Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: 440pt Armies

The first Florida Frenzy I ran was 440pt armies. I can't remember a lot of what was run, but I know mine wasn't worth running again. I also know that more than a few of us were considering running Minions x4!

A quick idea off the top of my head (as much as I don't like a certain unit...)
220 Minions of Utgar x2
090 Atlaga
080 Raelin the Kyrie Warrior (RotV)
050 Marro Warriors

317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Ollie, you should go with:

Sudema - 140
DW8K - 270
Marro Warriors - 320
Deathreavers x3 - 440
That's the sort of army I love to play: a bunch of unique ranged stuff behind a screen of rats. I'm trying to wean myself of rats though (I've used them in 24 tournament games out of a total of 92---more than any other unit).

Here are a few examples of ones I'm considering:

Braxas: 210
Aubriens x3: 210
Marcu: 20
Total: 440pts, 12 hexes.

Dividers x4: 200
Aubriens x2: 140
Iskra and Rechets: 100
Total: 440pts, 22 hexes.

Khosumet: 75
Anubians x2: 150
Wo Badru x2: 160
Me-Burq-Sa: 50
Total: 435pts, 15 hexes.

Marrden Hounds x2: 180
Kee-Mo-Shi: 130
DW8K: 130
Total: 440pts, 14 hexes.

Tor-Kul-Na: 220
Nagrubs x2: 60
Sonlen: 160
Total: 440pts, 9 hexes.
Old September 24th, 2009, 02:52 PM

2xHero knows what's in an order marker 2xHero knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar's puppy View Post
2xHero, omnicrons are great against non-braxas dragons already. They are in their element against heros with high defense. Sudema really isn't going to be worth it.
I know the snipers are good against dragons, but the repulsors are not so much. I know it's not a super-high competitive army, but it more directed towards ollie after this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
As a counterpoint, Im planning a D20-heavy swingy second army. (I consider the deathwalker honorary members of the unreliable D20 power club.) I'm not sure yet what the second army will contain, but probably some mix of strong and weak D20 units: Anubians, Braxas, Mohicans, Marrden Hounds, Ke-Mo-Shi, Dividers, Sudema,...
Still, I should be more clear in my posts. I'll edit.
Old September 25th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xHero View Post
Quote:
As a counterpoint, Im planning a D20-heavy swingy second army. (I consider the deathwalker honorary members of the unreliable D20 power club.) I'm not sure yet what the second army will contain, but probably some mix of strong and weak D20 units: Anubians, Braxas, Mohicans, Marrden Hounds, Ke-Mo-Shi, Dividers, Sudema,...
Still, I should be more clear in my posts. I'll edit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xHero View Post
2x Marrden Hounds 180
Sudema 140 (320)
3x Omnicron Repulsors 120 (440)
22 Spaces

Marrden Hounds can block and plague squads. Repulsors can attack at range or burn through soulborgs. Sudema can take out dragons while the Marrden Hounds tank.
Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you. (I don't have the stamina and/or manners of Aldin---I have no idea how he manages to say something intelligent about every army someone posts in one of his threads.)

I like the theory of yours, but they're all units I happen to find underwhelming compared to others here; that's why it didn't click with me. The repulsors haven't done anything for me yet (I've only tried them with Omnicrons/Zetacron though, not as a stand-alone force). I've lost a bajillion tournament games to Bengi and won one. He was using the hounds in the one I won; I think that is the root of me being wary of them. As for Sudema, I guess I don't think she's worse than most people think. But she is as bad as most people think.

Talking of repulsors...

Omnicon Snipers x3: 300
Repulsors x2: 80
Zetacron: 60
Total: 440pts, 17 hexes.

As I said, it's a combination I haven't got to work yet, but it fits nicely at this point total.

Currently I'm leaning towards Tor-Kul-Na/Nagrubs/Sonlen.
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:45 AM
worthless thread clother

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Well met!

Quote:
Tor-Kul-Na: 220
Nagrubs x2: 60
Sonlen: 160
Total: 440pts, 9 hexes.
If you are playing TKN, you could do worse than a variation on my so far 3-0 TKN army in LIHL's Mixed Marvel series. For 440 points (vs 500):

220 TKN
100 Krav
90 3 x Nagrubs
30 Eldgrim

David

Next Generation

Old September 25th, 2009, 11:19 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

How about something even a bit crazier than the DW build I suggested.

DW8K
Dund
Rats x5
440 - 23 Hexes

Tie everyone up with the rats, take away their OMs with Dund, and mow em dowm with DW8K.

Sounds so easy on paper.

Though my previous build of...

DW8K
DW9K
Rats x4
Isamu
440 - 19 Hexes

...is probably more effective in the end.

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14
Old September 25th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
If you are playing TKN, you could do worse than a variation on my so far 3-0 TKN army in LIHL's Mixed Marvel series. For 440 points (vs 500):

220 TKN
100 Krav
90 3 x Nagrubs
30 Eldgrim
I certainly agree that that's a stronger army than mine. However, the Krav are right up there on the most boringly reliable units list. My first army (we get to take two and a dice roll determines which we use in each game) is thoroughly respectable and uninspired (KoW/Finn/Denrick/Marro Warriors); this army needs some D20 wackiness, and the more the better. I don't want it to be weak but strength is not the primary concern.

Nyys, if you bring the Dund army as your A pick you might not get quite as big a smile from me if we're playing and a symbol comes up.
Old September 25th, 2009, 03:25 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I'm not that brave anyway...

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM

nyphot knows what's in an order marker nyphot knows what's in an order marker nyphot knows what's in an order marker

All this talk about Dund got me thinking... I don't own him so I don't know quite how bad he is. But what about either of these?

110 Dund
120 Skahen
100 KMA
110 Laglor

or

110 Dund
120 Skahen
100 KMA
080 Raelin
030 Guilty (just because)

The 1st seems stronger to me, but I would have to borrow both Dund AND Laglor, so I don't see myself bringing it to NHSD. The idea would be that Skahen and KMA with Laglor outrange most everyone so they'll have to close in on your position... where Dund awaits.

The second build does the same thing, but of course 7 range is easily matched by a number of figures so I don't think it would work quite as well.

Thoughts? Anyone coming to Scape-a-palooza who's not using their Laglor and wouldn't mind loaning him out? (I gotta figure out for sure whether or not I can go to this thing.)

Also, two other armies that I've thought about:
195 Cyprien/Sonya
240 Zombies x4

Very atmospheric, I think.

210 Braxas
100 KMA
080 Raelin
050 Marro Warriors

Boring units, I know, but they're strong and seem like they might work together okay AND I wouldn't need to borrow to make it!

I need you to be awesome. Can you be awesome?

Thanks to AmishBurrito for a promo code and Gulp for sending wound markers!

Last edited by nyphot; September 26th, 2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added some armies.
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The last one looks very strong. If you decide on the Vydar army, I could supply your Laglor (and Dund for that matter).

Here's one:
180 Major Q9
160 Sonlen
100 Your favorite unit
The last 100 points could really be anything. It and Q9 go and attack, Sonlen cleans up and possibly heals Q9.
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby!

An intriguing one:

6x Ashigaru Habs
Raelin

Ashigaru = 4th Mass with less defense. Raelin adds defense. Then you could take a strong second army, like:

2x Blasts
3x Glads
Kumiko

Blasts have trouble with Mass and Rats, which I suspect the first one would too. Is there another strong 440 build?

Q9
3x Stingers
2x Reavers

Quote:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm thinking about the stategy im building an army for the format... You want Army A to be very powerful for you but easy to defeat. TKN/Dund comes to mind that fits the criteria for me, but the points don't really fit. I guess Glads/Blasts would be good if you know how to use them. Unfortunately, I don't have any.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion