Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old February 10th, 2008, 09:56 PM

hakysak is surprisingly tart
Silent Warriors

I saw the end of a program on the History channel. There were some group of Persian warriors who marched and fought in complete silence (talk about being labeled as "disciplined"). Anyway, a legion of Roman soldiers completely massacred them.

I am looking for some more information on this silent warrior band. However, google would not cooperate with me. If anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about, please PM me.
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:34 PM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart
I say search the movie 300 on wikipedia, and then find the link to the real battle

After that you will have to find them yourself

It's a great heroscape idea though

Silent Fear- If the ____ was adjacent to the same figure this turn as it was last turn, the figure must roll one less defense die, and the ___ gets to roll one more attack die

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:55 AM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
Re: Silent Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakysak
I saw the end of a program on the History channel. There were some group of Persian warriors who marched and fought in complete silence (talk about being labeled as "disciplined"). Anyway, a legion of Roman soldiers completely massacred them.

I am looking for some more information on this silent warrior band. However, google would not cooperate with me. If anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about, please PM me.
Are you talking about the Immortals, who got their @$$es handed to them by the Spartans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
lol, SPARTANS! "we gave their name the test".

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:50 PM

Wrong war. These guys would have fought in the Roman-Persian War at least four hundred years after the Greco-Persian War. Also, 300 is mostly a bunch of bull. I'm having to do a lot of research on Thermopolye right now, which is what reminded me of those silent warriors. I still haven't found anything, though. When i leave here I plan on searching the HC sute to see if I can find anything else out.
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Wrong war. These guys would have fought in the Roman-Persian War at least four hundred years after the Greco-Persian War. Also, 300 is mostly a bunch of bull. I'm having to do a lot of research on Thermopolye right now, which is what reminded me of those silent warriors. I still haven't found anything, though. When i leave here I plan on searching the HC sute to see if I can find anything else out.
They are probably the same warriors. I'm pretty sure the Immortals fought in silence. Either way, Persia got their @$$ handed to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
B.U.D.
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:48 PM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart
I meant that 300 would have a link to the war because it is based off of the war

Guido was right it was the Immortals

here is the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Immortals

Though it does not say about the not speaking part

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido
Quote:
They are probably the same warriors. I'm pretty sure the Immortals fought in silence. Either way, Persia got their @$$ handed to them.
The Immortals were disbanded after the Greco-Persian Wars and not brught back for over a thousand years. The time period of the warriors I'm looking for should be in the Romano-Persian Wars, about 500 years after Thermopolye.

I'm starting to think that the program I saw was just making stuff up based on the Immortals.

Oh and by the way, there were 300 Spartans, over 7,000 Arcadians and a fleet of a few thousand Athenian Navy fighting at Thermopolye, and the Persians defeated them in three or four days. The Athenian navy is the reason why it took so long, and the reason why the Greeks infantry did so well was because that the Macedonian Phalanx was a very common Greek strategy that was highly effective against Persian tactics. Spartans didn't contribute that much other than leadership. And, they famously stayed behind when the battle was lost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_formation

That Spartan defeat in the link was pretty funny, huh.

The Roman Legionaires kind of use the Phalanx tactic with the Sheild Wall ability.

I think I'm going to construct a historically correct scenerio for Thermopolye. That would be cool.
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Immortals were disbanded after the Greco-Persian Wars and not brught back for over a thousand years. The time period of the warriors I'm looking for should be in the Romano-Persian Wars, about 500 years after Thermopolye.

I'm starting to think that the program I saw was just making stuff up based on the Immortals.

Oh and by the way, there were 300 Spartans, over 7,000 Arcadians and a fleet of a few thousand Athenian Navy fighting at Thermopolye, and the Persians defeated them in three or four days. The Athenian navy is the reason why it took so long, and the reason why the Greeks infantry did so well was because that the Macedonian Phalanx was a very common Greek strategy that was highly effective against Persian tactics. Spartans didn't contribute that much other than leadership. And, they famously stayed behind when the battle was lost.
I would have to disagree with the bold. Everything else is pretty much accurate though. I'm pretty sure there were a thousand or so Thespians at the battle of Thermopile as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
B.U.D.
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:53 PM

If you look at how the Phalanx works, there's no room for heroes, except leaders. Leadership is very important, and that was Sparta's contribution. Spartans didn't just go out and slaughter Persians like they did in the movie and comic. The movie 300 Spartans, even though it's also not completely accurate either, is a much better representation of the Battle of Thermopolye than 300 is, except that it's not as cool to watch.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
If you look at how the Phalanx works, there's no room for heroes, except leaders. Leadership is very important, and that was Sparta's contribution. Spartans didn't just go out and slaughter Persians like they did in the movie and comic. The movie 300 Spartans, even though it's also not completely accurate either, is a much better representation of the Battle of Thermopolye than 300 is, except that it's not as cool to watch.
You do realize that the movie 300 is based on the comic and not actual events, right? I wouldn't expect it to be deadly accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
B.U.D.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You do realize that the movie 300 is based on the comic and not actual events, right? I wouldn't expect it to be deadly accurate.
Yeah, but a lot of people could get confused with MTV hiring people to say "I am a famous historian and this movie is 90% accurate." And not everyone reading this thread will know much more than what the movie said, which is why I used it as comparison.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General