Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old October 12th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Elginb has disabled reputation
Unit Rankings: 120 Point Heroes

I invite you to rank the 120 point Heroes from first to worst, based on your own personal experiences with them. And if the feeling strikes you, please note your reasons for any particular ranking. Then feel free to debate with your fellow posters. Here's the list of 120 point Heroes:

Agent Skahen
Grimnak
Kaemon Awa
Krug
Raelin (SOTM)
Runa
Venoc Warlord

Also, any requests for the next Unit Rankings are appreciated.
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:54 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Unit Rankings: 120 Point Heroes

1. Kaemon Awa - the game's greatest one-man swiss army knife.
  2. Grimnak - Smaller maps, valuable glyphs, expensive squad figures, and rats all have led to the ascendancy of the "Raenak" build, bringing this old RotV figure to the fore.
  3. Agent Skahen - if the KMA didn't exist, she would look even better. As it is, she's still really good, especially with Raelin.
  4. Krug - he suffers a bit from commonsquadscape, but Krug is still the most cost-effective can opener in the game, and gives the Arrow Grut build its bite.
  5. Raelin SotM - if the other Raelin didn't exist, she would look a lot better.
  6. Venoc Warlord - He mostly just boosts the speed of figures that are already really fast. He's only worth it if you lack the startzone spaces for more squaddies.
  7. Runa - even in the rare situations where there's enough points in a small enough area to make Runa merit an order marker, she dies too quickly.
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:26 PM

1) Venoc Warlord - best Warlord, IMO. Boosting movement values makes a huge difference when determining who gets first attack-- especially useful with the Mohicans. And the +1 boost for Frenzy really is significant. Fear the Frenzy...

2) Grimnak - It's hard to beat the one insta-kill in the game. He's also got good survivability. Even though he's best with Heavy Gruts, I've used him effectively by himself in drafted games.

3) Kaemon Awa - One of the best clean-up units in the game and possibly the coolest looking figure in the game.

4) Raelin (SOTM) - She's awesome-- +1 defense is often all you need, and the extended range of her aura really helps with other units maneuverability. Too bad her younger self is ridiculously cheap (but not tawdry)

5) Runa - Not a bad clean-up unit. I think it's too tempting to fly her into a crowd at the beginning of the game, while her true worth is found more at the end.

6) Krug - Started out pretty awesome, but became less effective once players figured out how to deal with him.

n/a) Agent Skahen - haven't played her yet, but I like the idea of her...
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Keamon Awa - There's lots of reasons this guy is called awesome.

Grimnak - A staple of orc builds. Chomp makes this guy so much fun to play.

Krug - This guy is a beast. Literaly.

Agent Skahen - Too expensive for what she can do.

Venoc Warlord - Great for vipers, not so much for everything else.

Runa - With apoligies to Killercactus, I just don't see it.

Raelin - As long as the ROTV version is available, why would anyone take this one.

How bout 90 point heroes for the next one? 7 to choose from.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.

Last edited by clancampbell; October 12th, 2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Yaish knows what's in an order marker Yaish knows what's in an order marker

Kaemon Awa - KA armies win. Not every time, but you have a better chance to win every time he's in your army. 120 might be a lot of 'filler', but he's great to throw in with almost any build.

Krug - There are effective strategies to minimize his impact, but that alone has an impact. If you're planning on how to beat Krug your opponent already changed your game plan.

Grimnak - I need more orcs to make him effective, but he can be as terrorizing to squads as a dino riding Orc should be. Great special and great boosts for the price.

Raelin (SOTM) - She was better when she was younger. Sure she has two more spaces to her aura, but it's only half as much. She can attack more too, but if I'm down to attacking with Raelin I already screwed up badly.

Venoc Warlord - He seems like such a good idea for the bonus, but then that 120 points doesn't seem to fit. Maybe I'd like him better if I had some Arnoc buddies for him, but I don't.

Agent Skahen - Don't have her, but I wish I did. I might just pick up a pack of Gladiators and Agents that still clog the Walmart shelves just to make her.

Runa - Not much point in drafting her, unless you want to handicap yourself against a new player without seeming like it.
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:23 PM

Do you guys really think Krug is quite so good anymore? I think he's one of the coolest sculpts in the game, but he's too easy to ignore in a game situation. Just don't put any wounds on him until everybody else is taken care of, and you're set. If your opponent wants to waste turn markers putting their own wounds on Krug, all the better.

I'd actually rather take Mimring than Krug, at this point in the meta-game. And I'd rather take 3 Swog Riders than either of them...
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Yaish knows what's in an order marker Yaish knows what's in an order marker

Like I said in my post, there are lots of strategies for getting around Krug, but that means your opponent made you plan around him, instead of executing your own game plan.

Say you leave him unwounded til last? Now who do YOU have left? Depending on the matchup those 8 life can be hard to go through, especially when Krug starts hitting back.

If he's in a Grut army Krug is all free turns anyway. Even with just two attack dice, I don't want Krug walking into my start zone and getting free play. Now you've got to either run from him, or kill him, or just hope he doesn't land some free wounds.

He's not the warmachine he used to be, but he's no fun coming after you either.
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Ivellius knows what's in an order marker Ivellius knows what's in an order marker

Grimnak - Yes, I do think he's that good. Reasonably tough, especially when combined with Nerak or Raelin, boosts the orcs toughness and attack, and an auto-kill for squads. What's not to like?

Kaemon Awa - Everyone talks about how good he is, but he seems to die pretty quickly in my games. He's still capable of dealing a lot of damage, however.

Venoc Warlord - A little underrated and even more viable now that Mohicans are out. Sure, his Defense is only 3, but he has 6 life and 4 attack. I've used him effectively with the Armocs as a solid clean-up figure, and he makes scouts unbelieveably fast.

Krug - He gets my nod over Skahen for two reasons: bonding and I haven't played with Skahen. The squad-heavy metagame takes his value down considerably, however. Those four-man ranged squads can afford to lose a couple of figures to bring down this beast.

Agent Skahen - She looks decent; I just don't own the figure.

Raelin (SOTM) - She'd be much more valuable if they hadn't made the first one. I look at this Raelin as an errata for the first. She's still good in some builds, but 120 points is quite a bit of your army. Maybe if you can set up Whirlwind Attack occasionally?

Runa - Even with the Minions, I'm liable to take any of these other heroes first.
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Krug-Great sculpt. Great powers. This guy has never failed me. He works great to charge into battle with and destroy some heroes, or to keep in the back for an unstoppable cleanup machine.
Kaemon Awa-Tough and versatile, but a little boring.
Grimnak-Chomp is awesome. Bonding is awesome. I just wish that his base Attack was one higher.
Agent Skahen-I've never played her, but she looks like a reason to look forward to "Special Wave 12"
Raelin (SOTM)-Not as good as Raelin I.
Venoc Warlord-I'd love to play a Scout army based around mind=blowing speed, but 120 points is a lot for +1
Runa-She's got the coolest sculpt in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elginb View Post
You didn't like my suggestion of 140 point heroes?

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Krug-Great sculpt. Great powers. This guy has never failed me. He works great to charge into battle with and destroy some heroes, or to keep in the back for an unstoppable cleanup machine.
Kaemon Awa-Tough and versatile, but a little boring.
Grimnak-Chomp is awesome. Bonding is awesome. I just wish that his base Attack was one higher.
Agent Skahen-I've never played her, but she looks like a reason to look forward to "Special Wave 12"
Raelin (SOTM)-Not as good as Raelin I.
Venoc Warlord-I'd love to play a Scout army based around mind=blowing speed, but 120 points is a lot for +1
Runa-She's got the coolest sculpt in the game.
I was about to type these in the same order. Thanks for saving me the time.
Old October 12th, 2009, 04:40 PM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

Kaemon Awa (Can do anything, love him to death)
Krug (I can't hate him. Just a pure beast)
Grimnak (Chomp)
Venoc Warlord (Good, gives movement. What else is there?)
Agent Skahen (Never played her, but I read over the card, and she seems good)
Raelin (SOTM) (Choose RotV)
Runa (No)

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elginb View Post
You didn't like my suggestion of 140 point heroes?
Actually, I was considering it-- but maybe bundling them with 130 point heroes? I'm also getting a fair amount of suggestions via PM, so I'm working through those right now. And I'm trying to figure out how to include odd numbers, like 65, 75, 105, etc.-- they'll probably get bundled in with other point values, as well, I suppose.

It was suggested that some of these unit comparisons not be point based, like maybe ranking Human Bonding Heroes or something. Whatever the case, keep the ideas coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaish
Like I said in my post, there are lots of strategies for getting around Krug, but that means your opponent made you plan around him, instead of executing your own game plan.

Say you leave him unwounded til last? Now who do YOU have left? Depending on the matchup those 8 life can be hard to go through, especially when Krug starts hitting back.

If he's in a Grut army Krug is all free turns anyway. Even with just two attack dice, I don't want Krug walking into my start zone and getting free play. Now you've got to either run from him, or kill him, or just hope he doesn't land some free wounds.
I don't know, it's just been a long time since Krug's been a major factor in a game I've played. Sure, you have to adjust your strategy, but you have to do that no matter what, and ignoring a unit is relatively easy. I don't think he's likely to kill 120 points by the end-game if he's wound-less, so no matter what I have, I figure I'll be in the driver's seat... especially if I've managed to save a few ranged units. I guess it all depends on what army Krug is facing...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units