Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old December 18th, 2014, 05:37 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Cathar Spearmen

Personally, the "bonding squads are great against them" argument falls really flat for me, since almost all of my favorite melee squads don't bond.

That said, I like playing with the Cathars and I feel much better about using them than about using a figure like Q9 or the 4th Mass.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Did you skip the rest of the thread? Hmm? Cuz I'm pretty sure this is where the whole reality check came into play...

-Orc, noting this endless circle he seems to have gotten himself in.
You proposed that it would be better for them to get extra attack in melee because spears are traditionally better when used at a distance?
Bracing the spear is used when someone "runs into" you. Impale is used to stab someone further away. If bracing logically hits him when he reaches your hex, which is what it does, then impaling would hit someone in the hex next to you. It wouldn't have an extra hex worth of distance.
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:43 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Bracing the spear is used when someone "runs into" you. Impale is used to stab someone further away. If bracing logically hits him when he reaches your hex, which is what it does, then impaling would hit someone in the hex next to you. It wouldn't have an extra hex worth of distance.
You can't impale yourself on my braced spear just by standing at the tip of it. You have to bring yourself close enough to me that your movement propels you on to the tip of my spear. So Braced Spear doesn't trigger when you are away from me, but it triggers as you move from the tip of my spear to be standing beside me. Heroscape doesn't offer any "in between two spaces" state, so in mechanical terms the power triggers after you are already on the adjacent space.

Impale, meanwhile, is the simplest way to implement the desired theme/mechanic in the Heroscape ruleset. If it makes you feel better, you could think of it as something along the lines of a base attack of 3 with text of:
Quote:
UNWIELDY
When a Cathar Spearman attacks an adjacent figure, subtract one from their attack dice.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Now you're just making stuff up

Bracing is used when someone runs into the space adjacent to you. If bracing logically hits them as they reach an adjacent space, then there's no extra distance involved to impale them in the prior space.

~Aldin, mathamagically challenged

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

The way it seems is that you would be affected by braced spear as you reached the spear point while running, like I said. You run unit to the spear, and logic and sculpt dictate that this would occur as you reached the gap between the hexes in HS. So the impale would reach the other end of the hex, not the next, if that made any sense.
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
The way it seems is that you would be affected by braced spear as you reached the spear point while running, like I said. You run unit to the spear, and logic and sculpt dictate that this would occur as you reached the gap between the hexes in HS. So the impale would reach the other end of the hex, not the next, if that made any sense.
Nope, because it activates when they enter the adjacent space, not when they enter the figure's space.

~Aldin, geometrically

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Nope, because it activates when they enter the adjacent space, not when they enter the figure's space.

~Aldin, geometrically
Not sure if I agree, but I'll go with it. It doesn't matter enough where I am willing to do math outside of school.
Old December 18th, 2014, 07:12 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

If you get the concept on these guys, then they are super fun to play. The whole theme of guys running into pikes or spears is awesome. The range bonus of 2 that gives you the extra attack makes your opponent want to get in there and attack or "be a little girl" and get back and shoot em. Personally I like to shoot at these guys, less of my figures die that way. Overall I don't get the argument but hey.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:25 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The talk about their braced spear makes me wish that a Cathar Spearman had to be adjacent to another Cathar for Braced Spear to work. It's not nearly as difficult to avoid one spear as it is to avoid multiple spears, which is why they were most often used in formation.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 01:36 PM

brendrizzle Woo who?

Anyone know where to find these figures right now? I did some searching... saw they were sold out on mm
Old September 22nd, 2016, 01:43 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

They were pretty inexpensive for a long time. I bet if you go to the trade subforum and try to acquire some there, you'll have some luck.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 22nd, 2016, 01:49 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendrizzle View Post
Anyone know where to find these figures right now? I did some searching... saw they were sold out on mm
I used to have some 40 or so of these guys, but have been giving them to friends, and family, and giving them out as prizes and other things. I'll see how many I have left and if I have enough, I'll give you a reasonable deal.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs