Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old March 17th, 2024, 11:32 AM

AStickInTheMud is surprisingly tart
AStickInTheMud's Map Thread

Hello All,

With new Heroscape coming out soon, I figured I might as well throw my hat in the ring as a cartographer as well.

For now, I have one map to share, with more being tinkered on.
I present to you: Frigid Cobble, a 1v1 map featuring a bridge over a frozen river.

Frigid Cobble
Uses 1xROTV, 1xTT, 1xRTTF

Special Rules: Heavy Snow and Slippery Ice
Glyphs of Brandar: As long as at least one glyph of brandar is occupied, snow and ice tiles are treated as road tiles and no longer enact movement penalties.

My philosophy for this map was to try and create a 1v1 map with a bit more height than normal tournament maps. The central bridge overpass is very appealing as high ground, but getting there is a slog. The turn-1-accessible glyph of brandar for both players allows the transforming of the movement penalty terrain to movement bonus terrain. Do you grab the glyph on the left and potentially let you opponent dispatch their frontline faster, or do you send your forces right to contest their own glyph, and wait until the opportune moment to rush forward?

Any feedback and constructive criticism is welcome and appreciated.
Old March 17th, 2024, 06:08 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: AStickInTheMud's Map Thread

Why the level-0 1-hex glacier disrupting the potential snow/ice/road flow a couple spaces outside the left side of each start zone, and the isolated level-2 ice hex on the sand on each side? I feel like they'd be better swapped, where the glacier would be a better LoS blocker and the ice would make the glyph a more tempting opening round move.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old March 17th, 2024, 07:13 PM

AStickInTheMud is surprisingly tart

You know, those were actually some of the last thing I was tinkering with on the map (and that 1hex glacier is actually on level 1). My intentions were that the glaciers act as LOS bockers for ranged figures from the bridge/underbridge, while the ice prevents early control of both glyphs by one side winning initiative, similar to how the water is intended to act. By not having and LOS blockers from the bridge to the more open right side deployment, it more incentivizes a convergence of the fight into the center once a glyph is claimed.

I'm not actually sure if these placements actually do what I intended, but that was my thought process at least. I also fiddled with the idea of more LOS blockers, by using the unused glaciers, tree, and ROTV walls, but I think it cluttered the board too much.

Your feedback is appreciated, though. I'm not the best map maker, but i like to make maps that look interesting, at the very least. Testing and tweaking can come after.
Old March 17th, 2024, 09:39 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Welcome! Always excited to see new mapmakers joining the fray.

I agree with Killometer here, it'd be nice if those road and snow tiles connected. I haven't spent much time looking at the map, but considering you're going for something completely unique it's difficult to compare it to standard tournament maps. My gut reaction says the middle is too chokey, as there are a lot of water tiles making single hex long lanes. Also, I feel like the road/snow/ice on the edges could be brought in and thus become more useful coming out the left side of the start zone.

I like seeing people try out new and interesting rules, looking forward to whatever else you have in store for us!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios