Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old June 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM

insertmorecoins is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
What games are similar to Heroscape?

Hello everyone, first post here. I was drawn into Heroscape for the terrain. I enjoy the LEGO like appeal of connecting and stacking pieces to make your battlefield. The rules are okay, a bit simple for my tastes. So I was wondering if there are any other game systems or rules that could use the Heroscape terrain with it?
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:22 PM
What's Curse of Negoksa???

Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What games are similar to Heroscape?

Are you using the Advanced version, or the basic version?

Swamper is Zetacron...
in the
Garden of Horror...
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

You can play Battletech with HS terrain. Welcome!
Old June 14th, 2009, 03:05 PM

No, it's the regular version with all the powers. I'm a veteran player of Warhammer, so I'm used to rules like that. Still, it's not all bad though. I'm also looking for a modular system that could use all the miniatures I already have.
Old June 14th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I feel that the simplicity of the Heroscape rules allows you to get to the heart of the game and play it repeatedly for its own sake. (I play Heroscape for pretty much the opposite reasons- the terrain is cool, but the figures and the game associated with it are what keep me coming back).

But if the game doesn't appeal to you, you could maybe look through the Custom Units section to see if anyone has made up any Heroscape units that use figures you already own (or could). Or see if there are any other rules that might make it more like something you would enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by insertmorecoins View Post
No, it's the regular version with all the powers. I'm a veteran player of Warhammer, so I'm used to rules like that. Still, it's not all bad though. I'm also looking for a modular system that could use all the miniatures I already have.
Why not try Warhammer on the Heroscape terrain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM

Nathify is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

D and D

Things in life dissapoint you. Even heroscape...when you notice how light your wallet is.
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by insertmorecoins View Post
Why not try Warhammer on the Heroscape terrain?
I've tried that an with the warriors of chaos it worked pretty well. However there are some reasons such as length of the board that get in the way.

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:22 AM

The WFB and W40k rules don't really work well with hexes. The 40k rules might work a little better since you don't have strict formations to march in. However the ranges would be skewed though. One of the lowest ranges is 12" for a pistol, which is pretty long for hexes.
Old June 15th, 2009, 09:33 AM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

It's a complicated game, but Axis and Allies, awesome game. I love it. I have the pacific version.

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Simple enough. Try TFT - Melee Wizards. Written by Steve Jackson it's one of the best RPG/miniature combat games every produced. And best of all it's free. And it's a modular system that works great with all the miniatures you probably already have. Just what you were looking for.

http://bluwiki.com/go/Tft-melee

http://bluwiki.com/go/Tft-wizard

However, the Advanced rules are difficult to find mainly because the game went out of print 30 years ago. They do pop up on eBay now and then. The advanced rules add in a lot of spells and talents for the non magic characters.

I run a web site in honor of the game that has a whole section on using Heroscape terrain:
http://www.meleewizards.com/

Here's the section on using the Heroscape hex tiles:
http://www.meleewizards.com/rules.html

I also do work for a small independent game company that has been publishing some great, inexpensive scenarios compatible with TFT for the past 5 years. Here's their web site:
http://www.darkcitygames.com/

The rules for Dark City Games are an updated, simplified version of Melee and Wizard. They publish fantasy, sci fi and western rules so you can get stats for guns and futuristic armor. Their rules, while a bit simplistic, are free as well. It's easy enough to expand them though.

Good luck!

Last edited by Grishnakh; June 15th, 2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Wow, thanks for that. I never knew such a game system existed. You have me intrigued... so I'll have to look into it a little. I'm most interested in Sci-Fi battles, so I think I'll have to tweak the rules a bit for them to work.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion