Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old September 29th, 2019, 03:07 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] HONORED SOUL-GUIDES (Lantern Geists) - Design

I like idea 1. Even a super neutered version of Last Will (skip the Geist's turn, negate the hero's card, etc.) Seems really cool and Scapey to me

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 29th, 2019, 03:38 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

If we can make it work, it’ll be good to keep Last Will.

Here’s what I think could work. make it so that you skip a turn > destroy a Guide > return any unique hero for one turn (no restrictions [besides maybe size]) on the space that guide occupied > take a full, non-negated turn with that hero > destroy that hero.

That gives a hard cap of twice per game, (less if your opponent can destroy them) which allows the heroes to come back at full force, simplifies (cuts out entirely) the putting-figures-on-cards mechanic, and eliminates any turn-stacking concerns.
Old September 30th, 2019, 03:57 AM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

LAST WILL
After revealing an Order Marker on the HSG, and instead of taking a turn with them, you may choose a small or medium Unique Hero that has been previously destroyed. Destroy an HSG and place the chosen hero on the space that HSG occupied. Take a turn with that Hero, and at the end of that hero’s turn, destroy it.

Notably this version would allow you to take turns with an opponent’s destroyed hero, which feels fun and cheeky to me.
Old October 1st, 2019, 08:40 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

That does simplify things and somewhat helps with the "endgame" issue since you have to position them at some point or the revenant hero's turn will be useless way in the back.

Not sure how I feel about letting them use enemy heroes.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 1st, 2019, 09:10 PM

That's an easy thing to switch, to be honest.
Old October 2nd, 2019, 12:38 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Cleaning up some wording:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King
LAST WILL
After revealing an Order Marker on this Army Card, instead of taking a turn with the Honored Soul-Guides, you may choose a previously destroyed small or medium Unique Hero you control. Destroy an Honored Soul-Guide that you control and place the chosen hero on the space that Soul-Guide occupied. Remove all wound markers from that Army Card, immediately take a turn with that hero, and then destroy that hero.
I find it tough to imagine us getting Last Will much simpler than this if we're keeping the revival mechanic. I still think this is pushing the envelope, but it's certainly much better without the aura and placing figures on cards at least.

On a completely unrelated note, it bothers me slightly that the name of this thread is completely capitalized (along with several other Books in progress).
Old October 2nd, 2019, 01:13 AM

Pushign the envelope in terms of complexity?
Old October 2nd, 2019, 09:57 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I'm just going to put this out there since you're looking at a redesign anyway.

What you have (or had, originally) are creepy-looking undead things that enslave people and force them to keep fighting. Or at least that's how they'll appear on the battlefield. I did not think that when I read through them, because right away I saw they followed Jandar, and Jandar = good. That, along with the unit and power name, led me to understand what you were going for.

But the goal of this project, at least partially, is to make something accessible to new players. New players won't have the context of Jandar = good. They'll see creepy undead things, and a general who recruits creepy undead things.

I think the soul-guides concept is really neat and wonderfully outside-the-box, but that runs contrary to the goals of the project. Cool, but wrong for the target market.
Old October 2nd, 2019, 10:06 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I can see them looking creepy, but our goal was for them to portray bringing heroes back for one last swing. I see a kind of vague connection to the Dead souls that came to help Aragorn in the battle of the Pelennor fields. A better parallel would probably be the Heroes of the Horn from the Wheel of Time series. These "Soul Guides" bring heroes back for one last valiant aid.

--
--
--

--
Old October 2nd, 2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Cleaning up some wording:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King
LAST WILL
After revealing an Order Marker on this Army Card, instead of taking a turn with the Honored Soul-Guides, you may choose a previously destroyed small or medium Unique Hero you control. Destroy an Honored Soul-Guide that you control and place the chosen hero on the space that Soul-Guide occupied. Remove all wound markers from that Army Card, immediately take a turn with that hero, and then destroy that hero.
I find it tough to imagine us getting Last Will much simpler than this if we're keeping the revival mechanic. I still think this is pushing the envelope, but it's certainly much better without the aura and placing figures on cards at least.

On a completely unrelated note, it bothers me slightly that the name of this thread is completely capitalized (along with several other Books in progress).
I like this version of Last Will. I'm still okay with Negating the hero's powers if it cleans up the editing corner cases.

--
--
--

--
Old October 2nd, 2019, 11:26 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Pushign the envelope in terms of complexity?
Yes. Part of this is from the inherent complexity in reviving a figure (removing all wounds and placing them, taking a non-negated turn (or, frustratingly, the act of negating the figure also complicates the card despite simplifying the rules), destroying them afterward, etc.) and part stems from the murkier rules interactions such as reviving Viking Spirits to apply Finn to two different cards simultaneously (up to 3 if you revive him twice). I love this design, but I don't think it's well-suited to a Master Set because it comes with a lot of baggage and likely R&Cs.
Old October 2nd, 2019, 11:05 PM

Wait....why does reviving Finn let you give his bonus multiple times?

I also don't think negating the card will be required.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs