Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old March 16th, 2022, 04:58 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Hex Mats

I'm currently working with a company here in San Diego to make some mats with hexagonal patterns that are the same size as Heroscape tiles, so if any of you are interested in it I'll let you know how mine comes out once it's all said and done.

Here is their website:

https://abovealladvertising.net/

I gave them a few of my tiles to hold onto for testing and measurements. We spoke about making the mats as a table throw cover, but I was also told they could make it from another material that doesn't shrink in the manufacturing process to ensure the hexes come out at the correct size. I'm going back in early next week to take a look at some samples they come up with.

From what I gathered, a typical hex is about 51.2mm across from point to point. If anyone has lexan mats or Hotzmats, could you measure the dimensions of the printed hexes? I don't have any myself, but since those already are known to be of the right measurements it would be helpful if we could know what mm dimensions they are.
Old March 16th, 2022, 05:48 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Hex Mats

Old March 16th, 2022, 06:38 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I just realized I have the stl files for hyground and the classic heroscape pieces, I'm gonna check what the dimensions they are in the software program and then that should better than trying to get measurements by hand with a ruler
Old March 16th, 2022, 11:47 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Interested in this - I know Cavalier made Lexan mats for awhile and I regret missing out on those at the time. They'll probably use calipers to measure (or should), and the more hexes they can measure at once the more the measurement error gets spread out.
Old March 17th, 2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
Interested in this - I know Cavalier made Lexan mats for awhile and I regret missing out on those at the time. They'll probably use calipers to measure (or should), and the more hexes they can measure at once the more the measurement error gets spread out.

Yeah I wish I had bought those back in the day, I always thought they looked cool.

The main reason why I want a mat is so I don't have to bring as much terrain with me to a friends house when I travel since the mat will take care of the first level of the map
Old March 22nd, 2022, 04:48 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I have a couple of hex mats and they are certainly very handy to help set up a board more quickly. The hexes on the ones I have ended up being just slightly off on the size though and it can make an impact. If I use the mats as the base layer with out many tiles on top, you don't really notice. If lots of 24 hex tiles are being used for a fairly dense second layer though, it starts causing problems. So I would recommend testing whatever you are working on before mass production to get it right.
Old March 22nd, 2022, 05:04 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

@japes has some pretty solid measurements for what things should be in terms of hex size.

My space and sky mats are both pretty sweet, but I wouldn't say the hexes are *perfect* in size on either.

Excited to see this go forward.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 23rd, 2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
@japes has some pretty solid measurements for what things should be in terms of hex size.

My space and sky mats are both pretty sweet, but I wouldn't say the hexes are *perfect* in size on either.

For my purposes I would be using the mat so that I don't have to place down many tiles, so I wouldn't expect a scenario in which I have 30 hexes in a row that would produce a significant offset, so I'd be okay with some degree of error
Old March 23rd, 2022, 05:39 PM

I just spoke with someone from the company again today, we're considering doing a mat made from vinyl that would cover the surface of the table, but would be small enough that there wouldn't be a large amount of overhang off the table since the material is less flexible than a throw over table cover.

I let them know some other people may be interested in purchasing once a design is finalized, so they should hold onto any designs they used after they make mine

Also, a second company is sending me a polyester table cover so I'll see how well it matches up with heroscape tiles
Old March 23rd, 2022, 08:08 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

What size table are you working with? If you want the entire mat to be playable, you might actually consider going a little smaller so that players have room for cards and dice and what not.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 23rd, 2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
What size table are you working with? If you want the entire mat to be playable, you might actually consider going a little smaller so that players have room for cards and dice and what not.
I have a 4 ft by 6 ft table. I'd rather get a mat that covers the whole thing and just not use the portions where we place our cards, that way if I ever want to transfer to a larger table it still cover a larger area. For a smaller table I'd probably not even bother with a mat, plus I could choose to order some smaller mats in addition
Old March 24th, 2022, 01:54 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Roshi View Post
Quote:

For my purposes I would be using the mat so that I don't have to place down many tiles, so I wouldn't expect a scenario in which I have 30 hexes in a row that would produce a significant offset, so I'd be okay with some degree of error

You might be surprised how often you do want to run a bunch of hexes in a row. Say you want to make a map with a river running through it, lava flow, or an icy creek. How about a road?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles