Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old April 18th, 2009, 09:32 AM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!
Free as in Freedom games

Now, I am wondering if anybody else is a computer nerd like me and has switched to Gnu/Linux and is playing any of those games?

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:05 PM

Dragonmaster384 is surprisingly tart
Re: Free as in Freedom games

I am a computer nerd, but not like you, because I have not switched to playing Linux games.

I have seen some good ones though, and actually play one or two that have both Linux and Windows versions.... Nexuiz is one of them, ever played it?

8 RotV, 2 MTCB, 4 SotM, 2 BftU, 5 RttFF, 4 VW, 3 TT, 9 FotA, 3 TJ, 2+ of each Unique, 3+ of each Common/Uncommon
Want to count your 'scape?
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=32267
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've been using ubuntu for a little while, and I don't know what you're talking about. Couldn't find anything on google either, would you mind providing a link?

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
I've been using ubuntu for a little while, and I don't know what you're talking about. Couldn't find anything on google either, would you mind providing a link?
Sure: Nexuiz Homepage.

Nexuiz is a 3d FPS game, along the lines of Quake or Unreal Tournament. It is free and open source, so there are quite a few people making maps and addons for it.

8 RotV, 2 MTCB, 4 SotM, 2 BftU, 5 RttFF, 4 VW, 3 TT, 9 FotA, 3 TJ, 2+ of each Unique, 3+ of each Common/Uncommon
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:42 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sorry, i meant to respond to the OP. I've actually heard of Nexuiz already, just never played it.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
Sorry, i meant to respond to the OP. I've actually heard of Nexuiz already, just never played it.
Perfectly alright, I've done worse....

I think the OP is talking about Linux games in general? I don't remember what Gnu is/stands for though....

Old April 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I think the OP is talking about Linux games in general? I don't remember what Gnu is/stands for though....
"GNU's not Unix", a recursive acronym.
That's what I thought, but there is a book written by a GNU cofounder titled the same thing, so I thought it might be some type of software/games collective or something.

Old April 18th, 2009, 07:46 PM

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

gun/linux is the proper name for "linux", it's kinda a stallman thing, if you have ubuntu, the games are already in the repo's or get into synaptic package manager, you could also type sudo apt-get install bzflag (bzflag is just a example) into your terminal also , if you were to search, then look for linux games, not gnu/linux games, you can search for games such as bz flag, battle for wesnoth, and x moto, (those are my favorites) make sure they can run on windows if you have windows or vice versa for mac
if you get them
welcome to the world of free and open source

Last edited by tubafication; April 18th, 2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: forgot to add stuff
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM

I'm aware of all the stuff in the repository, was just wondering if the Free as in Freedom referred to the book Stallman wrote, or was in reference to some new games repository or game creating collective. So you're just talking about games that work or run natively in linux?

Old April 18th, 2009, 09:55 PM

oh yeah, I am, The free as in freedom refers to saying that it is not proprietary or anything, and it was stallmans thing. So I am just referring to the stuff in the repository, and I was curious how many "scapers" were using gnu/linux.
Their are some games you can get that aren't in the repos, like widelands (a clone of settlers of catan)

Old April 19th, 2009, 09:10 PM

telengard has disabled reputation

I run Linux as my desktop and server but the only "free" game I play is bzflag, and that's pretty infrequent. I'm usually playing Q3 or TA (under Wine).

~telengard

Still stuck in the 1980s. My mame cabinet and 8 bit game room:
www.briansturk.com

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games