Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old October 12th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Spiral
Somehow i feel that the glyph pool should be part of the map. Since some maps locations for certain glyphs make a given glyph either near worthless or very powerful.

Side not because i cant seem to find anything: is there a "standard selection of glyphs suggested for tournament use" somewhere?

I played several more games over the course of the week and I'm noticing a lot of thinks i need of "standardizing, unless every tournament from now and forever will be "homade rules""
This is the list from the GenCon tournaments, which is as close to standard as anything we've got:

The glyph pool will be as follows: Astrid (+1 attack), Gerda (+1 defense), Valda (+2 move), Dagmar (+8 initiative), and Lodin (+1 to D20 rolls)

The whole thread is HERE
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:33 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
I update the FIRST PAGE with the nomination of Annihilation Alley.

--

I am declining to accept the nomination of Annihilation Alley. The map is great and it was selected for GenCon. As the map organizer for GenCon, I had to make special provisions and considerations to include this map. It specifies a "handful of expansion tiles". In order for me to use this map I had to open it and build it to verify exactly how many extra pieces are required. Once I had that information, then I had to bump it up against the other maps in the pool to make sure I was going to have the necessary tiles left over from the other builds. Fortunately I had selected 2 maps that did not use all the pieces from a Master set. My point? I went through a great deal of trouble to include Annihilation Alley in the GenCon map pool. It wasn't easy, but I wanted the map in there. So from an event organizer's perspective, I would have to say including Annihilation Alley was cumbersome. I do not want to approve a map for review that is not specific about exactly what is needed. In my opinion, this download has to be updated with more specifics on the materials required before it can be considered for BOV.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 12th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Supergeek knows what's in an order marker Supergeek knows what's in an order marker
Sorry, I created the pdf and uploaded it for Codeman. I'll count the tiles required and upload an update asap. Maybe find a way to hide that 1hex road piece too.

Oh yeah. Keep up the good work! This is a great thread.

I <3 HeroScape tournaments!
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergeek
Sorry, I created the pdf and uploaded it for Codeman. I'll count the tiles required and upload an update asap. Maybe find a way to hide that 1hex road piece too.

SG, that would actually be great if you did so. I am fairly certian the extra materials are 6 2-Hex grass.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergeek

SG, that would actually be great if you did so. I am fairly certian the extra materials are 6 2-Hex grass.
Which, generally, means any 6 2-hexes would work other than lava.
Old October 12th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
I am declining to accept the nomination of Annihilation Alley. The map is great and it was selected for GenCon. As the map organizer for GenCon, I had to make special provisions and considerations to include this map. It specifies a "handful of expansion tiles". In order for me to use this map I had to open it and build it to verify exactly how many extra pieces are required. Once I had that information, then I had to bump it up against the other maps in the pool to make sure I was going to have the necessary tiles left over from the other builds. Fortunately I had selected 2 maps that did not use all the pieces from a Master set. My point? I went through a great deal of trouble to include Annihilation Alley in the GenCon map pool. It wasn't easy, but I wanted the map in there. So from an event organizer's perspective, I would have to say including Annihilation Alley was cumbersome. I do not want to approve a map for review that is not specific about exactly what is needed. In my opinion, this download has to be updated with more specifics on the materials required before it can be considered for BOV.
Thanks for this comment, R˙chean. This is a great example of the things we consider as judges besides the playability of a map.
Old October 12th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Guys, I'd like to re-nominate Winter Crossing.

Recall that we had previously approved this map for review before noticing that it didn't fit the guidelines. It now qualifies under the revised guidelines, and out of fairness I think it deserves re-nomination. It previously had four endorsements for review so unless someone wants to change their vote I suggest we move it directly into the review list.

(I know I've been campaigning for smaller maps lately, but dang this map looks nice!)
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:45 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
While I am honored to have Annihilation Alley nominated for Battlefields of Valhalla I see in your by-laws specifically Item 3 ( copied below ) that Annihilation Alley does not qualify as it does have a few extra tiles and thus exceeds the 1 master set limit. Base on this fact I think it should be pulled from consideration.

3. Maps are not to exceed 1 MS and up to 3 terrain expansions. No more than 2 expansions of the same type may be used in a map (note exception at bottom of this section).

I will say it was also a nice surprise to see it at Gen-Con.. and thank all who made that happen. I made/designed it strictly for our Midwest tourneys. Using a few extra tiles did not matter to me as we all seem to collect a good number of extra tiles in each time a new wave comes out, and my thought was I should put some of those to use… and these extra tiles filled in Annihilation Alley map nicely.

Again thank you for the nomination, but Annihilation Alley clearly does not fall within the rules set in the bylaws

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:48 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman
While I am honored to have Annihilation Alley nominated for Battlefields of Valhalla I see in your by-laws specifically Item 3 ( copied below ) that Annihilation Alley does not qualify as it does have a few extra tiles and thus exceeds the 1 master set limit. Base on this fact I think it should be pulled from consideration.

3. Maps are not to exceed 1 MS and up to 3 terrain expansions. No more than 2 expansions of the same type may be used in a map (note exception at bottom of this section).

I will say it was also a nice surprise to see it at Gen-Con.. and thank all who made that happen. I made/designed it strictly for our Midwest tourneys. Using a few extra tiles did not matter to me as we all seem to collect a good number of extra tiles in each time a new wave comes out, and my thought was I should put some of those to use… and these extra tiles filled in Annihilation Alley map nicely.

Again thank you for the nomination, but Annihilation Alley clearly does not fall within the rules set in the bylaws
Actually, Codeman, a small amount of terrain expansion hexes are allowed for use without going over the limit. Past a few extra hexes, though...

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:55 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Actually, Codeman, a small amount of terrain expansion hexes are allowed for use without going over the limit. Past a few extra hexes, though...
Thanks Stinger, I did think of that, however I thought it was kind of gray area or one would have to read between the lines to come to that conclusion. Saying it take a second expansion just to use 6 tiles from it is kind of a stretch even though the math works out.

If the committee thinks it is all right, that fine with me - if not I understand, rules are rules.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM

I still like your map, Codeman. <smile>

And I'm quite happy to approve for review Winter Crossing.
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
I'll be abstaining from the entire process of Winter Crossing. I do not have access to two Tundra sets for testing. May never have them. With all the extra snow expansion tiles from the waves, I've got to have quite a bit thicker bank account before I justify $20 for another squad of snowmen I'll never use and some duplicate glaciers and ice.

As for Codeman's Annihilation Alley, two points.

If what Rych says is true, then technically a MS, Road, and Marvel set would provide the required 2-hex grass tiles, thereby falling under the set provisions.

Second point, the provision of a "few extra tiles" was removed from the guidelines when they were revised. So in order to "use a few extra tiles" you must account for those in an expansion.

I don't have a problem with using a "few extra tiles" from Marvel to complete a map, but this map in particular must be submitted saying it will use: MS, Road and Marvel. The submission of the map could say, "Alternatively, instead of a Marvel set, six double hex grass tiles may be used."

I'll let you guys ponder what I said. I guess I have to vote NO for playtesting, as it technically isn't submitted according to our new guidelines.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios