Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 14th, 2007, 01:34 PM

forklift has disabled reputation
Sudema's stone gaze

Hey everyone, first time poster here.

I was thinking about a custom rule to go along with Sudema's stare of stone.

For those that don't know Sudema, she's an undead hero for Vydar with a "stare of stone" ability which has rules as follows:

Instead of attacking, choose any figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Sudema. Roll the 20-sided die. If the chosen figure is a Squad figure and you roll a 7 or higher, destroy it. If the chosen figure if a Hero figure and you roll a 17 or higher, destroy the chosen Hero.

To me, this figure is a blatant rip off of the fabled medusa... right down to the snakes for hair. Except for one tiny thing missing.

If you were to look at the fabled medusa, you would turn to stone. So, why not allow Sudema to roll for the stone glare if she's being targeted for attack? After all, you have to look at her to shoot at her.

This would probably raise her cost considerably (currently 140), but let's discuss.
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM

that guy has disabled reputation
That's actually a pretty good idea. When a figure within 4 spaces targets Sudema, she may roll the D20. Kind of like the Nakita's smoke powder. That would really make her playable.
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Welcome to the boards, forklift!

On behalf of our load shifting and bad hair day having community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake.

As a new member, you can begin your journey on the path to the fellowship, praise and respect of your Heroscapers peers by checking out this announcement: http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=6970

That would make for an exceptionally dangerous unit and some truly strange strategies. The Dumutef, Swog, Eldgrim, Isamu, Guilty and Marcu (and mebbe even Gwyn) suddenly become the anti-Sudemas because they are cheap heroes while only the cheapest of cheap squads can afford to try her (Nagrubs, Blade Gruts). I'm not sure I like the idea of creating an environment where cheap becomes even better than it is now, but I still love the concept of what is perhaps the ultimate counterattack.

~Aldin, who thinks being stoned is bad but being stoned is wayyyy worse

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the comments and welcome!

Perhaps this new rule would entail just a few stipulations to balance this "counterattack" ability out and keep her 140 point cost the same...

1. If Sudema comes within 4 spaces of a figure, roll.

2. She can not roll again for that figure unless she becomes adjacent to that figure or

3. If Sudema becomes targeted for an attack, roll.

Thoughts?
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:30 PM

SoulfulKillingMachine has disabled reputation
You could design it to counter anything that needs LOS; ranged attacks and powers such as acid breath.

I'm sorry, I don't speak emoticon.
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:59 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Just for the record, watch something:

S U D E M A

M U D E S A

M E D U S A

So yes, it is from the mythological gorgon. As for the power it looks interesting, but it would make it very hard to kill Sudema if you had to worry about dying everytime you attacked her.

Old November 14th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Heh! Word play never gets old.

As for making her hard to kill... Then I guess we'll have to make a custom rip-off of Icarus - complete with a mirror shield. :P That way Sudema can be susceptible to her own attack.
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Xiegfried knows what's in an order marker Xiegfried knows what's in an order marker Xiegfried knows what's in an order marker
I think that that sounds much more like Medusa and it would make her more playable. Oh, and it was Perseus that fought Medusa, Icarus was the one with the fake wings that fell apart which led to his demise.
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Right, Perseus! Thanks for the correction. I suppose I should rethink my idea for Jackson and the golden fleas, too.
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:31 PM

AgentX-127 Woo who?
Re: Sudema's stone gaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by forklift
To me, this figure is a blatant rip off of the fabled medusa...
You may want to consider the phrase "inspired by" rather than "blatant rip off."

Unless you want to sound antagonistic toward the game designers, who are obviously not trying to hide the fact that they draw inspiration variously from myth, legend, history, and popular culture to create the characters for the "Battle of All Time."
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:35 PM

gibberish_47 Woo who?
I really like this idea. If you keep it to four spaces, I don't think she would be broken. Ranged squads could still take a bite out of her.

Old November 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Re: Sudema's stone gaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentX-127
You may want to consider the phrase "inspired by" rather than "blatant rip off."
Inspired by sounds good to me. Look, I meant no harm and wasn't being acidic. Besides, I doubt Plato, Homer and the like would file suit against Hasbro for taking their ideas, so... moving back to the subject at hand.

Here are the revised rules according to what people have posted so far:

1. If Sudema comes within 4 spaces of a figure, roll "Stare of Stone".

2. She can not roll again for that figure unless she becomes adjacent to that figure or

3. If Sudema becomes targeted by an attack (either ranged or melee) or by a special ability, roll "Stare of Stone".

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards