Killian's Card was revealed to give us card layout options to vote for. I doubt that that's the full and final design for that mini.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old October 13th, 2022, 10:15 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

On the Discord, somebody proposed to make a “book” for this design as it is described on the card presented in the poll addressing card shape. I urged him not to do so. I can’t really say more on this point at this time.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 13th, 2022, 10:39 AM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

We are updating the poll stats. Should be up soon. Here is the current card for Killian-
(MASTER GAME SIDE)
(NAME) KILLIAN VANE III
(GENERAL) JANDAR
(SPECIES) HUMAN
(UNIQUENESS) UNIQUE HERO
(CLASS) PIRATE
(PERSONALITY) FEARLESS
(SIZE/HEIGHT) MEDIUM 5

LIFE 5
MOVE 5
RANGE 1
ATTACK 4
DEFENSE 2
POINTS 80

BLUNDERBUSS SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 4. Attack 3.
Choose a figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by Blunderbuss Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Killian Vane cannot be affected by his own Blunderbuss Special Attack.

(BASIC GAME SIDE)
(NAME) KILLIAN VANE III
MOVE 5
RANGE 4
ATTACK 5
DEFENSE 6
(PLANET) EARTH
AGE OF ANNIHILATION
Old October 13th, 2022, 10:42 AM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ah okay, that slots right into the sculpt much smoother. I’ll admit that I really liked the high attack low range version, but this makes more sense. Thank you for the update!
Old October 13th, 2022, 10:48 AM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Fully agreed, this fits much better!

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old October 13th, 2022, 10:50 AM

Thanks, Craig. Let me know if I got anything wrong in the first post on your comments at PulseCon Day 2.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion