Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old November 26th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Just got back from a visit with family, and I was able to introduce them to several games that don't end in -opoly. I brought a few from my collection, and over the course of the week we ended up playing Survive: Escape from Atlantis 4 times, Forbidden Island 2 or 3 times, and Zombie Dice about 5 times. I even had a couple of family members inquire about a couple of the other games I brought, so we played Dominion once, and Elder Sign twice. It was great to play a variety of games with them, and they were all pleasantly surprised to find out about some different games. All in all, it was a fun and successful visit.
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:22 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I was at Five Below this weekend (it's like a dollar store except everything is $5 or less) and they had a whole bunch of Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game. These were the Moria starter decks for just $1! I had never heard of the game but I looked it up on BGG (love my smart phone) and saw that it was rated a 6.5 so I bought two each of the Gimli and Gandalf starter decks. Haven't had a chance to play, but even if all I do is look at the cards and shuffle them they are worth $1 per deck!

Played a couple games of Conflict of Heroes solo, and some Dominion with my wife.
Old November 27th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Did some playtesting for C3G this morning and got a game of Carcassonne in with my daughters this afternoon. We really love this game and I'm glad I got it as it's something that keeps their interest and we all have fun with it.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:21 PM

Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Greetings,

Got my wife to play one game of Food Fight tonight. It was one of the games I picked up from the sale on Friday. I tried reading up and getting the rules down as best I could so we could play relatively smoothly. I convinced her to play a game because I'd like to play with the boys and told her we should test it out....

I enjoyed it. We played the "boot camp" version in which you do not draft your cards you are just dealt 9. Personally I kind of like the boot camp because it will make the game go by much, much quicker. Trying to play a 4 player game and having to draft 9 cards every single 'day' will take forever.

I also think it will benefit from more people playing. 2 meant we only went up against each other like 3 times and ended up fighting the dog for the meal the rest of the time.

I love the theme. They did an excellent job with it. Cards are clever with text and graphics.

I ended up winning the game. It was enjoyable for me, I think she'll have more fun when the boys are playing.

- Raider30
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played some Galaxy Trucker with the family this weekend and my game.

Also finished the Zombie Commandos
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:29 AM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Played a few games yesterday...

1x Eminent Domain
I decided to focus on warfare and research for this game while my fiance focused on colonizing and producing resources for trade. I learned how beneficial research cards can be. I won 41 to 31.

1x Warhammer: Invasion
Random draw on races, my fiance had the dwarves and I the high elves. Luckily my deck had many units who dealt indirect damage on top of attacking and defending. It balanced the match and allowed me to win.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:52 AM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

Back in Minnesota for the week and we got a ton of gaming in.

Tuesday:

Merchants and Marauders: This was my first time playing this and I won the game with my merchant vessel in a gold tie-breaker against Hoju511 and Trav11111 who were both taking turns as evil pirates. Crime doesn't pay. Hawking sugar, now that pays!

Bohnanza x2: I was third in one game and second in the other. My piles were almost too clean and I simply wasn't cashing in coins quickly enough.

Fury of Dracula: Fat_Rabbit and I were able to track down the hideous count (Trav11111) for the victory. Mina drove the final stake home.

Summoner Wars: We were only half way through this game but it was obvious the Fallen Kingdom/Night Dwarves were getting swarmed by the wall-breeding swamp and tundra orcs.

Friday:

Monsterpocalypse x4: Tons of Monpoc drew plenty of interest at Fantasy Flight Games from those in the store doing their shopping. Hoju511 had my number taking 2 of the 3 complete games we played. We called the 4th as a draw to open up the table for others who had come to join us.

Quarriors x2: My first games with the new expansion. Love the idea of the expansion but it seems very much like the promo cards in that if all the cards that make use of the new abilities are not on the table, you don't notice the new abilities.

Fury of Dracula x2: I played the count in both a 5 and 4 player game. The 5-player game featured 2 people who had never played before and the count scored 6 points (2 days, 2 vampires) without having to battle. The second game the new hunters caught on quick and the count was able to defeat Van Helsing for the win with only 2 health left.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:28 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post

I had played Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers a couple weeks ago and that was my first Carcassonne experience. I bought the 10th Anniversary original game yesterday and played it for the first time this morning. I know, only 10 years after it came out right? I'm late to the party on a lot of games.
I know how you feel, Hahma, . . .we got into Carcassonne at the very begininning and added every expansion (except the last one) as soon as they came out. We absolutely LOVE Carcassonne, but with ALL the exp.'s it can take up to three hours to finish (almost as bad as RISK or Monopoly, just not as monotonous). It was Settlers Of Catan, that we only picked up last Christmas. It has become our favorite this year, even though we are still playing with the basic starter and 5-6 Player Exp. At $40 + $20 per exp. I'm reluctant to add them to my collection.

This whole long (4 day) holiday weekend, I only got in one more session of Stone Age and my daughter-in-law beat me by over 30 points. Even my wife finally picked up on power of the Technology Cards for the first time and beat me by ONE point. Somehow near the beginning of the game I ended up with 8x Meeples, NO Tools, NO Huts, and still at #1 on the Agriculture scale... then I go and roll all ones and twos THREE times in a row when I was Hunting and Gathering food. The rest of the game I taking risks to try to catch up to everyone else.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old November 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt View Post

1x Eminent Domain
I decided to focus on warfare and research for this game while my fiance focused on colonizing and producing resources for trade. I learned how beneficial research cards can be. I won 41 to 31.

Random draw on races, my fiance had the dwarves and I the high elves. Luckily my deck had many units who dealt indirect damage on top of attacking and defending. It balanced the match and allowed me to win.
Eminent Domain is high on my Christmas list. Is it as good as I'm hearing? And different enough from RftG to not be too redundant?
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation

Warmachine/Hordes x4

3 games on Saturday, one on Sunday. One was a quick demo-type game with a relatively new player who fielded only 15 points of Khadar goodness against my Cygnar. Used the new Wrath caster Constance. Taught him not to bunch people up too close when you don't have to. He grouped his snipers together too close, ended up losing them all to one AOE spell attack. Ouch.

Other two Sat games against more experienced players. Played a larger version of the same Cygnar list against his much larger, more experienced Khador. Much tougher to deal with here, and it was a close game. A moment where his Caster was undefended allowed to sneak a win with a hail of gunfire; surely would have lost if it had not worked. Last one was against a Retribution player. Tough matchup for him as I brought in Circle Orboros with Morvanna, who is great anti-infantry, and he had lots of infantry...so, yeah. Druids got good rolls and reeled his caster to within teleportation range of my Shifting Stones, who teleported a giant werewolf right next to her. Ouch again.

Sunday game was my Circle vs. Blindwater Congregation. My opponent got frustrated with some pretty bad damage rolls on his part, plus I was rolling generally well. Baldur's armored constructs ended up weathering the Gatorman storm and won slowly through attrition.
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:59 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt View Post

1x Eminent Domain

Eminent Domain is high on my Christmas list. Is it as good as I'm hearing? And different enough from RftG to not be too redundant?
I think its a good solid game... It's simple, but also strategic (if that makes sense). I've never played Race for the Galaxy, so it is difficult for me to make the comparison. I will say though, each time my fiance and I played, we've approached the game differently in terms of building our empires with roles and how we played our decks. For instance, my first game I mostly focused on surveying planets and colonizing whereas my fiance dabbled a little in each role. In another game, I focused on warfare and research, which changed the feel of the game because I saw how research cards can be quite beneficial. In that game she focused on colonizing planets that could produce resources so she could quickly trade for influence (points to win). Both games I won despite differences in how we each played our roles.

There is also a certain degree of strategy involved when playing cards to impede the progress of your opponent and maximize your empire's strength. For instance, opponents can't play cards on your action phase, but they can on your role phase. However, the cards have stronger abilities during the active player's role phase. So you want to play to maximize the strength of your empire during your role phase, but also think to impede your opponent's progress because he or she can play cards, following your role. So in our most recent game, my fiance, Tina would trade resources for influence in her role phase, but only when I didn't have resources because she knew I couldn't play my trade cards without resources so she would be the one to only score influence. To counter that, I often used my research action to destroy two cards from my hand (remove from game) to thin out my deck, ensuring I would commonly receive warfare and research cards to maximize my strengths of invading planets and gaining new technology, which I knew she wasn't focusing on.

I hope this helped to give you an idea of the game without using the RftG comparison.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

1x Tribune - 4p. We had the scenario where you had to get obligatory Tribune. I got pretty lucky early on with the Vestial Virgin leader, which gave me permanent VD favor of the gods. I got lucky again and was able to hold on to the scroll/senators/patricians combo to be the first to get Tribune. After that, it was pretty easy for me to fulfill the rest of the stuff and I won handily. This was nice as usually when I play this game nothing works out for me at all.

1x Ghost Stories -3p. This game is always unpredictable. We dealt out the player cards and town cards randomly. I ended up with the green, don't roll the curse die character, which I had never played before. A lot of stuff went down in this game, but when the incarnation appeared, it was the one where the spot opposite him needs to be empty to destroy him. It turned out that it was, (it was also the only other empty spot on the board) and there was also already a player in his spot with a black token. I immediately moved there and rolled plenty of black to kill him and the game was over. We were in pretty rough shape, but just got lucky at the end. I always enjoy co-op games and this is one of my favorites.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games