Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old August 9th, 2022, 11:24 AM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker
Re: The minis will not be a sea of unpainted gray

With how this is phrased, I'm going to assume the new minis will be very similar to the minis included with the MtG "Duel of the Planeswalkers" sets. They were all cast in a base color (which more or less match the Heroscape colors) with the "Hero" units being fully painted. If that's the case, minis would need to be primed before they are painted.

For anyone worrying about paint cost, I'd suggest buying your paints at a craft store or even at Walmart. You can grab a great amount of base acrylic paint colors for a few dollars. Considering "official" miniature paints sometimes cost $10 or more dollars for a single pot, it's a good way to build up your collection. I would say buying "official" metallic colors is a good investment though, as getting weapons and armor to have a certain shine is often important.

As we get closer to release I might whip up a painting tutorial, especially if the new minis are anything like the MtG ones. Over the years I've painted up several of my extra Heroscape minis too, mostly for various tabletop games, and they've always been pretty easy to paint and "took the paint" well. I'll drop an example later on.
Old August 9th, 2022, 02:26 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Any chance they will sell new components only in a separate pack, especially the minis but also terrain etc., for us old folks who still have all their old terrain and other stuff? That's really the big question for me on the whole project so far.

As for painting, a number of us have been wondering if the new army cards will show "official" paint schemes for the mins for us to follow.

I understand that the marketing of Heroquest is the model, but I'm not taking that literally, but more for the communication aspect. (I owned HQ back when it came out--wish I'd kept the minis)!

I'm definitely interested in being able to by packs of certain components; if I want just terrain because I want to paint it for a custom project then I don't want to have to by figures and dice with it as well. Perhaps since we can order online and Hasbro won't have to worry about packaging and in store shelf space, this could be possible
Old August 10th, 2022, 08:56 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvaris View Post
I would say buying "official" metallic colors is a good investment though, as getting weapons and armor to have a certain shine is often important.
Even this can be done cheaper. A lot of craft stores have metallic gold, bronze and silver. Silver can be mixed with other colors - I did my AotP Elves in metallic green - just silver and green. And you pretty much just buy one tube for forever, because you really don't use much at all.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old August 10th, 2022, 04:35 PM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvaris View Post
I would say buying "official" metallic colors is a good investment though, as getting weapons and armor to have a certain shine is often important.
Even this can be done cheaper. A lot of craft stores have metallic gold, bronze and silver. Silver can be mixed with other colors - I did my AotP Elves in metallic green - just silver and green. And you pretty much just buy one tube for forever, because you really don't use much at all.

Look, I will be buried with my pot of "Dwarven Bronze" that I spent $13.50 on, but you're right craft store metallics work just as well. I bought my base gold and silver from a Michael's, and they have served me very well indeed. In the end it really depends on the "need" and how much you intend to use the color. I'd never spend Game's Workshop prices for a base set of colors since they'll be used up so fast. Metallics are usually accent pieces, so I'm fine buying an expensive paint and slowly using it over years.
Old August 10th, 2022, 06:31 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Been a loooong time since I've posted. One thing I loved about Heroscape was the prepainted minis. Luckily though, in recent years, I've dabbled in Kill Team, Battletech and Gaslands. So, I have been learning to paint and have everything I need. Even recently was gifted an airbrush. So bring on the colored plastic.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old August 10th, 2022, 09:15 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraine69 View Post
Been a loooong time since I've posted. One thing I loved about Heroscape was the prepainted minis. Luckily though, in recent years, I've dabbled in Kill Team, Battletech and Gaslands. So, I have been learning to paint and have everything I need. Even recently was gifted an airbrush. So bring on the colored plastic.
Wow, there is a name I haven’t seen in a long time. Welcome back, one time master of the Question Dump!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 10th, 2022, 09:27 PM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hm... What if each unique squad/hero has its own unique color of plastic? This would help differentiate units in a way other than just sculpts. Perhaps units have foregone the Valkyrie and formed their own separate factions.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old August 12th, 2022, 10:57 PM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

My sister is an artist: Just wondering how much people would be willing to pay for a professional paint job on their Heroscape 2.0 figures? And would it be ok for her to advertise her painted miniatures here?

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old August 12th, 2022, 11:01 PM

Mud Turkey 13 is surprisingly tart

Contrast paints from Games Workshop definitely make painting go faster. Army Painter just released their speed paint, but I have not tried it yet.
Old August 13th, 2022, 02:32 AM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
My sister is an artist: Just wondering how much people would be willing to pay for a professional paint job on their Heroscape 2.0 figures? And would it be ok for her to advertise her painted miniatures here?
I would imagine theres no issue with putting it in the sales section at the very least.

I am sure there will be quite a few interested- Before I painted, I had commissioned someone off these forums to paint my first unpainted board game so it certainly isn't unheard of.
Old August 17th, 2022, 04:46 PM

KeeperOfPeace is surprisingly tart

I might end up on being an outsider, but I am not too bothered that they won't come painted. My first concern will be the price of the models and the terrain/ hexes. From there I am content painting since Heroscape doesn't have huuuuge forces like some games do. Granted, I am much more comfortable as a painter and I know not everyone is.

Old August 17th, 2022, 04:59 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

To be perfectly blunt, I can paint but...Heroscape, at least for me, was all about the amazing aesthetics and lack of work involved before setting up a map and playing the game.

Even Heroquest is a pain in the butt because I'm still painting some figures and using proxies (actually a lot of Heroscape figures) to play.

So I totally get that some are upset or not as enthused as others about the lack of paint effort by Hasbro. I also understand the reasoning behind the one tone figures but that doesn't make it wonderful.

At least the game is coming back.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; August 17th, 2022 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Even the best is perfect.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion