Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:34 PM

Blackrock is surprisingly tart
I'm Lost

I used to have some links to a number of helpful posts and threads for creating custom cards, but I've lost them and I can't find them anywhere! Here's what I need to know ASAP; I use the GIMP, by the way:

1) How do I make the smokey effect on my figure's portrait?
2) What file type do I save an image as so that I can close it and come back later with layers intact?
3) What font most closely resembles the standard card font?

I managed to make an overlay for a card that lets the portrait show through after it's scaled, positioned, and blended (but I can't find which specific blending or smudging or whatever tool makes the smokey effect), but the word "SPACES" is on the template image by default, and since it'd be disastrous to try and smudge over it I'd like to make the rest of the labels match; everything else is blank, save for the General's name (I got my templates out of the gallery).
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:36 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Did you check here?

http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=3249

Also whitestuff has a GIMP turtorial if you can find a post by him, it's in his signature.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi1hi1hi1hi1
Did you check here?

http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=3249

Also whitestuff has a GIMP turtorial if you can find a post by him, it's in his signature.
Yes, I checked, but I didn't find what I want. And thanks for dropping the name whitestuff! I think he was the one who told me what I needed and linked me to that one great tut (really should be stickied), but I forgot his name. I'll look him up.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
In Photoshop use the faded edge eraser at a huge side and don't place it directly on the figure

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:59 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Templar
In Photoshop use the faded edge eraser at a huge side and don't place it directly on the figure
Actually, that will just create a fade for your picture. The official card fog is a layer on top of a different color. To do that, create a layer mask and then fill it with the gradient tool. You can use that to create a gradient from any color to "transparent".

Check the customizing link in my signature for the font information.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:16 AM

ron3090 Woo who?
Another thing is to set the eraser opacity to 60% or so, and then erase the bottom quarter of the figure. BEFORE you do that, however, make its hit zones!

ron3090 is 'Shotgun' Sullivan...
in the ECRU CAVE...
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyOwl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Templar
Actually, that will just create a fade for your picture. The official card fog is a layer on top of a different color. To do that, create a layer mask and then fill it with the gradient tool. You can use that to create a gradient from any color to "transparent".

Check the customizing link in my signature for the font information.
No it won't if the figure is in separate layer it will just fade the figure picture

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:46 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
Right, but what I'm saying is that on the official cards they don't fade the figure picture at all. They put another color (actually a picture of fog that isn't a solid color) that fades from 100% opaque at the bottom to transparent as it moves up. The fog image is what fades, not the figure image.

I'm not saying your method won't look good or anything - I'm just pointing out that what they do on the official cards is somewhat different.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:17 PM

It's okay guys, Photoshop tips don't help me anyways; like I said, I can only use the GIMP on my computer. Thanks for the tips though I'll check for whitestuff's tut and see what he says.
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:06 AM
C3G Hero

whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun
I say, BLAH!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards