Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old August 31st, 2019, 01:00 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Sir Heroscape's customs

Quote:
Much improved. Improved Flocking could probably use a more thematic name to fit the new role of Scout, but it is just an improved flocking, to be fair.

Notably, I think that this version of the Archer actually addresses the problem of cutting out the Sneaks from Raptorian builds, despite Improved Flocking having more mechanical overlap. The utility of being able to move 6 Raptorians is pretty worthwhile, but it's tied to a weak attack of 2, leaving many instances when you'd want to choose to take a turn with the Sneaks instead for the improved offense. And of course, you're unlikely to fill out those 6 Raptorians without some other common backbone to the army, which the Sneaks are the prime option for.

7 range feels a little long for such a weak attack to me, but I like its effect mechanically of letting them hang further back and adding some slight ranged utility to the army, so it feels justified. 20 points also feels like a sweetspot, being characteristically cheap for the Beakfaces but still giving more army building options for different point totals.

Overall, I really like this direction. I do feel like Skittish fits better than Disciplined as a personality for the new direction (plus it ties them even more thematically to the Sneaks), but the mechanics here have a lot of potential.

Quote:
I agree with @Leaf_It that Quorik doesn't feel right here. While there isn't a clear precedent set yet, I like the idea of Quorik being the "magical" looking Raptorians, whereas the Chieftan gives off much more of a nobility vibe to me. A new word or "class" preceding the position of Chieftan would feel more at home here.

Both of these powers achieve familiar effects, but with some different ornamentation. Jump Back has minor variations on Flutter (moving only one space instead of two, a roll of 9 instead of 10 needed, and needing to end the movement unengaged), but I can't help but feel like it would be better to go for Flutter outright here. He lacks Flying like the Warwitch has, but it still feels evocative of a Raptorian to me, much like Glide or Evasive. As an extension of this, I think that 6 Life and 2 Defense would be more interesting here than 5L/3D.

Raptorian Aggression, on the other hand, feels like it could be simplified to me. The need to reveal an X Order Marker on him just doesn't feel worth the adjacent Attack +1 boost. You're sacrificing a turn with stronger options (either for offense or for positioning with the Archers) for what will, at most, be +4 attack dice in a round if you take both of your remaining turns with the Sneaks.

I think that it's worth experimenting with removing the Order Marker requirement altogether, and letting him find his value in ordering the other Raptorians around. While it could be very powerful with all of the movement possibilities the faction has, that gives a good unit to take advantage of these synergies and feels thematically strong to me. The fact that Flocking and Improved Flocking only activate after attacking helps as well, along with the only other ranged option being the Archer's otherwise pitiful attack. My main concern with this would be the Clawfoot Interceptor, but they're fragile and would leave the Chieftan in a poor spot. If he's decently killable on his own, I could see it being a reasonable but fun addition to the Raptorian builds (or at least worth testing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar the Silver Prince View Post
Further, maybe your Chieftain could be a... Warlord? Another Einar Warlord for the Sacred Band might be kinda cool.
I'd like another Einar Warlord for the Sacred Band as well (and I think that the Raptorians wouldn't be a bad place to see one), but I don't think this figure or design are the right one for it. The sculpt doesn't feel terribly like a Warlord to me, and so far most of its utility comes from the Raptorian-specific synergies, which will already disrupt the Disciplined Army Defense Bonus. Perhaps another day.
Old August 31st, 2019, 07:21 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Jump back feels too reminiscent of Isamu with that roll of 9. I'd like to see it raised to 11 or even higher.
Old September 1st, 2019, 12:40 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

@Astroking112 that's some great feedback! I appreciate it. I'm thinking I like the changes to "Skittish" as that seems appropriate for a Beakface common unit. I also like your points about the Chieftan. I'm going to have to give him some thought. The name, the abilities...you gave some good food for thought. I'm gunna collect my thoughts here and come back with some changes, see what you guys think.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old September 4th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Will come back on the Beakfaces shortly...but in the meantime...got some changes to Veguzza to discuss.

Quote:
NAME = VEGUZZA

SPECIES = DURGETH
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = SAVAGE
PERSONALITY = FEARSOME
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5

LIFE = 6
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 2
POINTS = 80

TARGET POINT: Head
GRAY AREAS: Weapons

SAVAGE SUPREMACY
Anytime you roll the 20-sided die for a Savage Army Card, you may add 1 to your die roll.

SWAMP MASTERY
While Veguzza is on a swamp space or swamp water space, he has no visible Hit Zones.
Slight change to the 2nd ability to allow it to activate against both normal and special attacks.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old September 4th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

6 life 2 defense is really squishy for 80 point even with the terrain restricted thorian speed. balance these 3 stats (cost life defense) and I think you have a winner.

not the flashiest custom but I would say the most logical.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old September 4th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Honestly, that card's boring me to tears.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old September 4th, 2019, 03:11 PM

Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby!

Gotta agree with LO. There isn't anything to make Veguzza pop. I see him as a bonding beatstick that can influence die rolls. There isn't too much reason to use him over any other option
Old September 4th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Much like Alistair macdirk, sir Derrick, tornak, Crixus, and parmenio. All are bonding heroes that don't have flashy abilities. When you are designing for SoV this is the template you follow. If Sir H wants to do something unique and novel he should, but that is different than SoV.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old September 4th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Much like Alistair macdirk, sir Derrick, tornak, Crixus, and parmenio. All are bonding heroes that don't have flashy abilities. When you are designing for SoV this is the template you follow. If Sir H wants to do something unique and novel he should, but that is different than SoV.
I wouldn't say that isn't SoV, but that not every design needs to be flashy, unique, and novel. You certainly can make something uniquely, and interesting, but Sometimes the figure just doesn't need that, or the faction they are a part of doesn't. Sorry if I'm coming of rudely, I just don't want anyone feel like they can't create unique designs, just because they want to submit to the SoV. The SoV isn't for every unique design, but that doesn't mean you can't make interesting designs that would be accepted.
Old September 4th, 2019, 04:31 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
And this is why I no longer give a crap about VC, to be frank.
And I'm sorry, Alistair McDirk, Crixus and Tornak are all more interesting than this guy to me, right now (though I could be underestimating the Swamp Stealth thing) due to their interesting stats and powers. Sir Denrick is fun, but a counterdraft hero. Parmenio... is a pretty poor example, but even then, if his aura were actually good, he'd be quite interesting, especially with Disciplined Influence. This guy's a pretty standard stat-line and a D20 boost.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old September 4th, 2019, 04:44 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Swamp Mastery should have a name change -- Mastery in general implies a stat boost (like Water Elemental with Water Mastery). Doesn't sound like a hiding power. I don't like him being able to have no hit zones when on a normal swamp space, I'd rather it be just on swamp water, especially if you're going the full no hit zone route.

I generally agree with the mindset of being different for the sake of being different is usually going to land you a bridge too far, and I think that the recent version of Veguzza with all the souped up healing, supremacy, and lurking was just that. I do have to agree, though, that this version is very vanilla. I could see him working, since the Ravagers roll the d20 enough for his power to come into play, but I'd agree that there's not much exciting about running an 80 point d20 booster, and he seems odd as a cheerleader that will hide all game when compared to the usual savagery of the Durgeth. I feel like he's been yanked around so much that the role he's looking to fill has been lost (unless that's just being Lodin for Durgeth, which doesn't excite me much).

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old September 4th, 2019, 05:02 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm with Bigga here--I think a lot of your excitement and design focus for Veguzza was tied up in the Comfrey Plants ability, which carried a lot of what made her thematically fit with the Durgeth. While I agree with the other judges that it wasn't quite the right direction to take it, trying to reconfigure the parts you have left after removing that thematic core likely isn't going to result in anything particularly inspiring.

I'd recommend taking a step back here and working out how to take this figure in a direction that fits with the Ravagers in playstyle, rather than just in explicit synergy. The Durgeth have to work a little harder to get their bonding activation, why should they spend it on Veguzza?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards