Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Re: What do you do in a stale mate?

A few considerations for this situation.

1. Victory conditions that have been met at this point. If not then go to...
2. Points left on the map. The higher point value remaining wins. If still tied go to...
3. The d20 rule. If it is still a tie and you absolutely have to have a winner, roll the d20. High roll wins. It's one of those incredibly simple, but elegantly genius, rules in the books since day one. If you hit something and no one is sure who is right/wrong roll the d20.
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:02 PM

SymphonyScaper knows what's in an order marker SymphonyScaper knows what's in an order marker

I've never experienced a stalemate during Heroscape. In my games, if a person has one figure left, and the other has many, the person with one figure prays, and then fights to the death.

For example, on Friday, I played a three player game in which I had Sir Gilbert and one 4th Mass left, and my opponent sent his last Izumi Samurai to fight me. The Izumi Samurai won, of course, and not because of Counterstike.

My collection: 4 RotV, 1 SotM, 2 BftU 1 Marvel, 1 TT, 1 VW, 2 TJ, 2 RttFF, 2 FotA, all expansions excluding exclusives, and every wave with almost x2 of all commons.
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Fizziii knows what's in an order marker Fizziii knows what's in an order marker

If you've got just Marro Warrios left (2 attack dice), and they've got someone non-ranged in the castle, it's pretty much a stalemate, unless you house rule that the door loses it's reinforced defense (add 2 automatic shields when rolling defense against a normal attack from a small or medium creature) to keep things going...
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
...It's one of those incredibly simple, but elegantly genius, rules in the books since day one. If you hit something and no one is sure who is right/wrong roll the d20.
I remember that HS youtube vid. Let's roll for it.

Old April 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

The only scenario I can see a "stale mate" (not a tie from equal remaining points when the time limit's out) is when a melee figure is stuck on top of a hex/level unreachable from the ground normally, meaning without using flying, etc.

For example, say Theracus flies a roman lego up on top of a 3-hex column that's say, 10 levels tall. Then later, Theracus dies and the roman is left for one army, and say a knight is left for the other army and is "stuck" on the bottom level of the map. Maybe the roman would be forced to fall off and risk taking damage because the knight can't reach the roman in any way but the roman can in a possible (not necessarily smart) way. Or it could always be resolved in a D20 roll or something of the sort.
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

In addition to what everyone else has said. Hopefully the castle is also in a fair location if it is not a castle scenario. For example, lets say their is a tower in the middle of the map; that would be considered fair, if it is in the right distance and fair distance of both of your team mates. Bu if the castle is in advantage to get to than the other person, that could be a major problem..Believe me its happened to me way too many times.

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:27 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

I've told this story before, but it seems to apply ...

In one of my first tournaments, I was playing against Draconious on Broken Skyline, which has 3 columns reachable only by ladder. At the end of the game, I was left with only 1 squad of Marrden Hounds and he had a couple of Airborne Elite on top of the columns. Since the Hounds are double spaced, they couldn't climb the ladder to reach his units. He was ahead on points (110 for AE vs 90 for the Hounds) so had no reason to come down.

You could call this a stalemate, but by the tournament rules he was clearly the winner since he had more points on the board.

In a friendly game, I recommend re-picking armies and/or changing the map and playing again.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM

Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker

Playing my son yesterday we had a stalemate position. I had one rat left on a small hill. My son had Krug left with 7 wounds on him. The way the map was set there was no way to place Krug with two spaces to be adjacent to my rat. I said I was going to stay put and I would never lose the game, but didn't really mean it. I also knew that I would lose if we counted points.

He eventually moved Krug next to the bottom of the hill. I came down and with height advantage was able to role 2 attack dice against my sons 3 defence dice. Of course I blanked and my son finished me off.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:32 PM

JANDAR88 has disabled reputation

It seems to me that most stalemate situations could be solved by one player simply giving in. It doesn't seem fair for your opponent to say "I think I will fly my one life kelda to the top of that lvl twenty single hex spire to stay away from you four knights of weston. It is my turn but I refuse to move."

BLACKMOON'S SIEGE
Heroscape Wave 9 / Coming in July of 2009
(Everyone do this)
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANDAR88 View Post
It seems to me that most stalemate situations could be solved by one player simply giving in. It doesn't seem fair for your opponent to say "I think I will fly my one life kelda to the top of that lvl twenty single hex spire to stay away from you four knights of weston. It is my turn but I refuse to move."
True, but why should a player leave an advantageous position, especially if they are ahead on points? I don't see anything wrong with winning on points if your opponent chose figures that have limitations that lead to stalemates (like the limited mobility of double-spacers).

Note that I'm only talking about competitive, tournament games. If it's just a friendly game, get off your perch, give your best Braveheart battle cry, and fight to the death.
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:06 PM

JANDAR88 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Tiger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANDAR88 View Post
True, but why should a player leave an advantageous position, especially if they are ahead on points? I don't see anything wrong with winning on points if your opponent chose figures that have limitations that lead to stalemates (like the limited mobility of double-spacers).

Note that I'm only talking about competitive, tournament games. If it's just a friendly game, get off your perch, give your best Braveheart battle cry, and fight to the death.
My point was that if it is your turn you should have to go, or if neither person is willing to advance, you could roll the 20 sider and make someone move forward.

In friendly games, just suck it up and play. I mean, geeze it's all for fun in a friendly game.

BLACKMOON'S SIEGE
Heroscape Wave 9 / Coming in July of 2009
(Everyone do this)
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Temprit is surprisingly tart

The only game I have experienced that required counting points was with a game with 12 people playing, and the game was taking so long so we had to finish it up.

"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion