Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old July 23rd, 2019, 10:32 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

The pirate meeples, Q, are large and clearly pirates. The mates are little pirate had meeples. And the round marker is a pirate ship meeple.

If you're interested in that sort of thing.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 23rd, 2019, 10:35 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
The pirate meeples, Q, are large and clearly pirates. The mates are little pirate had meeples. And the round marker is a pirate ship meeple.

If you're interested in that sort of thing.
I'm more interested in how the game conveys the theme past the shapes of the tokens. We played Waterdeep (with the expansion) recently and my friend had replaced the cubes with adventurer meeples but the only theme in the game that came across to me were the quest cards. How does Oath of the Brotherhood compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 23rd, 2019, 10:44 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The theme is more developed than in LoW, which I also love. My "fanboy" title comes from that game.

But in Oath of the Brotherhood, when you get a resource token, you immediately put it into play and it *does* something for you. Before you spend it. So, you get an "equipment" token like you might get a black rogue cube in LoW. But while you have the equipment token, you put it on your player board and choose what piece of equipment it is. A sword, a pistol, a sextant, or a spyglass. And each of those gives you an advantage of some type. If you then get more equipment, you can use the other things, but when you fill a mission with equipment tokens, you will spend some or all of those things to get the victory points on the card.

One of the objections to LoW is that the cubes don't really do anything. Fighters, wizards, whatever; even with your adventurer meeples, they just sit there. They don't fight, they don't cast spells. In Oath of the Brotherhood, your equipment is *equipment*, and your allies actually *do things*, and so on.

There's also a very clever mechanism for adding buildings to the board. Unlike in LoW, the new-building cards have art on them that perfectly matches the player board. So when you add the "Arena" building, you will find the actual arena on the player board, that perfectly matches the card, and use the card to cover that section on the board. There aren't even markings on the board that show where the cards go; you just match the art to art. So it's a bit more immersive in that way, too.

It does a better job of theme delivery than LoW.

= =
Old July 23rd, 2019, 10:57 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Very cool! Looks like one to buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 23rd, 2019, 02:12 PM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumovanis View Post
Nemesis. I backed the kickstarter and got my copy back in January. Anyone who has not played that game seriously needs to find someone with a copy and give it a shot. Some pics of a couple random games we've had;

Spoiler Alert!
Literally, just heard of this game last night. Glad to hear it lives up to the hype. "Aliens: the Boardgame without the IP" is what Tom Vasel called it.

Semi-Retired C3G Hero
(and first Official Member of the C3G Target Audience!)

The correct way to add C3G playtests to posts.
My favorite day EVER on heroscapers.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.
RIP George Perez
Old July 25th, 2019, 10:09 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumovanis View Post
Nemesis. I backed the kickstarter and got my copy back in January. Anyone who has not played that game seriously needs to find someone with a copy and give it a shot. Some pics of a couple random games we've had;

Spoiler Alert!
Literally, just heard of this game last night. Glad to hear it lives up to the hype. "Aliens: the Boardgame without the IP" is what Tom Vasel called it.
Nemesis became a quick favorite for my group after we played.

Spoiler Alert!

The game is pretty awesome!
Old July 27th, 2019, 05:50 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Pardon me while I interrupt this thread with a very important question that is not a board game I played!

I apologize for the interruption.

Is anyone familiar with Green Ronin's AGE RPG system? I'd like to try to get into a session of The Expanse RPG at GenCon, and I am curious for thoughts on the system so I know what I'd be getting myself into.

There's a good chance I'll get shut out anyway. I figure it's a new game and they didn't post many sessions. But who knows? Maybe.

Thanks!

= =
Old July 27th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Pardon me while I interrupt this thread with a very important question that is not a board game I played!

I apologize for the interruption.

Is anyone familiar with Green Ronin's AGE RPG system? I'd like to try to get into a session of The Expanse RPG at GenCon, and I am curious for thoughts on the system so I know what I'd be getting myself into.

There's a good chance I'll get shut out anyway. I figure it's a new game and they didn't post many sessions. But who knows? Maybe.

Thanks!
I only played in a couple of one-shot sessions (Dragon Age and Fantasy Age) ... it was fun. It was very similar to Dungeons and Dragons except that you roll 3d6 (iirc) instead of 1d20 to beat the DC. The most memorable/unique element of the ruleset was the stunt system ... as i recall, when you roll doubles, you can spend stunt points equal to the number that you doubled up to perform special heroic actions.

It is definitely worth a play and if you have a great GM who knows how to incorporate those stunts into the game's/character's narrative to drive the plot, players should have a blast.
Old July 27th, 2019, 06:44 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Ok. It’s a 3d6 system? Leave my other dice in the bag but have 3 of the cubes? Got it.

Thanks!

= =
Old July 27th, 2019, 08:59 PM
Promotable Material

Quote:
Ok. It’s a 3d6 system? Leave my other dice in the bag but have 3 of the cubes? Got it.

Thanks!
Yes. Three cubes should do everything you need. I remembered one other thing tho ...

... Bring two cubes of one color and one cube of another (The third die acts as a Stunt Die, which obviously determines your stunts).
Old July 27th, 2019, 09:01 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Got it! Now I just need to get in a game. Thanks!

= =
Old July 27th, 2019, 09:45 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Tiny Towns and Sorcerer.
A bit late to reply, but what did you think of Sorcerer @Taeblewalker ? I loved it but have been struggling to get it (or anything else) to the table for a while now.

---

Not a board game, per se, but the 2nd edition of Pathfinder (the roleplaying game) comes out on August 1st at GenCon and I got my rulebooks already! I am really excited about this one. I loved a lot of Pathfinder and it really feels like they have renovated all the sharp edges away.

---

On the note of Gloomhaven, I don't see the draw--if I wanted to spend hours per session playing a role playing game I would play, well, a role playing game. I might try the digital version someday (in the next ten years or so).

However, I would love to hear if anyone knows of some legacy games, esp. with RPG type elements, that fall around the 1-hourish-or-less mark.

The only one I know of right now is a game my friend told me about on Kickstarter called

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games