Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old October 19th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Jotun has disabled reputation
Thanks for the merge.

Hey Velenna, the book appears to still be in print. I got it from the library, so I don't know what stores would have it. Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/A-Song-Lya-Oth.../dp/1930235119

I'll check out a Melanie Rawn book or buy it, and post back afterwards. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The board game and CCG's are good too.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:24 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
I actually haven't finished his last book. I got about 1/3 of the way through and decided he went from the greatest author on earth to a flop. His first three books, the greatest books I've ever read. His last book a piece of disorganized, overly backgrounded with non- interesting information, Robert Jordan-ed quest for more money crap.

No wonder he was more than 2 years past his publisher's deadline in getting this out. His last book reads like he'd rather watch football, collect toy knights, go to cons and roll in his money than to mess with this series in a serious matter. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:33 AM

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
And another thing... don't get me wrong about Robert Jordan. I loved his first book. Thought his second book was pretty good. After the Dragon Reborn, he was done.

I'm just pissed that I see Martin following in his footsteps. Maybe it should be a rule great fantasy epics are only allowed to be 3,000 pages long, tops then you have to let your favorite world, characters, and money maker go. And move on.

Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:41 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I actually kind of agree with Riggler. The first trilogy was positively earth-shattering. Feast for Crows felt like he was in love with own voice and lost his purpose. Filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler
Especially with Brienne- good lord was that ever a letdown. Still, my favorite character was always Daenarys so I hope Dance with Dragons changes my opinion on these 'intermission' books.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 04:24 PM

Jotun has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler
I actually haven't finished his last book. I got about 1/3 of the way through and decided he went from the greatest author on earth to a flop. His first three books, the greatest books I've ever read. His last book a piece of disorganized, overly backgrounded with non- interesting information, Robert Jordan-ed quest for more money crap.

No wonder he was more than 2 years past his publisher's deadline in getting this out. His last book reads like he'd rather watch football, collect toy knights, go to cons and roll in his money than to mess with this series in a serious matter. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Ugh....Robert Jordan....I still have nightmares about that disappointing series. Started out great. When I saw that it's filed under Young Adult I think that's when I finally gave up on it ever getting better. I started reading it when I was a teen, but now I'm in my 30s and I want books that have real human relationships, gruesome fights, heads and hands getting chopped off left and right, and maybe a healthy or unhealthy frolick now and then. Is that so wrong?

I was let down by Feast for Crows but didn't hate it. A friend of mine said it was his favorite book because of all the political intrigue. Too much political intrigue for me in that one. Dance of Dragons should be better since it surrounds the more interesting characters of Tyrion and Daenrys and Jon Snow. But to anyone out there that has not read GRRM, don't let these criticisms cause you to pass on the series because it's pretty amazing.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler

Ugh....Robert Jordan....I still have nightmares about that disappointing series. Started out great. When I saw that it's filed under Young Adult I think that's when I finally gave up on it ever getting better. I started reading it when I was a teen, but now I'm in my 30s and I want books that have real human relationships, gruesome fights, heads and hands getting chopped off left and right, and maybe a healthy or unhealthy frolick now and then. Is that so wrong?

I was let down by Feast for Crows but didn't hate it. A friend of mine said it was his favorite book because of all the political intrigue. Too much political intrigue for me in that one. Dance of Dragons should be better since it surrounds the more interesting characters of Tyrion and Daenrys and Jon Snow. But to anyone out there that has not read GRRM, don't let these criticisms cause you to pass on the series because it's pretty amazing.
Yeah. I turned on about 15 people in my community to Robert Jordan back in the day. I probably helped him sell more than a 100 books. (some bought numerous copies). And almost all of them stuck with him through, what edition is he on? 15 or something. Out of fan loyalty or one upmanship? I don't know. I stopped halfway through the book after Dragon Reborn b/c it sucked.

I'm not going give up on Martin. I'll pick up Feast of Crows again, probably sooner rather than later. I just hope this isn't the beginning of the end for him. But then again, I'll give him the benefitt of the doubt that when you've been as great as his first three books it can become a tough act to follow.

Old December 13th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I am reading A Game of Thrones now. I started this weekend and aam only about 300 pages away from finishing now. I wish I had more time to read this week
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced
I am reading A Game of Thrones now. I started this weekend and aam only about 300 pages away from finishing now. I wish I had more time to read this week
How do you like it?

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced
How do you like it?
Well considering I started it this weekend and I am over 500 pages in, I would say I am liking it pretty well

It really has the epic house struggles/political intrigue of Dune, which is one of my all time favorite books. I can't wait to finish A Game of Thrones and move on to the next one. I just hope he finishes Dance with Dragons before I get through Feast.

I am also scared that this is going to make me want to get into the CCG
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:42 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
Jordan's on number 11. As well as being seriously ill, so hopes of books 12/13 to finish the set are looking a bit bleak.

Shame. I hated several of the later Wheel of Time books until I came to re-read them. And if you can mentally edit out all the braid tugging, and the "Matt/Perrin/Rand would have handled this better" stuff, it's a jolly good read.

I'd made a start on a Feast for Crows, but was in the mood for something lighter so left it. I'll have to pick it up again after Xmas (the current reading matter is so light as to practically FLOAT above my bedside table - Games Workshop's Warhammer 40k fiction, for goodness sake. Complete rubbish, but it does help me get to sleep at night).

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old December 21st, 2006, 05:49 PM

jaques has disabled reputation
I read everything GRRM wrote up until ASOFAI. I started A Game of Thrones and was bored out of my mind. (No offense to the series' many fans -- I may have just been in a bad mood during that time.)

I highly recommend:

A Song for Lya
Sandkings (another short story collection - amazing title story was made into a terrible Outer Limits episode)
Tuf Voyaging
The Armageddon Rag
Fevre Dream
Dying of the Light

(edited to add: Most of these will very likely be very hard to find.)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books