Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old July 31st, 2017, 06:37 PM

Dark_Stranger knows what's in an order marker Dark_Stranger knows what's in an order marker
Dark_Stranger's Customs: Bump in the Night [10/30]

All of these cards were formatted with Xorlof's X-2 Card Creator, without which I wouldn't have had time to make nearly as many.
Any feedback is deeply appreciated, as these guys are all incompletely playtested, and I'm sure at least a few of them are horrifically mispriced...
And with that word of warning, here we go!

UTGAR: Kul-Teth-Na; Marro Scurriers; Ghul-No-Ra; Val-Rho-Shi; No-Ga-Ra; Gek-Thron-Sa; Nen-Sul-Ra; Ur-Kek-Sa; Ze-Gek-Sa; Lichlord Rathnar (new!); Marr Gorgevine (new-ish!)
Spoiler Alert!

VALKRILL: Hand of Ymir; The Burning Lady; Rawhead (new!); Grendel (new!); Harvestman (new!)
Spoiler Alert!

JANDAR: Sul-Van-Non
Spoiler Alert!

VYDAR: Holographic Thrashers; Serrex (new!)
Spoiler Alert!

AQUILLA: Phoenixes of Burning Forge; Auriel Tidelash; Tidal Servant
Spoiler Alert!

These next few are a bit more important. The brother who helped me with No-Ga-Ra is a Tolkein nut, so for Christmas I'm making him some Middle-Earth Heroscape. As I'm not just doing these for kicks, critique on these guys is doubly appreciated.

MIDDLE-EARTH [AQUILLA/UTGAR]: Dori; Nori; Ori; Fili; Kili; Sauron
Spoiler Alert!

Thanks for looking! I have quite a bit more in the works--we'll see when I have time to finish it...

Last edited by Dark_Stranger; October 30th, 2017 at 07:00 PM. Reason: New cards!
Old August 5th, 2017, 01:13 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Dark_Stranger's Customs

Wow, these are pretty sweet. I had given you rep the other day with a promise to critique some of these, so here I am!

Kul-Teth-Na/Scurriers: First of all, sweet paintjob on both of these. I especially like the black tentacles for the Scurriers. There are only two suggestions I have after glancing over these guys, one is that I would give Eldritch Aura markers to go along with it, and the other relates to the Nagrubs. Between their Life Bonding and Brood Renewal and Life Siphon, and Teth having 7 life and 6 defense, I can see those 350 points (KTN, Scurriers, & 2x Nagrubs) being nearly unstoppable. Perhaps specifying an OM reveal to activate Brood Renewal and/or lowering his defense to 4/5 could bring him more into the realm of reality. I, of course, have not played with him though, so this might not be as overpowered as I'm imagining it to be.

Ghul-No-Ra: Wow, grody looking figure there. And another very tough Marro to take down, not being a Hivelord makes him reasonable though. Projectile Toss is quite a fun power, but I wonder about it not damaging the second figure. Hmm... There's already quite a bit of text on that card, so this would be tricky to remedy. Maybe upping the d20 roll and damaging both figures would be an idea, I'd probably go with 16 or higher if that were the case, but really the way it currently stands looks reasonable, just a little thematically weird for me.

Val-Rho-Shi: She is by far my favorite figure of the bunch. With that scythe, though, I want to see some benefit to engaging figures with her. Toxic Infusion could only work on adjacent figures, perhaps. Also, about Toxic Infusion, limiting the number of Poison Markers she starts the game with would probably be a good idea, but not that important of one.

No-Ga-Ra: What a devious little guy. No real feedback to give here, other than that I like him. Hmm... Maybe require two skulls for Staff of Death? That's all I can think of.

Hand of Ymir: Well, I do love putting Markers on powers, so I'll suggest that for Vice Grip. Additionally, lowering the Hand's move while it's grabbing somebody would make thematic sense to me.

Holographic Thrashers: Yay! Whirlwind Assault! It quite bothers me that these guys don't have at least Double Attack in AotP... Oh well. Reconstituted Beam is really neat. With standard 3/4 attack/defense it looks like it'll be a tough call on when to Beam them up, and they look like they are worth 70, if you play them right. Very nice.

Phoenixes of Burning Forge: Neat. I don't play with the dwarves much, but these guys look like they would make them a brutal force. On top of that, flying, move 7, Lava Resistant, and attack 4 means that moving these guys into position is not at all a waste of an OM or two, as they will do plenty damage on there own, especially on maps with a lot of Lava Field on height.

Auriel Tidlash/Tidal Servant: Looks like a fun, thematic pair. Riptide looks neat and weird, instead of attacking makes it a pretty hard choice to use it, but then it's range 10 makes up for that. Reading your note about moving friendly figures around with it makes me like it a lot more, though I'm still not sure how useful of a power it would be in play. Tidal Servant makes Auriel able to survive some attacks at least, and from a distance, so that's pretty sweet. Steam Boil is one of the goofiest powers I've ever seen, and for that, I like it.

Dori Nori and Ori: These guys look fun for suri. Come Away from There looks super helpful, and Filch 14 could be a game changer. Pulling a Glyph from under a figure onto height under Nori, who has defense 5. Oh my. It might be a bit tricky to use these three effectively, but they could definitely mess with your opponent's head at least.

Sauron: Very nicely done. The Ring is pretty cool too! I don't really have much to say for this guy, but I like him.

I feel somewhat bad for having so much less feedback for your customs you specified as wanting more feedback on... But I really don't see much to change about them. I have no idea about their point-costs, but they don't seem too off to me. If you want to playtest them online sometime you can hit me up though! Then I could help with point costs, or something like that. What a batch of first customs!

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old August 7th, 2017, 11:04 PM

Dark_Stranger knows what's in an order marker Dark_Stranger knows what's in an order marker

Thanks for the feedback!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
Kul-Teth-Na/Scurriers: First of all, sweet paintjob on both of these. I especially like the black tentacles for the Scurriers. There are only two suggestions I have after glancing over these guys, one is that I would give Eldritch Aura markers to go along with it, and the other relates to the Nagrubs. Between their Life Bonding and Brood Renewal and Life Siphon, and Teth having 7 life and 6 defense, I can see those 350 points (KTN, Scurriers, & 2x Nagrubs) being nearly unstoppable. Perhaps specifying an OM reveal to activate Brood Renewal and/or lowering his defense to 4/5 could bring him more into the realm of reality. I, of course, have not played with him though, so this might not be as overpowered as I'm imagining it to be.
I'm glad to hear they came out looking alright! Acrylics have never been my preferred medium, and I'm still building confidence when it comes to painting minis. (Though I have to admit, the Scurrers are a dark olive, not black. The red background makes them look darker than I anticipated--though I might have to consider darkening them up in real life if it looks that good!)
I agree that Brood renewal should require an OM, and Eldritch Aura would probably benefit from markers as well. I'll have to test him with the build you pointed out sometime and see if his defense needs lowered, though honestly I suppose I should probably drop it to 5 regardless.

Quote:
Ghul-No-Ra: Wow, grody looking figure there. And another very tough Marro to take down, not being a Hivelord makes him reasonable though. Projectile Toss is quite a fun power, but I wonder about it not damaging the second figure. Hmm... There's already quite a bit of text on that card, so this would be tricky to remedy. Maybe upping the d20 roll and damaging both figures would be an idea, I'd probably go with 16 or higher if that were the case, but really the way it currently stands looks reasonable, just a little thematically weird for me.
Well, the second figure is meant to be "affected", though looking back at the card with your feedback in mind, I can see how the wording could be misinterpreted. How does this sound?
Projectile Toss Special Attack: Range 1. Attack 4. If Ghul-No-Ra wounds or destroys a figure with Projectile Toss Special Attack, he may attack a second time with Projectile Toss Special Attack. This second attack has a range of 4, and cannot target the same figure as the first attack. Place the first affected figure on the nearest empty space to the second figure. Figures moved by Projectile Toss Special Attack never take leaving engagement attacks.

Quote:
Val-Rho-Shi: She is by far my favorite figure of the bunch. With that scythe, though, I want to see some benefit to engaging figures with her. Toxic Infusion could only work on adjacent figures, perhaps. Also, about Toxic Infusion, limiting the number of Poison Markers she starts the game with would probably be a good idea, but not that important of one.
What if I lowered her attack by 2 and gave her something along the lines of:
Venomous Scythe: When Val-Rho-Shi attacks an adjacent figure, add 2 dice to her attack.
That would encourage getting up close and personal, as well as keeping Toxic Infusion under control a bit, without requiring a cost increase. In fact, I'm pretty sure nerfing her ranged attack could lower her cost by 5-10 points.

Quote:
No-Ga-Ra: What a devious little guy. No real feedback to give here, other than that I like him. Hmm... Maybe require two skulls for Staff of Death? That's all I can think of.
I considered (and sometimes revisit the idea of) increasing the skull requirement, but at the end of the day I worry more about making him too weak. I think that the limitation of a single melee attack, as well as his lack of bonding, keep No-Ga-Ra from being too powerful against squads, and most low-Life heroes have the range to get a shot or two in before he can engage.

Quote:
Hand of Ymir: Well, I do love putting Markers on powers, so I'll suggest that for Vice Grip. Additionally, lowering the Hand's move while it's grabbing somebody would make thematic sense to me.
I definitely see the sense in both these suggestions. It might take some doing to work them into Vice Grip (which is already a it clunky in my opinion), I think it will be worth the trouble.

Quote:
Holographic Thrashers: Yay! Whirlwind Assault! It quite bothers me that these guys don't have at least Double Attack in AotP... Oh well. Reconstituted Beam is really neat. With standard 3/4 attack/defense it looks like it'll be a tough call on when to Beam them up, and they look like they are worth 70, if you play them right. Very nice.
Thanks! I went through several ideas for what these guys were actually going to be, but I never even considered not giving them Whirlwind Assault; they just seemed to require it. Amusingly enough, coming up with a properly thematic name for reconstituted Beam took a lot longer than the actual mechanics.

Quote:
Phoenixes of Burning Forge: Neat. I don't play with the dwarves much, but these guys look like they would make them a brutal force. On top of that, flying, move 7, Lava Resistant, and attack 4 means that moving these guys into position is not at all a waste of an OM or two, as they will do plenty damage on there own, especially on maps with a lot of Lava Field on height.
Yeah, dwarves are a big favorite at my house. It's probably why I even considered linking them to phoenixes in the first place.

Quote:
Auriel Tidlash/Tidal Servant: Looks like a fun, thematic pair. Riptide looks neat and weird, instead of attacking makes it a pretty hard choice to use it, but then it's range 10 makes up for that. Reading your note about moving friendly figures around with it makes me like it a lot more, though I'm still not sure how useful of a power it would be in play. Tidal Servant makes Auriel able to survive some attacks at least, and from a distance, so that's pretty sweet. Steam Boil is one of the goofiest powers I've ever seen, and for that, I like it.
I guess Riptide is pretty situational/terrain dependent, but it just seemed like something a person who controls water should be able to do. And I'll admit the basic thought process for Steam Boil was (a) a man made of water probably wouldn't react well to lava, (b) Auriel can resurrect him anyway, (c) so why not? It's even more of a niche power than Riptide, but once I came up with it, I couldn't bear to leave it off.

Quote:
Dori Nori and Ori: These guys look fun for suri. Come Away from There looks super helpful, and Filch 14 could be a game changer. Pulling a Glyph from under a figure onto height under Nori, who has defense 5. Oh my. It might be a bit tricky to use these three effectively, but they could definitely mess with your opponent's head at least.

Sauron: Very nicely done. The Ring is pretty cool too! I don't really have much to say for this guy, but I like him.
I'm glad to hear these guys are holding up to scrutiny so far; I anticipate them getting drafted a lot come December.

Quote:
I feel somewhat bad for having so much less feedback for your customs you specified as wanting more feedback on... But I really don't see much to change about them. I have no idea about their point-costs, but they don't seem too off to me. If you want to playtest them online sometime you can hit me up though! Then I could help with point costs, or something like that. What a batch of first customs!
You've been extremely helpful; all your advice was very good, and it's nice to know that I'm mostly on the right track--or at least something resembling it! Unfortunately, I'm not going to have time for any sort of playtesting for at least a few weeks, as an impending art show is devouring most of my time, but I'll certainly keep your offer in mind.
Thank you once more for taking the time to look over all these guys; I really appreciate it.
Old August 7th, 2017, 11:31 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Stranger View Post
Well, the second figure is meant to be "affected", though looking back at the card with your feedback in mind, I can see how the wording could be misinterpreted. How does this sound?
Projectile Toss Special Attack: Range 1. Attack 4. If Ghul-No-Ra wounds or destroys a figure with Projectile Toss Special Attack, he may attack a second time with Projectile Toss Special Attack. This second attack has a range of 4, and cannot target the same figure as the first attack. Place the first affected figure on the nearest empty space to the second figure. Figures moved by Projectile Toss Special Attack never take leaving engagement attacks.

Ooohhh... That makes a lot more sense. I like that power a lot more that way, are you getting rid of the d20 wound on the thrown figure?

Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

What if I lowered her attack by 2 and gave her something along the lines of:
Venomous Scythe: When Val-Rho-Shi attacks an adjacent figure, add 2 dice to her attack.
That would encourage getting up close and personal, as well as keeping Toxic Infusion under control a bit, without requiring a cost increase. In fact, I'm pretty sure nerfing her ranged attack could lower her cost by 5-10 points.

Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

I considered (and sometimes revisit the idea of) increasing the skull requirement, but at the end of the day I worry more about making him too weak. I think that the limitation of a single melee attack, as well as his lack of bonding, keep No-Ga-Ra from being too powerful against squads, and most low-Life heroes have the range to get a shot or two in before he can engage.

On second thought I can definitely see it only requiring one skull, especially given his other limitations. I have to remember that Chomp is a legitimate power, and in play doesn't end up feeling super OP, so I think Staff of Death is more reasonable than I initially though.

Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

Thanks! I went through several ideas for what these guys were actually going to be, but I never even considered not giving them Whirlwind Assault; they just seemed to require it. Amusingly enough, coming up with a properly thematic name for reconstituted Beam took a lot longer than the actual mechanics.

I really don't understand them not having double attack in AotP. It's not like they have too many powers to add it on, and the figures do demand something like that. You did end up with quite a good name for the beam in the end.

Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

You've been extremely helpful; all your advice was very good, and it's nice to know that I'm mostly on the right track--or at least something resembling it! Unfortunately, I'm not going to have time for any sort of playtesting for at least a few weeks, as an impending art show is devouring most of my time, but I'll certainly keep your offer in mind.
Thank you once more for taking the time to look over all these guys; I really appreciate it.

Of course! Looking over other people's customs is always fun, and if I can actually be helpful that's even more of a bonus. I look forward to seeing more Dark Customs and potentially playing with some!

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old August 24th, 2017, 02:41 PM

Well, I finally got around to giving my first post the update it desperately needed--everything is now sorted into nice, spoiler-tagged folders, and the enlarged size of each card is much bigger.
I also posted updated versions of Kul-Teth-Na, Ghul-No-Ra, Val-Rho-Shi, and the Hand of Ymir, as well as three new cards in Valkrill and the all-important Middle-Earth folder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
Quote:

Ooohhh... That makes a lot more sense. I like that power a lot more that way, are you getting rid of the d20 wound on the thrown figure?
I was considering sacrificing that little wrinkle for space reasons, but it turned out not to be necessary. False alarm!
Old September 20th, 2017, 03:41 PM

Re: Dark_Stranger's Customs: Much More Marro Malevolence! [9

I need to make something that isn't a Marro. Someday soon, just you wait...

Miniature: Marro Warrior, modified [Drone head; horn from Su-Bak-Na; tentacles from wire and milliput; paint]

Bio: Gek-Thron-Sa began life as a lowly Marro Drone, a lowly life form only noteworthy for its odd knack for survival. Time and again, the expendable savage pulled through what should have been deadly encounters, and slowly but surely it began to learn...and, eventually, to change.
Eventually, even the most rigid had to admit that this was no longer a common Drone, but something new. Adjustments were made, albeit rather reluctantly, and a new Warlord was officially born--a potent cross between the wild savagery of a Drone and the twisted cunning of the higher castes. His knack for survival is as great as ever, and as foe after foe falls before him, his thrashing tendrils siphon off their genetic material, incorporating it into his body on the fly to become ever stronger. Heroes slice through countless Drones with ease...but they have learned to fear Gek-Thron-Sa!

Pretty much just the Marro's genetic modification shtick taken up to eleven. I do like how the war paint on his Drone-crest turned out, though.

Miniature: Marro Warrior, modified [Stinger head; wings from AotP Ob Nixilus; paint]

Bio: Marro are not the sort to let good genetic material go to waste. Over the years, the bodies of fallen Kyrie warriors have been harvested for superior samples. Now, after countless refinements, Nen-Sul-Ra is ready to take to the battlefield, and make all who stand against the swarm of the Marro look to the skies in fear...

What can I say? A perverse mind like mine can combine Marro with anything; that's part of the beauty of the species.

Miniature: Marro Stinger, modified [Marro Warrior head; two pairs of Drudge arms; paint]

Another collaboration with the co-Creator of No-Ga-Ra.

Miniature: Marro Drudge, modified [Arms from AotP Ob Nixilus; milliput; paint]

See above, about crossing Marro with anything.

Miniature: Marro Warrior, modified [paint]

Bio: At some point, a Marro Hive on Valhalla began giving birth to life forms that were later discovered to be defective, displaying personality traits that were completely undesirable. Watching the resulting purge, one trainee Warlord knew he needed to keep his defective mind a secret if he wanted to remain alive. So he acted the part of a perfectly normal Marro, and bided his time...
Eventually, he chanced to be in a battle where things quickly turned against Utgar's force. Seizing his chance, he opened fire on his own disintegrating forces. The lawman Johnny Sullivan noticed this strange behavior, and his intervention saved the rogue Marro from being dispatched with the rest of the stragglers.
In gratitude, the Marro rechristened himself after the human who rescued him, and took the title "Non", to signify his separation from the rest of his kind. Hastily bedecked in Jandar-blue war paint, Sul-Van-Non is prepared to live and die for his new cause.
Old September 21st, 2017, 07:51 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: Dark_Stranger's Customs: Much More Marro Malevolence! [9

Wow - those are some really cool Marro! Wish I was able to add them to my collection! Well, I have some extra Marro Warriors, so there's a shot with Sul-Van-Non and Nen-Sul-Ra - but man, the others are cool too, and Gek-Thron-Sa is particularly taunting me!

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old October 31st, 2017, 06:58 PM

Re: Dark_Stranger's Customs: Bump in the Night [10/30]

Bleeehh. Meant to get this update out over a week ago, but real life has been very inconsiderate lately. Maybe later this week I'll be able to edit the new cards into this post, but I can't say for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Wow - those are some really cool Marro! Wish I was able to add them to my collection! Well, I have some extra Marro Warriors, so there's a shot with Sul-Van-Non and Nen-Sul-Ra - but man, the others are cool too, and Gek-Thron-Sa is particularly taunting me!
Thanks; I'm glad you like them! It may be a bit premature to talk about just yet, but I am hoping to take commissions eventually...

I spent ten minutes trying to word that in a way that didn't sound like blatant self-promotion. Guess I'm just too tired for subtlety. See above, under "Bleeehh".

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards